Best work boots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best ever for me were a pair of Haix GSG9. They lasted for well over three years. Thick, strong, high quality leather and as comfortable as any boot I've ever owned. My second choice would be Timberland Pro Pit Boss.

https://www.haixusa.com

Last edited:
I want a 6" leather boot with speed laces, composite toe, electrical rated and non slip on ice soles. Not the easiest to find. I usually end up with Wolverines but the current pair has been disappointing. I bough one pair of Redwings some years ago. Uncomfortable throughout their admittedly long life. This after having them fitted and refitted at a Redwing store. I'm thinking of going the cheap route and buying 4 pairs of cheap boots that cost the same as one pair of my usual.

For winter boots Redwing 8 inch that are 12 years old and have been resoled once.
For the rest of the year Keen which are over two years old and need laces. Have some Georgia that are rarely worn due to discomfort. Boots are used in the woods on rocky soil so se a hard life. Use mink oil on them twice a year.

Went to the Red Wing store this morning and pulled the trigger on a pair of 4215s for about $250 after taxes. Has all the attributes I wanted without any of the stuff I don't need like insulation, puncture resistance, met-guards, etc. Gave them a good once-over at the store; looked good, felt good, good reviews online. That's about where the fun ended.

Got home and immediately applied Toe Armor as I have with all my new boots. Knock on wood, I've never had cut up toes using the stuff, while most my coworkers leather toes are chewed through to the steel toe after a few months.

While applying the toe armor, I had the boots close up and I noticed a few errant threads up top that looked unsecured/incomplete. Naturally, with a $250 boot, you want to give them a tug and make sure they are fastened down such that they won't unravel. Gave it a quick tug and the thread unraveled several stitches. This issue was present in two places. On one, eventually it reached a cross stitch which halted any further unraveling. The other, if I were to continue to pull, I imagine I could pull the whole thread out. The adhesive looks suspect in the area as well, as the leather/adhesive can be pulled apart effortlessly where the stitching is now gone. Needless to say, I'm less than impressed given the amount of money put out for these.

Now I kick myself that I both applied the toe armor, and didn't catch this at the store. I have experienced something similar more than once with cheap boots and would simply have my wife put a couple stitches over top to secure them and prevent further unraveling. Since this is in an area not exposed to a huge amount of wear and tear, I briefly considered doing the same with these, but I'm hesitant to make any alterations that might affect the warranty down the road.

What do you guys think I should do, and how might you think Red Wing will handle this? I'm fairly confident they won't give me a one to one exchange given that the toe armor is on there now. Truth be told I'd rather they send them in repair, since I don't need them right away and spent a lot of time meticulously applying the toe armor. I suppose the best way to judge a company is by their customer service and handling of warranty issues, but was hoping I wouldn't have to experience that so soon! Worst case scenario is they might suggest I intentionally pulled the thread out, but there's zero chance those would have held up under normal use, they would have pulled out in short order anyways.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Went to the Red Wing store this morning and pulled the trigger on a pair of 4215s for about $250 after taxes. Has all the attributes I wanted without any of the stuff I don't need like insulation, puncture resistance, met-guards, etc. Gave them a good once-over at the store; looked good, felt good, good reviews online. That's about where the fun ended.

Got home and immediately applied Toe Armor as I have with all my new boots. Knock on wood, I've never had cut up toes using the stuff, while most my coworkers leather toes are chewed through to the steel toe after a few months.

While applying the toe armor, I had the boots close up and I noticed a few errant threads up top that looked unsecured/incomplete. Naturally, with a $250 boot, you want to give them a tug and make sure they are fastened down such that they won't unravel. Gave it a quick tug and the thread unraveled several stitches. This issue was present in two places. On one, eventually it reached a cross stitch which halted any further unraveling. The other, if I were to continue to pull, I imagine I could pull the whole thread out. The adhesive looks suspect in the area as well, as the leather/adhesive can be pulled apart effortlessly where the stitching is now gone. Needless to say, I'm less than impressed given the amount of money put out for these.

Now I kick myself that I both applied the toe armor, and didn't catch this at the store. I have experienced something similar more than once with cheap boots and would simply have my wife put a couple stitches over top to secure them and prevent further unraveling. Since this is in an area not exposed to a huge amount of wear and tear, I briefly considered doing the same with these, but I'm hesitant to make any alterations that might affect the warranty down the road.

What do you guys think I should do, and how might you think Red Wing will handle this? I'm fairly confident they won't give me a one to one exchange given that the toe armor is on there now. Truth be told I'd rather they send them in repair, since I don't need them right away and spent a lot of time meticulously applying the toe armor. I suppose the best way to judge a company is by their customer service and handling of warranty issues, but was hoping I wouldn't have to experience that so soon! Worst case scenario is they might suggest I intentionally pulled the thread out, but there's zero chance those would have held up under normal use, they would have pulled out in short order anyways.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Man, I hate to hear that. I have a similar pair of 6” DynaForce soft toes that are 7 years old. I have just about worn the soles down to where the are getting close to going in the garbage. I have regulated them to yard work. I partially melted one sole, while raking the burn pile.
I would take them back and see what they will do for you. It may take sending Redwing some photos of the shoes, the receipt, and an email. DO NOT wear them. A scuffed sole will get you in trouble.

If you live near any Military Surplus stores you can usually find some Surplus boots and they usually sell them for $30-50 and lots of time they are brand new in the box.

Have a pair of Keen for everyday and Red Wings for winter. First pair of Keens lasted three years and the Red Wings 16 years with 2 resoles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back