best way to unstick valves

Do you know for fact that the valve is not closing?
no. before I did lifters it always leaked compression when cold, took the intake off and watched it bubble through some WD-40. but since I've done lifters it rarely misses on that cylinder. however sometimes it acts just like it did before I did lifters, making me think varnish on the valve stem (from when the lifters held it open) is still making it stick slightly. it sealed completely with the rockers off after I used a rubber mallet to unstick the valve. i have run mmo in the oil before I did lifters, but haven't run anything since I replaced lifters. when I have some free time I'll put some oil in the gas and seafoam in the intake.

no. before I did lifters it always leaked compression when cold, took the intake off and watched it bubble through some WD-40. but since I've done lifters it rarely misses on that cylinder. however sometimes it acts just like it did before I did lifters, making me think varnish on the valve stem (from when the lifters held it open) is still making it stick slightly. it sealed completely with the rockers off after I used a rubber mallet to unstick the valve. i have run mmo in the oil before I did lifters, but haven't run anything since I replaced lifters. when I have some free time I'll put some oil in the gas and seafoam in the intake.
Kreen might be a great slow cleaner. I might be inclined to do the rope trick and remove the valve spring and inspect and replace it.

ran seafoam through the intake, engine seems quieter and starts quicker. no noticeable power gain. i plan to start tcw3 someday soon

How did the engine get like this? Not being pretentious here, but I have over 460,000 miles on my old sludge-monster 1MZ-FE and over 300k on two other vehicles and I've never had a stuck valve or lifter. I also don't add anything to my oil or to the fuel, so how did this engine get so stuck?

it sat in Arizona for 4 years, my theory is old gasoline gummed the valve open, or a lifter stuck. the lifters are held together with a plastic ring, and my plastic rings happened to be disintegrating after 20 years. if a lifter is holding a valve open deposits can build up on the valve stem, and then when you replace the lifters and the valve tries to close, it can't. and the engine wasn't that stuck, it just didn't like cold mornings.

Back