Best way to rid an area of fruit flies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't buy coffee here.. Every time I go into the back room or coffee urn island, there are fruit flies. "It's really bad, customers have been saying at least twice in the morning that dead flies are at bottom of their cup, once a fruit fly and once a regular one." Happened to me once... eeewww. New York Bold coffee, huh. Anyways...

Yes, seriously, they "swarm" when I walk past in the back room. Manager knows about it.. called for exterminator today. But they are still here.. Being 3rd shift, I considered buying a "Bug Salter" but how effective is it? Maybe in the back room, as I do not want to spray salt on coffee area.

Even now, they buzz around my head.

Fruit flies.

So.. what's the best method to rid the store of these flies? Manager knows.. and she would admire my initiative in helping. What can I further do, besides stand here and fend off gnats?

Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio
Even now, they buzz around my head.

Fruit flies.

Change your shampoo and forgo the apple cider vinegar rinse. I'm having also problems with fruit fly infestation. Read here about my latest effort involving a carnivorous plant.

Remove the fruit. 2 days, they will be gone.

hint: they also hide in potatos.

Last edited:

Yes, seriously, they "swarm" when I walk past in the back room. Manager knows about it.. called for exterminator today. But they are still here.. Being 3rd shift, I considered buying a "Bug Salter" but how effective is it? Maybe in the back room, as I do not want to spray salt on coffee area.

Are you in charge of getting rid of the flies? Without specific authorization or training, don't go throwing pixie dust around!

Locally, flypaper strips are illegal in restaurants. "Unsanitary". IDK why, they trap bugs FFS.

The best way is to anonymously complain to the health dept. Do this at peril of your career, of course. The Health Inspector will light a fire under your boss like you cannot.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Are you in charge of getting rid of the flies? Without specific authorization or training, don't go throwing pixie dust around!

Locally, flypaper strips are illegal in restaurants. "Unsanitary". IDK why, they trap bugs FFS.

The best way is to anonymously complain to the health dept. Do this at peril of your career, of course. The Health Inspector will light a fire under your boss like you cannot.

I called health depth on Dunkin Donuts. They got $10,000 fine for muffins on the floor. Not a [censored] thing happened to me since I was so right and could not be retaliated against.. I was an untouchable Golden God.

The Fire Chief gets coffee here every day. They way the fire exit was blocked up until a month ago with stuff was a [censored] shame. He is 12 feet away from it.. every morning. Chief Avery I think. At least that's what the tag says. BFD. If I so much as said, "Hey Chief, check this out, what do you think" and opened that door.. I wouldn't have a job, because I'm be "that guy" that got Bayonne ' best 7-11 shuttered.

I found a syringe in parking lot 2 nights ago. Disposed of it in trash, since it looked new and had cap on (???...) Told next two cops that came in about it, they think I made a smart call, "since the cap was on."

And my manager likes my knowledge of CDC, Inventory, FIFO, The English language.. I'm gonna get promoted soon I can feel it. So I got the green light to help get rid of bugs. 7-11 is the wild wild west.. even started as a ice thing in Dallas, TX.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Remove the fruit. 2 days, they will be gone.

hint: they also hide in potatos.

They are in the coffee and soda (boxes of soda, urns of coffee)

Pics.

Two nights ago:

20150909_005210_zpsfdvzmthr.jpg

FB_IMG_1441774427635_zpsdxeczrjg.jpg

A week ago, when I drank a fly in some New York Bold coffee:

Screenshot_2015-09-10-09-24-53_zpssaxg5yvn.png

Screenshot_2015-09-10-09-25-52_zpszb8sre5m.png

And I know I have the pics of those muffins on the floor, I just have to look.

Cornholio Is On Your Side. Ask The Great Cornholio.

clean out any drains. if there is any organic material breaking down and/or fermenting, it will attract them as well.

google "drain flies"

get fruit fly traps they are sanitary and safe for food areas (as long as you dont spill them)

also a small fan blowing near a problem area will move them along.

Out of my Venus fly trap's two dozen mouths six are closed today, which makes me believe that six flies are currenty being digested, The question is whether or not my fly trap can keep up with the fruit fly population explosion. I have ordered two more fly traps which I expect to arrive in a few days.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
God dang!!!

Even fruit flies are bigger and fatter in the US of A
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

There are many species of fruit fly in various sizes. My fruit flies are diminuitive. Each one is tiny like a poppy seed with a 1.5 mm wingspan. When the cloud rises, it's silent and reminiscent of a nano cloud out of sci-fi. Read Michael Cricton's Prey, and you will get the idea.

I don't know about fruit flies, but I used to have a gnat infestation in my house. They were living in the soil of houseplants. The vinegar-bowl trick didn't work. What worked very well was smearing permethrin on the inside of windows. During the day, the gnats are attracted to light and hover around the windows. Permethrin is a relatively safe insecticide.

Just a warning, don't do this if you have cats that like to sit on window sills because it's toxic to felines.

I'd rather not use insecticide around the house. Not only for the sake of the people who live here but also for the sake of my parakeets. If my carnivorous plants don't work out, I wonder if a gecko with its sticky tongue might be of service. I alread can see it. Having gathered and given a home to many natural predators of flies, my house resembles a bizarre zoo and biotope.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: BRZED
I'd rather not use insecticide around the house. Not only for the sake of the people who live here but also for the sake of my parakeets. If my carnivorous plants don't work out, I wonder if a gecko with its sticky tongue might be of service. I alread can see it. Having gathered and given a home to many natural predators of flies, my house resembles a bizarre zoo and biotope.
grin2.gif

I hated the idea of using insecticides inside the house, but I did a lot of research and permethrin is probably the safest thing out there. It's USDA approved for use in restaurants, it's used by the military to spray uniforms to kill mosquitos, it's used in human lice shampooo, and it's used to control fleas on livestock and pets (besides cats). After a week, all the gnats were gone so I cleaned the windows w/ soapy water to remove the insecticide residue.

Here is what I just did:

20150913_201152_zpsubn2xcvg.jpg

20150913_201208_zpsinit3ocy.jpg

20150913_201214_zpsm4tzb6us.jpg

20150913_201233_zpshvef7h9s.jpg

^^ Authorized by the manager.

How do you think this will do against the army of flies in there? I can tell you that even as I was putting it off some flies came to the thing, or to me..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back