Best way to remove paint overspray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a used car recently and noticed that it got hit with some idiot's paint overspray at some point. Not sure how old it is, presumably much longer than the 3 weeks I've owned it. It is a fine mist. Thousands of tiny whitish specs everywhere on one side of the car. I'm assuming it is a latex based paint considering I can scratch off some of the spots with my nail with a lot of effort. I easily removed paint from the windows using a razor blade.

I'm assuming for the paint I can probably start by using the least abrasive polishing compound to gently remove the overspray. I'm not sure about how to tackle the chrome and plastic though. Tomorrow I may try a credit card to see if this will do the trick as I don't think that should harm the surfaces too badly.

Any tips/ideas on how to solve my problem?

I use a 3M swirl mark remover. Got it from an auto body supply shop.

Someone sprayed my cousin's (red) car door with black paint. He thought he'd have to get it repainted. Took it right off.

It also works great for taking off paint from minor parking lot scrapes.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
I use a 3M swirl mark remover. Got it from an auto body supply shop.

Someone sprayed my cousin's (red) car door with black paint. He thought he'd have to get it repainted. Took it right off.

It also works great for taking off paint from minor parking lot scrapes.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot. Safe on plastic and chrome too?

You might end up with scratches on the chrome. If it is latex paint I know Goo Gone can take latex paint off. Just make sure to not let it get on the car's paint. Just use it on the chrome.

I've used detailer's clay to remove paint overspray before, it works quite well in my experience.

If no clay is available, I have also used Meg's Ultimate Compound and a DA polisher with good results.

Clay should be your first stop, not compound.

You'll probably need a medium to aggressive clay, followed by at least an all-in-one product to remove the marring that you create.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Clay should be your first stop, not compound.

You'll probably need a medium to aggressive clay, followed by at least an all-in-one product to remove the marring that you create.

+1
I have used clay to remove overspray and it worked well with lots of lube such as soapy water or whatever your favorite detail spray is.

If this doesn't work, only then move to a finer compound. Only use as much elbow grease as necessary.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Clay bar or NanoScrub. Don't go too crazy with an overly-aggressive product. Start with something mild.

Nanoskin is pretty lousy at removing overspray...IMO.

Try a solvent first, like lacquer thinner. If that doesn't work, then go to a clay bar, or polish with a machine. Usually the overspray doesn't stick very well because of the wax on the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back