Removing overspray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

I recently had new fenders installed and painted on my truck and the painter managed to get a bit of overspray on my front plastic chrome rims and one chrome mirror.
I noticed a small spot on the mirror and some roughness when washing my rims but nothing major.

Just wondering what is the best technique/product to use to remove it? My rims were waxed last fall with Collinite 845 but my mirror likely doesn't have any wax remaining?
The fenders were sprayed May 16th and due to the weather and looking after my son's and wife's cars, amongst other things, I just noticed this, for the most part, last night while finally finding the time to wax my truck.

I have thought about rubbing compound and/or claying but should I use some varsol/thinner or other first or just those products? I can't see the overspray on my rims, I can only slightly feel it while washing (roughness) so the overspray is very light, imo.

Thanks in advance.
cheers3.gif

IMG_0470 (Large).JPG

My aunt's Avalon's roof had clear coat overspray on the roof, the body shop tried buffing it off but it didn't work.

They ended up using a clay bar which took it off.

Originally Posted by John_K
My method would be to take it back to who ever oversprayed it.

It's very minor, imo, and not worth the trouble.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
My aunt's Avalon's roof had clear coat overspray on the roof, the body shop tried buffing it off but it didn't work.

They ended up using a clay bar which took it off.

I am leaning that way too but I may just try some varsol first to see if it removes any of it?

Like I mentioned, you can only slightly feel it by running your hand over it. There is not much there at all and it is practically invisible to the eye.

My guess is they would fix it in the most expedient and cheap manner because they were too negligent to mask off any surrounding areas in the first place. We've become a society that values a quick job over a proper one.

OP - A claybar may do the trick if the overspray is still "fresh" and hasn't hardened. You can buy varying 'strengths' of claybars, so best to work up from least aggressive.

If that doesn't work, you CAN use lacquer thinner, naphtha, or acetone with a very cautious hand to remove paint overspray. Obviously don't do this on any paint that is <30 days old, but on established automotive surfaces, these chemicals won't cause major harm. Afterwards, clean with soap and water, then coat with wax.

Originally Posted by Reddy45

My guess is they would fix it in the most expedient and cheap manner because they were too negligent to mask off any surrounding areas in the first place. We've become a society that values a quick job over a proper one.

OP - A claybar may do the trick if the overspray is still "fresh" and hasn't hardened. You can buy varying 'strengths' of claybars, so best to work up from least aggressive.

If that doesn't work, you CAN use lacquer thinner, naphtha, or acetone with a very cautious hand to remove paint overspray. Obviously don't do this on any paint that is div>

I don't own a bodyshop nor have I ever spray painted a car but I can't help but think, since the overspray is so minimal, it is pretty hard to stop it all?
21.gif

I currently own a clay bar so I will try that method first and if it is too much trouble/work I will resort to a thinner. I believe, or am at least hoping, since my wheels were waxed, the overspray will come off of those quite easily?

I am heading to my trailer tomorrow for a few days so time and weather permitting, I'll give it a go with some clay or a mild rubbing compound.

I appreciate the info.
cheers3.gif

I think the clay bar is the best route considering this is chrome painted plastic. If the overspray cannot be removed with the clay bar try a plastic razor blade. Use plenty of lubricant for each.

If there was a good coat of wax or sealant on the vehicle a clay bar should work fine. I'd try that first.

I just had this same problem on 2016 Yukon that had to have right rear door painted. Charged my insurance ridiculous price. Done a decent job but got over spray on entire right side and half of the hood. I should have taken it back but ended up using a clay bar myself and it came off with some elbow grease. Its slick now. Over spray had been on it 1 year. So clay works for over spray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back