Best way to keep a battery charged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so lets say I have a friend
wink.gif
who has a car in the garage and doesn't get it out on the road as often as he should. What's the best way to keep a battery from draining over time?

Its been suggested that a trickle charger might be a good idea, and it has also been suggested to me that the battery could be disconnected so its not powering a clock, the alarm system, etc slowly draining.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Thanks for the tips! I love this place! I'll pass the info onto my friend!
whistle.gif

I have battery minders and tenders for my cars and 12V batteries in storage. Ive never had an issue with the tenders burning out... But it is not recommended to use it to charge a battery...

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
This is by far the best (my opinion) battery maintainer on the market. The Deltran ones (Battery Tenders) tend (no pun intended) to burn out after 12 months or so.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-batteryminder-plus-12v-1_3a-battery-charger.html

I have three of them. Two for the motorcycles and one for seldom driven car.

The battery will self discharge over time even if cables are disconnected. As it self discharges it sulfates which is not all that good.

A real trickle charger will charge at about 2 amps and never stop. Avoid them like the plague.

I also have the one mentioned by paulo and I agree its an excellent maintainer. You can leave it on forever and it will keep the battery 100%, not more not less. It also has a desulfation circuit that in theory causes sulfur crystals on the plates to go back into solution. Most golf cart battery chargers have the desulfation circuit so it must do some good.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: paulo57509
This is by far the best (my opinion) battery maintainer on the market. The Deltran ones (Battery Tenders) tend (no pun intended) to burn out after 12 months or so.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-batteryminder-plus-12v-1_3a-battery-charger.html

I have three of them. Two for the motorcycles and one for seldom driven car.

The battery will self discharge over time even if cables are disconnected. As it self discharges it sulfates which is not all that good.

A real trickle charger will charge at about 2 amps and never stop. Avoid them like the plague.

I also have the one mentioned by paulo and I agree its an excellent maintainer. You can leave it on forever and it will keep the battery 100%, not more not less. It also has a desulfation circuit that in theory causes sulfur crystals on the plates to go back into solution. Most golf cart battery chargers have the desulfation circuit so it must do some good.

+}1

arrr, most quality battery maintainer, wallys 15$ will turn off. they ay on the bbox u can leave it connected.
I used lave em my rx7s and mothers volvo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back