Best used compact car

Status
Not open for further replies.
06 up Cobalt.I know a couple of these with automatics doing 100 mile a day commuter trips through Atlanta traffic.150k plus on each one.Nothing but maintance by the book,oil changes by the OLM. Battery's,tires,one door handle no brake work etc.on either one of the cars I'm familiar with.Great car for the money.

What's the price range?

My number one choice would be a 2006+ Honda Civic Si, followed by an Acura RSX Type-S, followed by a 2002+ Honda Civic Si. Barring any of those, I'd get an older Saab of some kind. Below a certain price, it's hard to expect anything to stay together; might as well get something fun.

Manual transmission is an absolute must, of course.

Originally Posted By: gomes512
I agree with the corolla part. I picked up the clone geo prizm for 1K with 130K. Sell for cheaper than the corollas but same reliability. Many of the 7th gen 1.8L's and older had oil ring problems (high consumption). The 1.6's didn't seem to have this problem.

Pontiac Vibe is the same as a Matrix, which has the same powertrain as the Corolla. Usually can be found used a bit cheaper than the Toyota versions.

I have one and I still like it...

Mazda Protege' with a manual transmission or Geo Prizm for sedan.

Every bit as reliable as a Civic or Corolla and less expensive.

Protege'5 is a wagon variant. Something not seen in a Corolla or Civic in awhile. Mazdaspeed Protege' is turbocharged. Something never seen in a Civic or Corolla.

The automatic Protege' has a Ford F4EAT and has reliability issues.

Originally Posted By: grampi
There are many to choose from, but if I were looking to buy something used that was built within the last 10 years, I would have to go with a Corolla. The Civic would be a close second choice, but I believe the Corolla is slightly more reliable, and they can be had for less money, making them a better value. What's your choice and why?

I would have to agree with you in regard to the Corolla. They are extremely reliable vehicles. I bought my 1999 Corolla in 2005 with 58k and now have 123k on her. The Corolla is a vehicle I would not hesitate to buy again. When I was in the market for a used compact, I considered a used Civic, however, I noticed they tended to cost about $1000-1500 more than a comparably equipped Corolla.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
06 up Cobalt.I know a couple of these with automatics doing 100 mile a day commuter trips through Atlanta traffic.150k plus on each one.Nothing but maintance by the book,oil changes by the OLM. Battery's,tires,one door handle no brake work etc.on either one of the cars I'm familiar with.Great car for the money.

Have you ever been in one?
Coming from a guy who has 2 GMs (me) I thought the build quality of those was downright frightening. I test drove a used one with a buddy and we came away laughing hysterically it was so bad.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
My number one choice would be a 2006+ Honda Civic Si, followed by an Acura RSX Type-S, followed by a 2002+ Honda Civic Si.

Both these cars have well known problems with their 6 speed trans.
I would stick to the base RSX over the base 2006+ Civic.

This past week I purchased a 2003 Corolla S with 147K miles. One owner with the majority of the miles being highway (PA to Florida). Fluids and the condition under the hood looks like the car has only 50K miles on it. $4K. It's the first used car I bought in 20 years (when I was 17)!

Last edited:
+1 on the Cobalt. I put 95,000 miles on mine. I have a basic 2007 model, manual windows, manual transmission, manual locks. Runs like a top, no oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

Coming from a guy who has 2 GMs (me) I thought the build quality of those was downright frightening. I test drove a used one with a buddy and we came away laughing hysterically it was so bad.
I have to agree on the Cobalt. My wife just had one as a rental. I was stunned at how harsh and gutless the engine was. I was under the impression that the world had stopped making dangerously slow cars but that Cobalt definitely fit the description. I think even my '89 Iron Duke was a nicer driving engine than that. The interior was okay-ish, nothing worth coveting that's for sure. Maybe if you get it optioned up things get better but I have my doubts.

I tried to like the Cobalt.

The interior is often draws negatives but it was a major improvement over the Cavalier.

But I still don't like it.

In a comparison between Focus and Cobalt rentals? I'll take the Focus everytime. The Focus has a smaller engine but feels faster and responds better to throttle input. (it may not actually be faster, but it feels it) The steering is better, more responsive and better weighted. The only thing I didn't really like about the Focus was the brakes. They worked well but transmitted a lot of road imperfections through the pedal.

I would have also recommended the Suzuki Swift but there are problems. MPG is outstanding. The powertrain is very durable. As good as any other car if not better, but interior bits like the door handles, window cranks, seat latch levers, etc... all break very easily.

I've been in both Colbalts many times.Both are the LT model I believe.(fully loaded)All the goodies a much bigger more expensive car has.Heated seats,cd exchanger,steering wheel controls for radio,heated mirrors and so on.2.2 auto with nice power.Super fuel mileage. Not sure what models you all have been in but these are full dressers.Edmond's gave them super reviews.Said designed to be a commuter auto and did its job extremely well.The two I'm familer with have been easy to maintain and basily trouble free in 150k plus Atlanta traffic miles.One 06 and the other is a 07.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
My number one choice would be a 2006+ Honda Civic Si, followed by an Acura RSX Type-S, followed by a 2002+ Honda Civic Si.

Both these cars have well known problems with their 6 speed trans.
I would stick to the base RSX over the base 2006+ Civic.

Synchro issues fixed by TSB, no?

2003+ Elantra
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
2003+ Elantra
smile.gif

Agreed. Very reliable cars.

Anything Honda that's used is astronomical. When we got the Fit, we had the choice of getting a used 2008 Fit base (last generation GD, ours is a current-generation GE) for $2000 less. Getting the new uplevel one was a no-brainer.

CHevy prism/ Rolla

Saturn S series.

My Cobalt has been flawless at well over 50k. No issues at all. I'm not sure about the gutless tthing, as mine can get out of it's own way with no problem.

My Cavaliers have been problem free as well. Only a fuel pump in nearly 70k... I heart the ecotecs....

I had a 96 corolla with a 5 speed that i bought with 220k. I drove it for a year and sold it to a friend down the street. His daughter ran it out of oil at 310k. still had the original clutch. regularly got 38-39 mpg. also had a 88 accord that had 252k when i sold. tranny slipped until car warmed up fully... wouldn't die.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: calvin1
Originally Posted By: SLCraig

I have to agree on the Cobalt. My wife just had one as a rental. I was stunned at how harsh and gutless the engine was. I was under the impression that the world had stopped making dangerously slow cars but that Cobalt definitely fit the description. I think even my '89 Iron Duke was a nicer driving engine than that. The interior was okay-ish, nothing worth coveting that's for sure. Maybe if you get it optioned up things get better but I have my doubts.

I have to agree with the above statements; we rented a Cobalt and it was a joke of a car. Only achieved 26 mpg on the highway and the interior was very cheaply made. I can't understand why there are so many on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back