Best trailer wheel bearing grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a tube of marine grease for the impeller shaft on the jet ski. That's what I've been using on my jetski trailer bearings.

Anything that is calcium-based should be good. Calcium-based greases are popularly recommended where water resistance is needed.

Originally Posted By: gonzo
I've been using the Walmart wheel bearing grease.Anyone have better advice? Boat used in fresh water only.
Are there bearing buddies on the axle/s?

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/why.html

HOW BEARING BUDDY® WORKS

The axle hub is filled with grease until the grease forces the Bearing Buddy® piston outward about 1/8 inch. Because the piston is spring loaded, the piston exerts a slight (3 psi) pressure against the grease, which maintains a slight pressure between the inside of the hub and the outside environment. When the hub is submerged, water cannot enter the hub because of this pressure.

An automatic pressure relief feature prevents over-filling and over pressurization. Without this feature, the inner seal will be damaged. Grease can be added to the hub through an easily accessible grease fitting located in the center of the piston. Lubricant level (and pressure) can be checked quickly by pressing on the edge of the moveable piston.

If you can rock or move the piston, the hub is properly filled. Bearing Buddy® will last the life of your trailer. The outer barrel is made of steel and is triple chrome plated. Internal Bearing Buddy® parts are made of stainless steel. Bearing Buddy® is also available with a stainless steel barrel for maximum corrosion protection.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If you go into salt water you will need aluminum based grease. Calcium won't handle salt but it is fine in fresh water!

I have A 5x8 trailer I have a Harley and an ATV I tow on it. My trips are sometimes 300-400 miles at about 75 MPH. Every year I change the seals and re grease I use red grease I have used Pennzoil and SuperTech blue jug grease its red also. Looks identical to the Pennzoil s far never a problem.

I use M1 grease in my 5-8 trailer. I drove 250 miles to get a new welder and the hubs remained cool, even at 70 MPH.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back