Best Tire Review ever!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
778 commas! His spelling and grammar are pretty good, even scientific, if you get rid of the punctuation problems. Edit:

4 of 14 people found the following review helpful:

Initial Review 75 Miles on Tires
January 27 2008

Since yesterday I now have 75 miles on new tires. I rated comfort and noise because my driving has been too easy going to determine handling characteristics. I'm trying to break them in properly. Right now I have 32 PSI all around but will raise them to 40 PSI once I have 500 miles. I do not experience AM flatspotting or tramlining. I'm a truck driver so I know about tramlining. The tires are one size larger than the original Toyos. The door placard calls for 34 PSI. I'm guessing that's for 35 PSI tires because the Toyos handled and rode better at 44 PSI and wore evenly without ever going out of balance. The Mazda5 has exceptionally good handling for a vehicle that combines hatchback wagon and van in the same vehicle so expensive "Max Performance Summer" tires aren't really necessary. I expect the heavier tires to have less wheelspin when wet and since my best past experiences have been with Bridgestone I knew I wanted something Bridgestone before the Serenity was introduced. I've read all of the tire reviews and the Serenity literally has the highest review score of all tires on this site. You can't really expect Mazda or Honda vehicles to truly be quiet on the inside but the Serenitys really help. It may be South Florida here but it hasn't rained since getting the tires and I haven't been on any long sustained highway trips yet but my expectations are very high. Locally these are the least expensive good tires available in this area. So far I recommend these tires to anyone who has a car with 16" rims or greater since tires today are more exoensive than ever. When I first got my Mazda5 I really didn't expect to find 50 series 17" tires less than $800 but I did.
Follow-up Review 102 Miles on Tires
January 29 2008

Here's the system I use to determine how much air I should have in my tires. On a Mazda5 for the original 205/50R17 89V SL tires the door placard says 230 KPA/34 PSI. It seems to me that is meant for tires with a maximum of 240 KPA/35 PSI. The original Toyo Proxes A18 had a maximum of 300 KPA/44 PSI so the adjustment should be 230 X 300 / 240 = 287.5 KPA / 6.894757 = 42 PSI. I ran 44. Since I now have 215/50R17 95V XL it works like this. 230 (34 PSI) KPA X 580 kg (1279 lbs) X 340 KPA (50 PSI) / 690 kg (1521 lbs) / 240 KPA (35 PSI) = 273.89 KPA / 6.894757 = 40 PSI so yesterday while at work I raised my tires to 40 from the original 32 the shop had it set. It obviously rides handles and wears better. My 2003 Ford Taurus has the tire placard in the gas flap. It calls for 205 KPA/30 PSI. With tires that hold 300 KPA or 44 PSI 30 PSI didn't feel right either. Using the same formula I run 256.25 KPA or 38 PSI and have much better results. I used the same formula on a 1995 Isuzu Rodeo when I changed the stock 225/75R15 tires for 235/70R15 with a 44 PSI rating so instead of running my Rodeo at 26 PSI I ran the new tires for that one at 33. Mazda5 owners should stay tuned as I keep my reviews up to date. So far I have no regrets buying Bridgestone Serenity tires for my Mazda5 and like I said 32 PSI just didn't feel right so I didn't wait to bring it up to 40 but I will wait to test the spirited nature until broken in. It's funny how it rained one day before buying the tires and now no more rain is expected for at least another week.

Follow-up Review 152 Miles on Tires
February 01 2008

Although not completely tested yet so far I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Serenity for anyone who has a Mazda5. They look better on the rims than the Toyos ever did. Since buying the tires I've only been to work and back no rain yet either. The yard at work is dirt so I was so far able to test ride and noise so be sure to keep 40 PSI in the tires. Whether you use 205/50R17 or 215/50R17 follow this graph of load indexes and PSIs carefully. With a load index of 89 at 44 max 42 PSI. 89 at 51 max 49 PSI. 91 at 44 max 40PSI. 91 at 51 max 46 PSI. 93 at 50 max 43 PSI and of course with Serenity's load index of 95 at 50 max 40 PSI. Tires with a load index of 88 can also be used at 44 50 or 51 PSI respectively. Lower than 88 is not recommended. For 16" winters use the formula in one of my earlier reports to determine how much air you should use. If I needed winter wheels I would go for 205/60R16 on steel wheels but I don't really need them in Florida.
I've said before in an earlier review the Serenitys are not 100% noiseless but a tremendous improvement over the Toyos that came with the car. You can hear the tires "sing" no matter what you use on Mazdas Hondas and smaller Fords especially hatchbacks wagons minivans or SUVs. The noise is improved but not eliminated. I still haven't had an opportunity to try them in rain or to "joyride" yet. The increase to 40 PSI from 32 made an improvement by itself. Once I have 500 miles on the tires I will find out what they can really do and hopefully get some rain results. I bought the tires at the beginning of a cold frontand probably won't see rain for another two weeks. It's like when I put Rain-X on my windows it doesn't rain.

Follow-up Review 310 Miles on Tires
February 08 2008

It's been two weeks and 310 miles. It is raining for the first time in two weeks so I now have a wet handling score. They don't feel any different wet than they do dry. The handling is predictible but won't throw people from one side of the car to the other which is fine for me because a Mazda5 is a people and cargo carrier. It's still more fun to drive than a Honda Odyssey. I can still spin the front wheels but it takes a lot more effort than it did with the Toyos which means less inadvertent wheelspin stick shift Mazda5s are known for. I planned carefully before buying the Serenitys. I've always been impressed with Bridgestone and the 95 load index adds 970 pounds of load capacity to the tires reducing the likeliness of impact damage to tires and rims. I still don't suggest overloading vehicle beyond manufacturer's load capacity limits but I feel safer with the Bridgestone Serenitys on my car. Handling is predictible and secure but less sporty than a maximum performance summer tire with greater limitations and no warranty. Did I say "warranty?" That's something else that attracted me to the Serenitys. Not too many 50 series tires on 17" rims that offer one so seriously consider buying these. Especially if YR rated extreme performance summer tires is not important to you My car is a daily driver. It usually rains in Florida one third of the time at least. Road noise and wet traction was my biggest concerns and even with 40 PSI ride comfort has improved.

Follow-up Review 370 Miles on Tires
February 10 2008

The only thing I can possibly think of these tires wouldn't be good for is track. Steering response is soft but predictible. They have less of a sporty feel than the Toyos although predictibility is better especially when wet. Although I haven't been more than 20 miles from home since buying the tires I can tell highway driving is where these tires will excel most. The price was better than I expected. They have a warranty a rarity for VR rated 50 series and/or 17" rims (standard on the Mazda5). I've been all over the east coast with my Mazda5 and I can't wait for an opportunity to do a road trip on the Serenitys. Because of the larger size I've noticed 20.4 MPG from 21.0 MPG local driving not a bad difference. I don't mind the fuel economy difference if the tires make driving safer and more predictible. I won't know about snow or ice because I live in Florida. It definitely rains a lot in Florida especially May thru September so I'm now ready for that challenge. My original Toyo tires weren't good when wet and were very noisy on the highway. Only 370 miles so far and overall the Serenitys make a big difference. Not 100% noiseless but much better than it was before.

Follow-up Review 373 Miles on Tires
February 11 2008

I gave all of my available scores tens because directional transitions are smooth not jerky. Another improvement I've noticed is braking performance. It used to be the ABS would kick in easily on wet pavement. Now there's a big difference in wet braking. The brakes actually transfer more weight to the front end. The rear wheels will chirp then the rear ABS activates. Stopping distances are shorter especially when wet no pull or drift off the road either. Today it was dry and clear. I accelerated to beat a yellow arrow took a left turn at 40 MPH without any problems or noise. My work has a wide unpaved lot for big trucks. I made a U turn at high speed without sliding out of control. The steering response may not be jerky but the tires do everything well. With the exception of 3/4 ton trucks or high powered sports cars these tires are a must for virtually everything else in between.

Follow-up Review 540 Miles on Tires
February 17 2008

Bumping it up to a 215/50R17 from a 205/50R17 didn't cause any clearance problems. On I-595 and I-95 these tires love to keep the car in the lane it's traveling in. These tires have the least wander of any tire I had on any vehicle. They are recommended for anybody who does a lot of highway driving. The excessive wheelspin I used to get when wet isn't a problem anymore. I can accelerate better when wet. Mazda5s aren't very front heavy especially with stick shift but these tires added the traction I needed when it rains in south Florida. I can still spin them if I want to but it requires a more rapid drop of the clutch. It used to be a push of the gas to lose grip. I did expect the tires to be quieter but it is better than it was. Right now I'll say I would definately buy these tires again especially for other vehicles but who knows what will be available in three years from now?

Follow-up Review 700 Miles on Tires
February 25 2008

700 miles is too soon to determine treadwear. The tires look like they haven't been used yet. In preparation for a trip to Seven Devils North Carolina I raised the tires to 46 PSI because my car will be loaded and traveling 75 MPH most of the time. Most of my driving will be interstate but my route includes Holloway Mountain Road a dirt road between Blowing Rock North Carolina and Foscoe North Carolina and maybe "Tail of the Dragon (US 129 between Knoxville Tennessee and Athens Georgia)" on the way back if weather permits. This will give me an evaluation of the highest rated tires I can't get in Florida. As anxious as I am to try these out in the mountains I can't think of a good reason not to put the Bridgestone Serenitys on my other vehicles or to recommend them to anybody who has a vehicle Serenity sizes are available for. It hit the top of Tirerack's reviews and survey charts and made my Mazda5 a much more pleasant driving experience. There will be more reviews after I return from North Carolina. I think these are the tires that should've been on Mazda3s Mazda5s and Mazda6s in the first place.

Follow-up Review 3157 Miles on Tires
March 10 2008

Other findings include the odometer losing a mile every 63.8 approximately although the speedometer still seems to be accurate. In Florida interstates have test strips 1/4 mile apart. With the cruise control set at exactly 70 I clocked 70.2 not bad. Highway fuel economy went from 27.0 to 26.1 while local went from 21.0 to 20.4 because of the larger heavier tires. Because of all of the improvements since putting on the Serenity tires it's worth it. Even though the steering is smoother and softer it didn't take any fun away from driving my Mazda. Steering correction on the highway has been reduced the most with this change compared to any change I've made in the past. I definately recommend Bridgestone Serenity for highway driving. I still can't comment about winter driving since I do so little of it. I would buy these again and again unless something does better in later years.

I don't think females check tire pressures....
LOL.gif

much less log them.
crackmeup2.gif
54.gif
27.gif

I wonder if the guy has voice-to-computer software that inserts a comma, whenever he runs, out of breath, like that "stevie" kid, on malcolm in the, middle.

That would also explain the lack of effort it took to spill out that essay.

Originally Posted By: GMGuy
This review brought to you by James T. Kirk. =-)

That's what I thought too. If it weren't so long and detailed I'd think it was a joke. Maybe the speech-to-text explanation is, the, right, one.

Good night... that tire salesman most likely earned his paycheck the day he sold those tires. What a cruel joke if someone, during the middle of his evaluation, deflated then re-inflated his tires with fix-a-flat.

Yes, it definately puts our activities in perspective. I wonder if, collectively, we could maybe set this guy up on a date.

Why the milage gap between the 700 mile review and the 3157 mile review? I was set on getting a set of these tires but without sufficent data between this milage now I'm not sure.

Originally Posted By: crosseyedwx
What he needs is a woman...

Yeah, but what women need is definitely not him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back