Best tire for the money

I am looking at Douglas or Achalles. Only a couple dollars difference. I don't drive excessively fast or race, or very hard on tires. Also I don't drive in rain or snow. Also the present tires were on the car when I bought it 2 years ago and I only put 2k miles on it, but the tires are 12/13 years old, so I am thinking I need some newer ones before going on a trip about 500 miles one way on the interstate.

I did a ton of online research and bought Milestar Weatherguard AS710 sport tires.
Seemed to be the best balance of cost versus quality to me.
They were for the wifes 2018 Elantra GT grocery getter with only 17500 miles on it,so a mileage warranty was of no concern.
Plus they are made in the U.S. which is a big deal for me.

I think the Goodyear Reiant is a better tire for almost the same money. Walmart special. We have a set on my wifes Tuscon they are excellent.

I am looking at Douglas or Achalles. Only a couple dollars difference. I don't drive excessively fast or race, or very hard on tires. Also I don't drive in rain or snow. Also the present tires were on the car when I bought it 2 years ago and I only put 2k miles on it, but the tires are 12/13 years old, so I am thinking I need some newer ones before going on a trip about 500 miles one way on the interstate.
You're about 6 yrs overdue on tire for age :eek:

I'd not trust my life on tires that old, ANY tire right now would be better than what you're driving on.

Whoa I missed the 12/13 year old present tires.
Please make a choice and get it done,whatever your final choice is you are way better off than now.

Reactions: CKN
I use Tirerack to narrow down the choices for a first cut, then shop hard. Find their website and comparative analysis useful, and their pricing is good if you watch for sales/deals. My circumstances may be a bit different or more complicated, as I look to serve multiple needs as in track tires, summer/winter/snow tires, and occasionally all-season compromises.

I buy Goodyear tires and have never had a bad tire from them so I’d go with the Douglas.

IMO best tire for the money is the best performing tire for the intended purpose. It is THE MOST important safety feature on the car.

Also, tires 12-13yrs old are an absolute hazard. You are basically playing with your life every time you move your vehicle.
If you don't drive in snow, or rain, and live in a warm state, IMO, a summer tire is the way to go. Regardless of how many miles you put on, if you can swing better tires (and yes ANY new tire will be better than what you have now) I would do that.

I buy Goodyear tires and have never had a bad tire from them so I’d go with the Douglas.
Well...I had Goodyear LS-20 tires OEM on my Siilverado and they were one of the worst tires I have ever seen. But yea-generally they makes good tires.

I often see Goodyear tires get slammed on this forum.
I have never had a set.
But how does one of the oldest and largest tire companies get a bad rap so often?

Back in the 80s and 90s Goodrear had a problem maintaining quality in their tires. How do I know? I was doing HPDE regularly, autocross, track events, and was always at the tire dealers getting directional tires swapped on the rims to even out the wear and make them last as long as possible and there was never a time I didn't encounter someone with goodyears that were out of round, or developed a concentricity problem or perhaps just couldn't maintain balance for more than a very few thousand miles. I knew the guy that ran the tire store and he said so himself that most of the goodyear product line was inconsistent quality wise. Their high performance tires of the time, The Eagle GT and Gatorbacks were true state of the art and performed well but there were even lemons among those. I was buying my tires thru their contingency program and getting shaved half tread tires for competition use at 75/tire when the going rate was roughly twice that for full tread. It was a great deal for us motorheads and presumably for Goodyear too. They got a lot of good press from their racing efforts and that sold a lot of tires. Sadly they did not always live up to the promise.

Kumho LX platinum walmart.com best budget tires out there. Cheaper than some no name Chinese tires but so much better

Attachments

• IMG_20220201_164329011.jpg
    IMG_20220201_164329011.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220201_164300776.jpg
    IMG_20220201_164300776.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20220201_164444832.jpg
    IMG_20220201_164444832.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 21
Back