Best Sythetic for 7.3 PSD Downunder T444E Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops, I let out a small detail. The 7.3 and 6.0 are both HEUI engines, but different manufactures for the fuel system.

Thatwouldbegreat, I agree that in most cases diesel do not run "hot" even in hot ambient weather. The 7.3 has a fairly good sized oil cooler and decent sump capacity, it really takes some severe conditions to get one hot. Sump temps are usually around 175*F under light to moderate load and increase to maybe 225*F until the heavier load is removed, then they'll cool off again. Sump temps should be close to coolant temps, if there is a significant delta the oil cooler maybe plugged or a cooling system problem.

The truck being a 2004 will have the gold Ford coolant which is supposed to be maintenance free. There is, of course, a lot of debate about how long to run this coolant and the proper servicing techniques. I drained all the Ford gold coolant and refilled with a HD longlife coolant with the correct SCA. I use whatever is on sale at work when I order a drum. Last time was CAT, but I've used Int'l and others. I recommend testing and adding the correct SCA for the coolant type on any diesel. The gold coolant in that 7.3 (they switched in 2002 IIRC) is the same stuff used in gassers, it was cheaper for Ford to use one coolant in everything.

As Shannow said, a far as synthetic diesel oils are concerned, Delvac 1 is the leader of $ vs performance.
Delavc 1 is the cheapest synthetic engine oil available here, even compared to petrol engine oils. The last 20 litre drum I bought was an even Au$200.
Shell Rimula Ultra XT (Rotella synthetic in the US) is over double the retail price of Delvac 1, and as the boys above have discovered, Redline, Amsoil and RP are also stupidly priced compared to Delvac 1.
As for Penrite, I really don't believe their thicker is better claims. I've never ever seen anything to back them up. Diesels are generally designed for Xw-40's, why would you want to use anything thicker ?

Well - theres been some great info in this thread - so rather than let it die - I figure I'll update it!

Yes the Mobil Delvac 1 seems to be the best priced fully synthetic oil on the market downunder - I just bought 2 x 20 litre (6 US gallon pails) for $Aus 220 each! (Aus $11/litre)

I'm about to do the next oil change to upgrade from my 15-W-40 dino Pennzoil to the new Mobil Delvac 1 and send some samples away for testing!

That should keep me outta trouble for at least 6000 miles I'm guessing running the oilgaurd full flow and Micron bypass cotton filters!

However, a local dowunder member from here (Sumpy) who doesn't live too far away from me has been kind enough to put me onto some new info re synthetic oils downunder.

Quote:

they say this SPC stuff is identical to Delvac 1, apparentally exonmobil use SPC's syn base stock to make delvac 1 in the Asia area. The SPC website say K-SYN is a 5w-40 however the stuff they get in is 5w-50. Was told freighliners use it in their fleet & UOA showed it was on par with Delvac 1 & better than other syn oils they have used.

Now this Singapore Petroleum Co K-Syn is only half the cost of the Delvac one at about Aus$5/ litre!

Does anyone know - how true this onfo about Delvac being made downunder from SPC Base stock is true?...and how the two oils stack up alongside each other for use in a 7.3 (PSD) with the HEUI injectors that are subject to high oil shear rates?

Just curious if the Mobil Delvac 1 is worth 2 x the price of the SPC K syn 5-W-50?

I am still monkeying around with trying to source a cheap centrifuge filter to plumb into the 7.3 PSD Oil Bypass line for even beter oil scrubbing!

So far I haven't been able to locate one at a reasonable price! The Mann & Hummels at $600 - $1300 are a tad steep for my blood! There must be an affordable centrifuge filter out there somewhere!

Cheers!

Quote:

Technically 20 L = 5.28 gal, but good on ya.

:rollseyes: technically Pablo - your wrong & right at the same time...I was however generalising about the volume to try and assist the US members to follow along with the main gist of the thread.

You see - a few of the responders as well as myself are all Aussies - and we use to use english imperial gallons before we went metric, so for us 20 litres = "technically' is (20/4.54 = 4.405 imperial gallons), while for you and your US compatriots - (seeing this is a USA hosted web forum after all) those same 20 litres in US gallons is (20 /3.78 = 5.29 US gallons) - not the 6 gals, I posted!

How that impacts the quality of Delvac 1 verses SPC K-syn I have no idea - but it seems to be important to you - so what the hey!

Cheers!

Hmm, I was under the impression that D1 was fully imported from the US, not blended locally.
Check with Mobil to be sure, or maybe get a sample of the SPC stuff and send off to ALS for a VOA.

Mmm, mention of SPC has me thinking of beans...
laugh.gif

(in Aussie joke
wink.gif
)

Any of your HDEO in 5W40 or 15W40 will do nicely. I like Delvac-1 5W40 as my first choice and Rotella-T Synthetic 5W40 as my second choice. If you can get hold of Chevron Delo 15W40 in 55 gallon drum that would be my first choice in conventional oils. Delvac-1 5W40 is shear stable and as far as I am aware none of your Diesel rated 5W40's contain any polymetric thickners it is all done by blending various base stocks to get the desired viscosity performance.

rick,
I was comparing the PDS on the back of baked bean cans a while back, and found that the white can with the blue label was identical to SPC in all respects. Bought a few tins at 43c each...great while they held the contract.

My 19l (empty for quite a few years) ex drum of D1 indicates (doesn't state) that it's made in U.S.

FIL uses it in his Accord V-6 will endeavour to suss out a recent 5l container.

good point. I'm pretty sure it indicated US manufacture the last time I looked at a drum too. Still have the last 20l one I bought about 4-5 months ago so will have a look, and am about to order another.

I just looked at the drums, (2 of) Delvac 1 synthetic.

Both say Mobil Australia & NZ on the lable including the websites ending in .au or .nz - no mention of USA manufacture (except for the fact the flying horse symbol and Mobil trademaks are owned by Exon Mobil oil co).

I am assuming this stuff could well be blended locally in the South East Asian area - perhaps it is even from SPC K - Syn stocks?

I have no proof other than what sumpy suggests in his PM's to me.

I have just done 3 oil changes using the 40 litres of Delvac 1 and will now run them for extended oil change intervals, and use UOA's to determine when to change again.

Cheers & thanks

I have a local Cat dealer here in West Oz
http://www.westrac.com.au/Pages/Index.aspx
I couldn't find that oil by searching their website tho.
I've just started using them for my UOA samples - so will ask them about their CAT SYN DEO oil when next on the phone with them!
As an aside - becuase of the comments about Oilguards UOA results (with zero's in all the detergent addpack area, and zero soot, for Pennzoil Diesel longlife 15-W-40) I decided to "double test" one oil sample with both Westrac here in Oz & Oilgaurd in the USA ....to compare results.

It might well be interesting to see what each report about the exact same oil, taken midstream one straight after the other!

I've started up Excell speadsheets for all 3 of my Turbo diesel vehicles - and will plug in all the results from all the testers onto the one spreadsheet top see what if any glaring differences I find.
The next 2 weeks could hopefully prove interesting!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back