Best synthetic for Nissan 350Z 3.5 liter

Car has 6K miles on it and will change to synthetic at 7K miles. Will use a 5K mile OCI. Planned on using Mobil 1 5w30. Is this the best oil for this engine. Would another oil or weight of Mobil 1 be better for a 5K mile OCI. I live in SW Missouri, summer 90's winters down to 0 degrees. Car is not driven that hard and most trips are over 15 miles each way.
 
Messages
2,569
Location
College Dorm...
quote:
Originally posted by Pitbull: Car has 6K miles on it and will change to synthetic at 7K miles. Will use a 5K mile OCI. Planned on using Mobil 1 5w30. Is this the best oil for this engine. Would another oil or weight of Mobil 1 be better for a 5K mile OCI. I live in SW Missouri, summer 90's winters down to 0 degrees. Car is not driven that hard and most trips are over 15 miles each way.
If you haven't figured it out yet Pitbull, you will very quickly...there is no such thing as picking a best oil until you do some analysis (unless some others have already done analysis and a trend has developed with a certain oil in the 350Z engine.) What's Nissan's viscosity recommendation(s)?
 

Pitbull

Thread starter
Messages
417
Location
Ponte Vedra Beach Florida
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
quote:
Originally posted by Pitbull: Car has 6K miles on it and will change to synthetic at 7K miles. Will use a 5K mile OCI. Planned on using Mobil 1 5w30. Is this the best oil for this engine. Would another oil or weight of Mobil 1 be better for a 5K mile OCI. I live in SW Missouri, summer 90's winters down to 0 degrees. Car is not driven that hard and most trips are over 15 miles each way.
If you haven't figured it out yet Pitbull, you will very quickly...there is no such thing as picking a best oil until you do some analysis (unless some others have already done analysis and a trend has developed with a certain oil in the 350Z engine.) What's Nissan's viscosity recommendation(s)?

Nissan recommends 5w30 for year round use. I did search the UOA section, not that many examples. Though I would see if one of you guru's had some advise.
 
Messages
2,556
Location
Columbus Ohio
Well the best UOA posted for that engine, was an infiniti G35 running amsoil S2K 0w30 with LC........I am sure that the mix was fine tuned by terry. [Smile] You might want to consider his services........well worth it. [Wink]
 
Messages
168
Location
St George, Utah
I had what I considered a good UOA using GC 0W30 in my 02 Maxima. The miles are low, >8,000, and the OCI was only 1,800, but the driving is all around town. I liked it so much that's all I will use, at least for a while. I think it has been clearly demostrated that the 5 in 5W30 means nearly nothing except quicker oil delivery within the engine. Besides, the oil still smells nice when it is drained.
 
Messages
156
Location
Tampa, Florida
The Nissan 3.5 is a well made engine with tight clearances. I think the M1 5w30 is a little thin for my liking; I have used the following oils on my 02 Max which have proven to do well on this engine, M1 10W30, Amsoil ASL 5W30, Redline 5w30 and currently Amsoil S2K 0W30. Pedro
 
Messages
413
Location
Marietta, GA
The VQ35DE seems to like the heavier of the 30 weight oils. Any of the Amsoil xw-30 will work well. The Schaeffer's 7000 blend 10w-30 would also be an option. I will second Pedro's recommendation for the Mobil 1 10w-30 versus their 5w-30 if you prefer off the shelf.
 

MolaKule

Staff member
Messages
21,947
Location
Iowegia - USA
My VQ35DE requires anything from 5W30 to 10W40. it seems to like 10W30 Mobil 1 best. I will run a Mobil 1 (5W40) Truck/SUV test this summer if I can find the stuff. Never have seen GC in this "part of the woods."
 
Messages
575
Location
Wisconsin
wind chill is something only humans can really feel. stick a thermometer in a -40 degree wind chill and -40 degree room and you will notice differences. BTW, most poeple who experience those temperatures say that they are NOT the same.
 

Pitbull

Thread starter
Messages
417
Location
Ponte Vedra Beach Florida
quote:
Originally posted by MolaKule: My VQ35DE requires anything from 5W30 to 10W40. it seems to like 10W30 Mobil 1 best. I will run a Mobil 1 (5W40) Truck/SUV test this summer if I can find the stuff. Never have seen GC in this "part of the woods."
I like an oil that is easy to find, because I like to stay with the same oil once I switch. Do you guys think the Mobil 1 10w30 would be good for my area year round?? 90's summer and down to 0 in the winter, but I doubt I would be driving the Z in 0 degree weather, I usually won't even drive it in the rain [Smile] , and it is alway kept in a heated/air conditioned garage.
 
Top