Best Sap Remover

Status
Not open for further replies.
we have a constant battle with 2 pines one either side of the pad where dad and I park. he used to swear by goo gone, but i've had the best luck with 91% isopropyl alcohol, and a microfiber "towel"(about the size of a washcloth).

yes, the white haze can be an issue,especially if you use the same cloth for too long, but nothing the local carwash can't take care of.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
When I was a mechanic at a Honda dealer, the detail guys used penetrating oil. So if you have some WD40 on hand, try that.

Makes sense!

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I always just use a claybar, but I also don't let them sit on the hood until they're halfway transformed into amber.

Ya, they crystalized like an old jar of honey.

Eh paints are usually alcohol safe or gas safe but usually not both. Guess which one won't harm the paint on a GASOLINE fuel vehicle...

I'd kerosene/paint thinner (for oil paints) and rub until gone. Stay away from alcohol on your paint, brake fluid after all is an alcohol too!

Bug/tar removers are basically kero and some buffing compound. That first, then soak in some petro based solvent like above.

I read somewhere that hand sanitizer and spit on a cloth. I tri it and it worked. Took some time and elbow grease though.

If you know you are going to get sap often, keep you car waxed frequently. Any easy to apply and remove carnuba wax is fine even spray wax. This will not let the sap bond to the paint so well so it is easier to remove.

I have used WD40 to remove sap and tar before. on paint. It took a LOT. to melt it way but it worked. Then gave the pain a good washing with a strong mix of car wash and a good waxing afterward.

Last edited:
Baby Oil, Vegetable Oil, Olive Oil, Peanut Butter.. dissolves it on hands and in hair... should work on car too.

With 40 years of detailing experience, I can tell you nothing works better than Acetone. And no, it will not harm the paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back