Sap is Back

I used griots 3 in 1 a couple of weeks ago. I like it, especially the ease of application. I was hoping the SIO2 would help with tree sap. Last go round i had to use acetone to remove the sap, mineral spirits, alcohol, nothing else would.

Well its back , i washed to today, the sap did not wash off. The rest of the dirt came off really easy( i live on a long gravel drive). I'm very happy with how the car cleaned up with the griots on there.

I had sap spots all over. This time i could scrape them off with my fingernail. I don't know if thats due to the griots, or they had just not baked on yet.

Is there anything to keep sap from sticking? Its nuts trying keep these cars clean. Even in parking in the garage does not stop it, as it lands on the car going up and down the drive and road.

When it gets bad, the windshield wipers will chatter over the sap spots.

I may apply the griots again and 24hrs later put collinite 476 over that and see. But the paste wax is a pain to apply.

Pics are with soap on the car.

IMG_20210721_204505118.jpg
IMG_20210721_204436913.jpg

Hand Sanitizer works good . You better park some where else. That Sap will eat your clear coat for lunch.

Hand Sanitizer works good . You better park some where else. That Sap will eat your clear coat for lunch.
The alcohol or hand sanitizer won't touch this stuff. i tried everthing so far, only acetone if it dries hard. Its only been a week, so i was able to scrape each dot off with my finger nail. probably 200 or more little dots .🤬

what kind of sap? for the Pines near my Driveway, 91% isopropyl ( in the first aid Aisle, next to the reg. 70%) pretty much melts the sap. add in some agitation w/ microfiber, and it's like it was never there.

and the drippage is bad enough i Keep both in the back of the car. and have an unlimited wash pass at the local car wash chain.

IDK what kind of sap you're dealing with but, I have always used a bucket of )))HOT, HOT((( water with some dish soap(rubber gloves) to remove sap from paint. It's the best starting point.

I have a product called P&S solvent-x that seems to work very well on SAP. I can send you some if you want.

But I have not found anything that prevents SAP from sticking on paint.

and have an unlimited wash pass at the local car wash chain.
I may try that route. I dont have time to wash 2 times a week, perhaps going through the wash twice a week will get the sap before it bakes, plus I have very hard mineralized well water.
I just won't use the automatic wash in winter when the salt is out.

Get a simple car cover. Dealing with constant sap is a PITA. I'd rather put/pull - on/off a cover every day than look over my paint 3 times a week and remove the sap I know will be back overnight.

Get a simple car cover. Dealing with constant sap is a PITA. I'd rather put/pull - on/off a cover every day than look over my paint 3 times a week and remove the sap I know will be back overnight.
The problem is not the car sitting. It gets sap on it driving. Just driving up and down the drive gets sap on it even if kept in the garage.
The street to my house is overhung with trees, (3/4 mile) and my drive is wooded about 1/8 mile long.
No I'm not moving lol.

The problem is not the car sitting. It gets sap on it driving. Just driving up and down the drive gets sap on it even if kept in the garage.
The street to my house is overhung with trees, (3/4 mile) and my drive is wooded about 1/8 mile long.
No I'm not moving lol.
Oh boy.... got it.

No I'm not moving lol.
Drive faster? 😂

Just had a pleasant surprise go our way for a change. Wife came home the other evening with her pretty pearly white car's hood covered in "cooked" on tree sap. Yellow/orangish goop. I tried some Meguiar's heavy duty tree sap / bug remover and it failed miserably. Started reading all types of cures to remove tree sap without messing up paint job. Once again a product we all have used for all sorts of things came to the rescue. WD40 was suggested on a "auto detail site" to use. Said to spray on / let soak for twenty minutes and then attempt to wipe off with micrpofiber towel. Well while spraying it on the sap instantly started to streak off in the liquid as I was applying it. I started right then to wipe it up and in 5 minutes had the entire hood 100% sap free. Talk about a great surprise. I thought for sure this goop/sap was going to ruin the paint. Well as they instruct I cleaned it off and went stright to car wash to clean. Got home and used some Amsoil Miracle wash waterless wash n wax spray I have in the garage and it is now shiny and clean. Once things cool off later today I will put a good coating of Collinite 476 Super Double coat wax on it. Thanks goodness WD40 strikes again!

Back