Best rental car for a loooong trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
we live in NC, and when my wifey graduates in May/08, we want to take a trip to western US, and visit some major cities...

we don't wanna take wife's Elantra, 'cause it has no cruise control, which i think is important for such a long trip...

so I'm wondering, when the time comes, to rent a car for this trip.
we've never rented a car for such a long trip before.
The car needs to be comfortable and reliable and of course, get good gas mileage, too..

Only the 2 of us, and just our clothes.

So what car would you rent for such a trip, assuming we will be driving all the way to the west from NC? and where would you rent it? (which company)

I almost thought of getting an Elantra WITH cruise control...we think our Elantra is great, and the 6-7 hr trips(one way) to Knoxville, TN are very comfy in the Elantra...but will it be comfy enough for very long trip, as the one we're planning? it just might be...but I wasn't sure...

(we "might" do the 1st leg by flight, but we might not, so right now I'm counting with an all-driven trip, and no flights)
-Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited:
As someone who had to rent a car lately (due to the accident) I can tell you go with a company that will allow the cross country trip (most rental contracts state how many states they will allow you to go)

Also REAL unlimited mileage (which some companies say up to 200 miles a day as unlimited!)

I'd have to say an HHR would high on my list for 2 people and stuff. Excellent highway cruiser, low 30's MPG and considered a mid size car so the rates are lower.

I'm close to 6 ft 6 so if I can fit in it, anyone can. Much better than the PT Cruiser we had for a week. And we will not talk about the Tahoe I had for a week (and it costing $22 in gas to drive 120 miles!)

Be safe and enjoy the trip. Next year I will be making a trip from Salt Lake to Philly and will be driving the Outback. Planning on 2 weeks back and forth.

Take care, Bill

Whenever I take a long trip I usually rent a mini-van from Thrifty. Usually a Chrysler Town and Country. Very roomy. Lots of room for stuff, and decent gas mileage.

Go find a decent Crown Vic,Gran Marquis,or Lincoln. Buy it,make trip, sell when you are done. Don't be suprised though, if Elantra's not what gets the axe.

Bob

We find our base model pickup comfortable on long trips in spite of the plain cloth seats, no DVD player, no eleventeen zone heating/AC, etc., as it has lots of room. If you want good gas mileage look at any GM vehicle (rentals don't seem to offer diesels which would be better) as they seem to do well for any given size, so you can look for a larger vehicle.

Don't confuse comfort with image or faux performance. If you want performance and decent mileage rent another GM vehicle; a Corvette.

Amazing -- I have cruise-control on all my vehicles and never use it. I prefer the foot on the pedal.

Get the V6 Chevy Impala, Ford Taurus or Chrysler 300.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
The car needs to be comfortable and reliable and of course, get good gas mileage, too..

Only the 2 of us, and just our clothes.

I have repeatedly traveled through the country for months on end and bought two used cars for mainly that purpose. Things to consider:

Wagon or sedan?

A wagon is more convenient, but all your stuff (presented like Snow White) can be stolen in a jiffy. Your stuff will be safer in a sedan, because trunk content is not visible, but the amount of gear you can haul will be limited.

In any case, if you stay at motels, park any car with the tail end facing the room (try to do this even if it's against motel policy).

Buy or rent?

If you buy a clunker you will have a very adventurous trip (I prefer that) with possibly unexpected expenses and stays. If you rent, you can always (usually?) get a replacement car quickly. If you drive a rental, you will be more of a target of crimals than if you drive your own car. Unfortunately all (most?) rentals cars are marked with stickers and can be easily recognized as easy targets.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
When you make the trip, either avoid Kansas at all costs, or be prepared for mindnumbing boredom.
I spent a week there one day on the way here.

I found the tornado warnings to be entertaining. We holed up in Dodge City early one evening while tornadoes were hitting about 40 miles ahead.

I enjoy a day or two of driving through the heartland farm country, even without tornadoes.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Get the V6 Chevy Impala,

Another vote for the Impala and I don't even like GM anymore.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: MarkC
When you make the trip, either avoid Kansas at all costs, or be prepared for mindnumbing boredom.
I spent a week there one day on the way here.

I found the tornado warnings to be entertaining. We holed up in Dodge City early one evening while tornadoes were hitting about 40 miles ahead.

I enjoy a day or two of driving through the heartland farm country, even without tornadoes.

I've driven west across Kansas along I-70 twice. Once would have been too much -- if you're talking about driving all day. There are long gaps between exits, and not all the exits have gas stations. And the land does rise; Kansas City is at something like 1000 ft. above sea level, but by the time you cross into Colorado you're at 4000. Over 400 miles, the upgrade is so gradual you don't notice it, but you are climbing.

Anyway, for a comfortable trip, go for a big car, like a Buick Lucerne or the V-6 Impala. My second trip across KS was in a Honda Civic. I got pretty cramped before I reached Denver.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
XS650 said:
I've driven west across Kansas along I-70 twice. Once would have been too much -- if you're talking about driving all day. There are long gaps between exits, and not all the exits have gas stations.

There's your problem.
banana2.gif
US 50 is a nice open uncrowded highway that isn't as boring as I-70 and not much slower. Unless I'm trying to shave the last couple of hours off a cross country trip, I usually spend a lot of time off the interstates.

Most of my driving is on the West Coast so rolling farm lands are something novel for me.
11.gif

Off I-70 in Kansas, especially the northern part, is some of the most beautiful country in the US; ie around Hill City. Really gorgeous with nice green rolling hills and a low precipitation stirated tornadic supercell in the background!
grin2.gif

Any GM midsize/fullsize would be a good road vehicle, maybe a LaCrosse.

By using the interstate, you guarantee not to see any of the country; I have crossed KS, OK, NE, MO, IL and many other states by state highway only; A much more memorable experience by far. Interstates excel in getting you point A to point B quickly, not much more than that.

And we will not talk about the Tahoe I had for a week (and it costing $22 in gas to drive 120 miles!) [/quote said:
At $3.30/gallon (SF Bay Area going rate) that's just over 18mpg. That's not horrendous considering the comfort. Not great, but not bad.

Once you get your intentions sorted out, contact me if you would like info about Kansas City, St Louis or Springfield, MO, or points in between. There can be quite a bit to do before you head west past KC or Springfield. While Kansas is much maligned due to I-70 past Manhattan, there are intersting things off the beaten path that might hold your interest.

As Drew said, the Flint Hills area is very nice.

Since you ask: I vote for Ford Crown Vic/Mercury Grand Marquis.

Drove a friend to DFW two weeks ago(Dec. 14), via Longview, TX- complete round trip ~380 miles. Drove Mom's big '94 Grand Marquis, odo ~112,000 miles. That big 14-yr old beast- with lots of near-parking-lot conditions on I-635 on the way back home, plus lots of 80-85-mph runs on I-20- got 25.98 mpg for the trip. Chevron regular gas. No foolin'.
wink.gif

If you rent a much newer one, don't be surprised if you get 28-29 mpg(or even more) on the interstates.

The theft factor is very real, because of that I'd avoid any wagons or minivans. Of course, I'm sure a nice Buick or Chevy Impala would do well too. Any midsize to full size sedan should be OK. Maybe a Dodge Charger? My brother rents those often, & says they get almost 30 mpg with the 2.7L V6. He drives like you-know-what, & likes 'em a lot.

But I'd rent one of those big Fords.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back