Best protection against Ethanol ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run Gumout all in one as it has up to 15% ethanol neutralizing ability and has PEA which helps with a good cleaning. I used Startron once to help but we have pure non ethanol now so I don't have that worry now.

I use plain old StaBil for non-vehicle fuel, simply some of them sit for months at a time. I use it every time I fill my 30 gallon portable gas can. Everything always starts without issue. I'd do the same if I didn't use E-10.

But in a vehicle that's driven on a regular basis? It will lighten your wallet, but not do anything else. I've used E-10 for 30+ years and never had a fuel related issue on any vehicle.

The main drawbacks of Ethanol( at least for me). Are that it is hygroscopic and lacks lubricity. The former can be combated somewhat by filling at high volume gas stations, to ensure fresher gas. The latter by using a little tcw-3(500:1). Some of the better tcw-3's also have fuel stabilizers in them which would help with long term storage. Realistically none of this is necessary as long as you don't allow the gas to sit in the tank for too long.

I use the Stabil Marine. You can pick it up at Walmart for around $9 a bottle. You use less of it then the regular stuff. Been using it for years in my lawn equipment.

Originally Posted By: 29662
The main drawbacks of Ethanol( at least for me). Are that it is hygroscopic and lacks lubricity. The former can be combated somewhat by filling at high volume gas stations, to ensure fresher gas. The latter by using a little tcw-3(500:1). Some of the better tcw-3's also have fuel stabilizers in them which would help with long term storage. Realistically none of this is necessary as long as you don't allow the gas to sit in the tank for too long.

During the BP oil spill BP refused to reimburse anyone who used ethonal fuels in boats and generator's.

+1 for TCW3, it helps prevent the Ethanol drying out plastic and rubber seals and components, as well as acting as a UCL.
I still add it to my fuel despite avoiding ethanol and using only Shell V-Power! Overkill maybe but it has good cleaning and anti wear properties and I can feel the difference in my engine, idle and acceleration is much smoother and fuel consumption is down around 5-10%

The recommended dosage is 400-500:1 but with the fuel containing ethanol I'd lean towards the heavier end and go for around 400:1

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

But in a vehicle that's driven on a regular basis? It will lighten your wallet, but not do anything else. I've used E-10 for 30+ years and never had a fuel related issue on any vehicle.

Agreed. While I don't have 30 years experience (more like 20) I too, have never had ANY issues. Nor has my wife- so I suppose that's 40 years worth of issue free driving.

Heck, I even use it in my lawn mower with no issues. In fact, it runs a tiny, but perceptible amount better. Let it sit over the winter with a part of a tank and a carb full- hit the key in the spring and I'm ready for action.

I am using Star Tron + MMO and my equipment has never given me any trouble. Even my string trimmer is running better after a few weeks of using this blend. Initially, I had to turn up the fuel to get it to run decent and recently I had to lean it out after the MMO cleaned the carb.

I buy this locally at the recommendation of a small engine shop, and use it in every fuel can (2 Tsp in 2 gallons of gas + 1 Tbs MMO). http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accesso...ier=974763_0_0_

I hope this helps some of you guys because it works for me and its pretty cheap to use.

I use the regular red STA-BIL. I put in 1 oz. for every 2.5 gallons. Preserves the gasoline and keeps my carb diaphragms from getting attacked by ethanol.

Wait a minute, I thought this was the mower section.
confused2.gif

I use red Sta-Bil also in my outdoor power equipment. They might sit over a winter, or only get used a few times a year. All the manuals say the engines/fuel systems are fine with E10, but make sure to stabilize the gas.

Oh wait, we're talking about cars. They swill enough gas where I don't worry about it.

On the other hand, I never use anything added to the gas and I've never had a problem either.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
MMO....4oz per 10gal. I use it all the time, never a problem.

Has anything been accomplished by putting ethanol in gasoline, anything useful? It lowers gas mileage, causes problems with the fuel systems, makes gasoline more expensive and takes food away from pigs. For me, I'd rather have no ethanol, better mileage, less problems with my fuel system, cheaper gasoline and more bacon.

You reduced your fuel consumption by 5-10%?

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
+1 for TCW3, it helps prevent the Ethanol drying out plastic and rubber seals and components, as well as acting as a UCL.
I still add it to my fuel despite avoiding ethanol and using only Shell V-Power! Overkill maybe but it has good cleaning and anti wear properties and I can feel the difference in my engine, idle and acceleration is much smoother and fuel consumption is down around 5-10%

The recommended dosage is 400-500:1 but with the fuel containing ethanol I'd lean towards the heavier end and go for around 400:1

Can you explain what in the engine needs lubricity from the fuel?

Originally Posted By: 29662

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Has anything been accomplished by putting ethanol in gasoline, anything useful? It lowers gas mileage, causes problems with the fuel systems, makes gasoline more expensive and takes food away from pigs. For me, I'd rather have no ethanol, better mileage, less problems with my fuel system, cheaper gasoline and more bacon.

Need something to boost octane. Been a while, but straight cut gasoline is like 60 octane. It can be raised with stuff like MTBE (which is heck on well water if a spill occurs), or lead (which was used for a long time), or ethanol. Ethanol was actually a leading contender as an octane booster until big biz had their way and got lead instead. I *think* various fractions of crude can be isolated and put into gasoline to make high octane fuel; but can't get something for nothing and so I wonder what the tradeoff is.

I've never cleaned an old carb, but I've had my lawnmower open a couple of times, and never seen varnish. I also don't treat fuel before the winter. My OPE is not demanding but I wonder if fresh fuel with its high ethanol content just disolves any crud which may have built up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back