Best protectant for tire sidewalls.

Just wondering what everyone has used in the past. I've got 4 uninstalled brand new tires just sitting in my storage room. I was going to pre-treat them prior to install. Any ideas?

I have been using the 3O3 for the last several months. I like the looks of it on the tires but ultimately the protection is high priority as well.

I use 303 too but I feel like it washes away in a few days after repeated water contact.

I am considering aerosol Stoner's Trim Shine to see how it works. If I wipe down after the spray, it doesn't leave glossy finish, otherwise, it does. The spray bottle type is water-based so I assuming that it will wash out too, just like 303.

My goal is to find something hydrophobic enough that it can be used in winter too, to deal with salt.

Interesting responses from everyone. Thanks. I was just wondering if there's a product that will pre-treat the tires for longer durability prior to install, not repeated use. Say, if I put it on, leave it on for a few weeks. Will the 303 work like that?

I use Poorboy’s Bold and Brite. Water based but is more durable than others. Satin appearance especially when diluted. I use a solution 2/3rds water.

While it is not common, sometimes tires will slip on wheels in deceleration or acceleration. I would be very careful to keep whatever you use away from the rim sealing surface. Slippery coatings MIGHT make that worse.

What are you trying to protect the sidewall from? Generally tires don't need to have any chemicals added to them. The protective agents from environment (UV, Oxygen, etc.) are all 'baked' in.

Interesting responses from everyone. Thanks. I was just wondering if there's a product that will pre-treat the tires for longer durability prior to install, not repeated use. Say, if I put it on, leave it on for a few weeks. Will the 303 work like that?

If you want to store them longer, bag them up in heavy black plastic bags and seal them. Keep them away from any ozone generating source and keep them from freezing. That will go a lot further than anything you can put on the outside of them. Oxygen is the enemy.

^^^ this. Many chemicals may actually soften or degrade the rubber, especially if they have silicon in them.

I tried 303 after all the rave reviews here and was very disappointed in its intolerance of rain.

I use Carpro Perl diluted 1:3 with normal water. Spray on liberally, let soak in for 10 minutes, and wipe away with a MF rag this set up will usually last a few weeks on the road and through about 4 rainy drives. For storage I’d probably do another coat and store them off the floor in garbage bags. 303 Tire dressing also works well, can’t comment on rain resistance since I just moved to AZ and bought it because I misplaced my Perl. Looks similar aestheticly and very easy to apply obviously rain resistance shouldn’t be an issue since OP is storing tires.

To block UV, I used to use tire black, which was essentially thin solvent-based paint. However, the stuff went out of fashion over 25 years ago, so is difficult to find now. Some bicycle tire sidewalls are more vulnerable to UV than car tires.

Back