best product for a plastic lawn tractor hood?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a John Deere lawn tractor and need to know what kind of product should I use on the plastic hood to make it look nice.

Should I use a polish, wax, cleaner wax or what?

I use Zaino Plastic polish on the shiny plastic parts on our cars and it works very well to get and keep them shiny. I would think that any cleaner-wax would do as well.

I used plastix from meguiers on my JD 115 to take out some scratches. but I think after washing any car wax should be good for that.

Wash it and spray on some Duragloss AquaWax. Buff off with a microfiber towel. I did this to my golf cart and lawn tractor and they look really good. You can find this stuff at Carquest and maybe Napa as well. Easy as can be.

Would Nu-finish be ok or is that too abrasive?

I need something I can get at wally mart or advance auto.

That plastic on JD small tractors and Gators is very soft. Just wiping your hand on a dusty hood will produce micro scratches. The manual recommends no abrasive polishes.

I would avoid any product that drys to a dust and products that contain petroleum distillates (car wax). The JD manual recommends using Pledge for the plastic parts.

I have used 303 protectant on my 4115 and Gator with good results. It hides those micro scratches a little bit a gives it a like-new appearance. You just can't maintain this plastic like a hard painted surface. Remember to "buff" it off with a VERY soft, non-abrasive cloth - some cheap cotton towels can actually produce scratches in this soft plastic.

Check out tractorbynet for other opinions.

That plastic on JD small tractors and Gators is very soft. Just wiping your hand on a dusty hood will produce micro scratches. The manual recommends no abrasive polishes.

I would avoid any product that drys to a dust and products that contain petroleum distillates (car wax). The JD manual recommends using Pledge for the plastic parts.

I have used 303 protectant on my 4115 and Gator with good results. It hides those micro scratches a little bit a gives it a like-new appearance. You just can't maintain this plastic like a hard painted surface. Remember to "buff" it off with a VERY soft, non-abrasive cloth - some cheap cotton towels can actually produce scratches in this soft plastic.

Check out tractorbynet for other opinions.

Funny you mentioned Pledge.
Recently became aware of the many "other" uses of pledge.

Makes a great glass cleaner which produces less fogging than other cleaners. Works on stainless steel and plastics too.
Im wondering if Scotts Liquid Gold would be good for the plastic too. I know it does WONDERS on waxed wood and plastic countertop laminate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back