Best power steering fluid to quiet fussy pump

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by dfarr67
Had issues with Honda MT fluid, eventually found Pentosin- nice stuff but hard for me to get.

Honda MT as in manual transmission fluid?

Yes MT6

Originally Posted by kschachn
Had issues with Honda MT fluid, eventually found Pentosin- nice stuff but hard for me to get.
Honda MT as in manual transmission fluid?
Yes MT6

And you're using it as PSF? That's what the thread is about and I'm trying to understand why you brought it up in this thread. I'm lost.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Have you tried what it's designed to use? DexIII and PSF with the GM 9985010 spec.

I've used Maxlife ATF (full synthetic) and Valvoline PSF in my GM issue free. While I like the idea of a "one fluid fits all", I feel the PSF is a tad quieter. Both are close in thickness too.

I wouldn't waste Pentosin CHF 202/11s on a GM.

Waste? If it works and is quiet- I'll bite.

Little wonder why you had issues with Honda MT...

The additive package is highly likely to be all wrong for use in a power steering pump system...

You need to run a fluid that actually has the correct additive package and viscosity for your steering pump system. . . Something tells me it is simply Dexron III or another fluid that is very, very similar in viscosity and additive package.

Pentosin MTF2 was used in a Honda 2015 MT6 application- just a reference to how happy I was moving from oem Honda branded fluid to Pentosin oil.

Threw in some Lubegard additive yesterday as a hail Mary, quieted somewhat stay tuned on this.

Ordered some RP wish it came by the liter, looking for NOS chevy hydroboost rated pump.

Any experience with 'new' Lares pumps through Rockauto?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by clinebarger
GM Saginaw pumps aren't too picky about fluid, If you're using rebuilt pumps.....Not surprised you're having issues.

Clinebarger- what is your source for pumps- I think the dealer sells remans only, not sold on ACD remans.

GM still sells new pumps, '88-'13 truck & van pumps are all the same.....Just the reservoirs, Flow control fitting & Pressure regulator valve shimming are different.

GM 20756714 which fits '07-'13 GMT900 trucks is usually the cheapest, You will need to swap out the reservoirs because your dual return Hydroboost, The Flow Control fitting (The 1" nut fitting) & check that the Regulator Valve is shimmed the same.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Have you tried what it's designed to use? DexIII and PSF with the GM 9985010 spec.

I've used Maxlife ATF (full synthetic) and Valvoline PSF in my GM issue free. While I like the idea of a "one fluid fits all", I feel the PSF is a tad quieter. Both are close in thickness too.

I wouldn't waste Pentosin CHF 202/11s on a GM.

Waste? If it works and is quiet- I'll bite.

Last I knew, Oreilly carried it.

I’ve just been buying it online from FCP Euro.

Well, came around full circle and did a flush with Beck Arnley Honda fluid and one bottle of Lubeguard. Still get an odd growl but nothing like before. Seems like this is an old trick.

Just went through a similar issue:

I ended up with a brand new pump, all new lines, cooler, powerboost, and full flush. Can't hear a thing now and the Royal Purple does well in the freezing temps in OH.

Back