Best performing all weather tire for snow

60k life isn't disappointing. Having a rubber compound that is soft enough to grip the snow/ice doesn't usually go well with long wear.

What do you want? 100k miles hockey pucks and all-weather traction?
I have already acknowledged that 60k is fine in my other responses. Just wasnt familiar with the trends

Didn't see mentioned the Firestone Weathergrip. Had them on a Forester before I sold it. Only tested in the rain and cold (excellent).

My Toyo's in Lexus sig are under the radar and great here in the ice/snow, GX470 is full time 4WD will go up my drive 250'L x 25'H incline in a foot of snow...have a little over a year on them (9k) good at all conditions, wearing great 11/32, handsome, nothing to be ashamed of.

Which one?
Michelin Cross Climate - I think was never available in the USA.
There are '+' and '2'.
Both cannot be 'the best'.

Krzys

Didn't see mentioned the Firestone Weathergrip. Had them on a Forester before I sold it. Only tested in the rain and cold (excellent).
Tire surface is right to left .
IMG_3854.JPG
IMG_3855.JPG
IMG_3856.JPG
IMG_3857.JPG
IMG_3858.JPG

Nokian WRG4, firestone weathergrip, goodyear weatherready, michelin crossclimate 2

vredrestein are good for uhp tire but not as good as some others mentioned in the snow.

Nokian WRG4, firestone weathergrip, goodyear weatherready, michelin crossclimate 2

vredrestein are good for uhp tire but not as good as some others mentioned in the snow.
i see you are from my area. What tires do you have? Wish I would have seen the weathergrips earlier. I like the extra 5k miles over the competition.

I wonder what the performance difference is between the weathergrip and the crossclimate 2 in the snow. Is it worth the extra $130 for the cross climate? Seems like the firestone is a steal. Surprised more people arent mentioning it. Thats really the review comparison that is needed from these professional reviewers. Love the extra 5k warranty.

I am price conscious and I am looking for longer tread life. But that doesn't tell me about the performance difference...ughh

Last edited:
I run dedicated winter tires.

If I was going to run all weather, I'd most likely go nokian wrg4 suv but if the others had a good sale it might sway me.

Michelin is known for maintaining performance throughout the tires life.. and the crossclimate 2 boasts WORSE traction that the org. model but way better treadlife.

I put nokian wrg2 suv on a 2013 outback and really liked it but the tread life of earlier models left something to be desired.. the newer wrg4 model does have improved treadlife.. over earlier models.

you wont find a good all weather tire with super long treadlife.. its a compromise to get good traction in the winter.

Those 100k mile warranty tires rarely make the warranty miles and are so biased for treadlife they are usually average or below in other areas.. such as wet traction etc.

Now tire technology advances and one day may make my statement false, but not in 2020.

60k life isn't disappointing. Having a rubber compound that is soft enough to grip the snow/ice doesn't usually go well with long wear.

What do you want? 100k miles hockey pucks and all-weather traction?
Have you not read anything except the original post...I get it...haha

So what I have gathered from this thread is that there is a definitely a divided opinion on which all-weather tire is the best in snow. Seems like Firestone weathergrip, Nokian wrg2/4 and cross climate are the top 3. I guess i will just pick one and hope for the best. Looking forward to see how this plays out over the next year when my subaru needs new tires. I think i'm going to go with the cross climate 2 for my Pilot only bc of the great Costco 150 discount, the Michelin reliability, and the fact that it is really hard to get right now. People are buying it up like crazy and the factory is running limited production due to covid (I got the last set in NE Ohio). I have a feeling that I cant go wrong with any of the 3 options. However, I wish I had enough info to justify the Firestone weathergrip which is significantly cheaper than the other options.

price comparison:
Nokian>Michelin>>Firestone

if it wasnt for the Costco discount, I would probably buy the Firestone

Last edited:
Nokian WRG4 is the answer, I have almost 70,000 miles on my current set on my 2018 Outback and expect to get about 10,000 more miles out of them before replacement.

These tires truly are the next best thing to a dedicated snow tire 🇫🇮

Nokian WRG4 is the answer, I have almost 70,000 miles on my current set on my 2018 Outback and expect to get about 10,000 more miles out of them before replacement.

These tires truly are the next best thing to a dedicated snow tire 🇫🇮
Dont they only have a 60k warranty life? I haven't seen anyone reporting such extended results. Wow

Dont they only have a 60k warranty life? I haven't seen anyone reporting such extended results. Wow

This is my third set of Nokian tires and all three have been incredibly well built with slow treadwear. Most of the driving on these tires is on the highway and I have rotated them regularly. They can be a bit noisy at higher speeds with a certain drone noise.

IMO, either of these two options:

IMO, either of these two options:

I have not used the WRG3 but I have used the original WR series tire on my former 2003 Outback and the Rotiiva on a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD. The Rotiiva is actually made by another manufacturer and sold under the Nokian brand. They were an okay tire but not nearly as good in slick conditions as the WR series. I could feel them slipping quite often in snow and slush.

Back