Best PDF Modifying Software

I have new iMacs and need to find a great PDF modifying software. I need to convert to Word from PDF's. What I am doing is finding teaching
outlines I like but need to modify them for my classes in Romans. I tried one program and converted a PDF to Word and it really jumbled up
the letters and format. When I tried to insert a "K" it inserted a "0". The number "7" became a letter. Ok, I am a little ignorant and am relying
on some of you for direction. I paid $79.99 for this one PDF Reader Pro Lite and it didn't work as I expected. Apple reimbursed me which I thought was
awfully kind of them. I need direction.
Wait. Can't Word *natively* "print" to PDF?!

And don't Macs have a built-in PDF "printer" to generate PDFs from anything you can print from?

EDIT: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mchlp1531/mac

Yes, but Gebo wants to go in the other direction (i.e., convert an existing pdf file into a Word document). In any event, he's good now (see post #19).
Thanks for clarification. I am so good now thanks to Hall

Yes, but Gebo wants to go in the other direction (i.e., convert an existing pdf file into a Word document). In any event, he's good now (see post #19).
Ah, **all** the posts count! :) :) :)

I read post #19 but I am skeptical that fonts embedded into a PDF - some of which may be license-encumbered - would make the transition to a Word document properly, given that a font used in Word would have to be conventionally installed in the host system.

but I am skeptical that fonts embedded
He indicated that it converted "perfectly". I thought most OSes or applications have a database of "similar" font types so if they encounter some "FancyFont123", they have a cross-reference that indicates "Arial" is close and that's what it will use.

I am only concerned with modifying 2 different outlines for my class. Just wanting to eliminate some of what is there and
adding some of my own stuff. And it worked "perfectly" in both of my trials. I didn't have to deal with all those boxes and such.

Just move the curser and delete and start typing where I needed to add my thoughts.

I really got stressed Wed afternoon (class Wed nights) when I had to retype and reformat 6 pages. And all the time realizing I would
be doing that for 3 hours or so every Tues/Wed. Nothing to do with study and mental preparation. Just typing outlines....

Apple was kind enough to reimburse my $79.99 for that program. Some things they do are very impressive to me.

Libreoffice.

How can I convert Word file to PDF? In LibreOffice Writer simply click the PDF icon on the Standard Toolbar or in the menu select File - Export as PDF

He indicated that it converted "perfectly". I thought most OSes or applications have a database of "similar" font types so if they encounter some "FancyFont123", they have a cross-reference that indicates "Arial" is close and that's what it will use.
Yes, and a lot of those substitutions are near-pefect (ie. Helvetica and Arial); but the not-quite-perfect nature of that process has been the cause of a lot of similar support threads to this one!

Reactions: LvR
I am only concerned with modifying 2 different outlines for my class. Just wanting to eliminate some of what is there and
adding some of my own stuff. And it worked "perfectly" in both of my trials. I didn't have to deal with all those boxes and such.

Just move the curser and delete and start typing where I needed to add my thoughts.

I really got stressed Wed afternoon (class Wed nights) when I had to retype and reformat 6 pages. And all the time realizing I would
be doing that for 3 hours or so every Tues/Wed. Nothing to do with study and mental preparation. Just typing outlines....
It helps if you understand that a PDF file is a final format much like a printed page and it's always best to work with the source file and not the output. One way to look at it is you're trying to recreate a pig from sausage and as such you may experience unexpected results.

Libreoffice.

How can I convert Word file to PDF? In LibreOffice Writer simply click the PDF icon on the Standard Toolbar or in the menu select File - Export as PDF
I must not have been clear enough. I wanted to go the other way. PDF to Word. Or maybe I’m not understanding what you are saying.

It helps if you understand that a PDF file is a final format much like a printed page and it's always best to work with the source file and not the output. One way to look at it is you're trying to recreate a pig from sausage and as such you may experience unexpected results.
Funny you use that analogy. We just finished bagging and sealing 80 lbs of an old ground up sow. Hams included in the sausage.

If it says "reader", probably not.

I don't see regular "Adobe Acrobat" in the App Store at all. I see Acrobat Pro DC for $14.99/mo but it "requires annual committment" so that's $180 in reality (that's false advertising to me). Otherwise, there are endless non-Adobe options but no way to know which are good vs bad.

Do you have current MS Office ? Or maybe it's the Office 365 versions... They are supposed to be able to open PDFs and convert to DOC on-the-fly. There can always be compatibility glitches though so you can't expect 100% accurate conversions.

HALL, YOU NAILED IT!!!!

Microsoft Office 365 converted the PDF's and did the 2 documents I checked perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't you just open word, then Open a "pdf" file and then it will convert it by itself?

Already done and solved 👍

Hall, may I add just a few more thoughts?

I think of you often. Every time I use 365. I think I have a man crush.

Acrobat Pro is the way to go. There are others like Foxit, Bluebeam(Windows only, and more for AEC) and the tools in Office and Macs. But Adobe does tweaks to the PDF standard - it’s basically a PostScript file at its heart but with portability, security and scripting(with Javascript) features.

Back