Best Paint for Storm Shelter

I have a steel, buried storm shelter for tornadoes. The part that sticks out of the ground, where the entrance door is, is starting to get rusty and needs repainted. (it's white). What would be a good DIY paint and such that would halfway last on this? Right now I thought about using rustoleum on a can and brushing it on. Does this sound like a decent way to go with this?

Maybe a good automotive paint with a clear coat on top. That might protect well but but not matter whst you do use - you have to sand and prep well or rust will bubble up and thru your fresh paint.

I would do something like POR-15, then paint over it with something like Rustoleum industrial paint. The POR-15 for protection, and the paint to protect the POR-15 from the sun.

Since rust has been mentioned I am reminded of my year in the merchant marine after high school. I was 16 and my job was to paint the superstructure. There was no effort wasted on rust treatment, rust removal, and such nonsense "Boy, you paint over it." The rust would come through in no time and I'd be painting over it once more. The layers of paint were in some spots over half an inch thick! I bet the paint was thicker than the metal.

Do they still sell paint with lead in it? Stuff seems to last a while. Just refrain from licking it I guess?

I have a steel, buried storm shelter for tornadoes. The part that sticks out of the ground, where the entrance door is, is starting to get rusty and needs repainted. (it's white). What would be a good DIY paint and such that would halfway last on this? Right now I thought about using rustoleum on a can and brushing it on. Does this sound like a decent way to go with this?
Use naval jelly to stop the rust then use a green scotch bright pad to scuff the old paint. I'd then go with an epoxy paint as it will last much longer.

I would love to see some pics of your tornado shelter.

Look towards industrial epoxy type coatings if you want to do in once and do it to last forever. I have a client that provides maintenance at the space center for all the towers and what they can not powder coat, they use an epoxy paint process. I know thats a broad statement but in FL we have so much corrosion tha its almost a full time job keeping the salt away from things. I coat all of my outdoor equipment, ac, pumps, etc with a rust encapsulator like POR15 then some epoxy paint that he gave me.

TH

Hopefully, you won't need it today.
Dont think so, mostly just nasty slow rain today. It was installed when we bought the house in 2014. Not much to it, just a metal box in the ground, with an outside door. Have used it a few times since. A bit paranoid after getting hit last time.

I would love to see some pics of your tornado shelter.
IMG_7597.jpg
IMG_7596.jpg

Back