CA storms.. We need the rain, but, all at once?

Last night's storm, was woken up around 3:30 am to loud winds and what sounded like hail. But it was the lightning that was unreal. It was going off like a strobe light non-stop. I been all around the world and lived in Georgia for a while. Never saw lightning like last night. It was a continuous thunder too. Seemed like something from a science fiction movie like on another planet.

Are celebrities political? Ellen was whining that this is because we are mean to mother nature. From her gigantic multimillion dollar compound she flies to in a private plane.
San Diego area has not gotten anything out of the ordinary, a wet year but nothing catastrophic.
Wasn't Ellen the one who was mean to her staff, news which ultimately ended her show?

Montecito, a wasteland of a different type. Harry Hewitt and his wife live there.

Scott

Every time I think I'm going to get out and blow the leaves off the property, it starts raining again. Soggy leaves everywhere.

Since the beginning of recorded history California has had a drought and flood weather pattern. That is one of the reasons Shasta dam was built to keep the upper central vally from flooding every rainy winter. It seems we don't even believe the climate changed which caused the last major ice age to end.

When these winter storms hit up north the USCG goes out to get some good surf training. Maybe the crew at the Golden Gate station hit the Potato Patch?

When the settlers came to California back in the 1800's they were amazed that there were not many Indians there, wonder why?
By the 1800s, the Spanish already had a couple of hundred years to oppress and enslave Native Americans. Flu, smallpox, measles and syphilis introduced by the Spanish killed an estimated 90% of them. By the 1800s their numbers were way down. The American settlers didn't have that many Native Americans left to oppress when they got there so they had to rely on oppressing the Mexicans.

Be careful out there on those car lots and salvage places. Cars marked as "theft" when really they are flood recoveries with salvage titles. Some may even bypass the salvage titles. Lots of flood vehicles from different storms and floods lately.

My septic tank leach fields became so saturated they back flowed into the septic tank itself, rendering sinks, showers, and toilets useless. I had our 1,200 gallon tanked at 2PM to the tune of $800 even (it's California, after all).

By 8PM, just 6 hours later, the tank was over capacity once again from the back flow. So, we're getting a hotel room for the next two nights so we can use the toilets for #2s and take showers. For #1 we're simply making trips to a backyard bush, including Sue.

Hopefully my leach fields aren't permanently damaged from this, but I'm not feeling sorry for myself. When it rains people get wet, roofs leak, trees fall over, and septic tanks fill up. Without question I'd rather have this rain than I would another year of drought.

Pics of our neighborhood park that's just down the street from us, taken Monday afternoon Jan 9th.

Scott

View attachment 134955View attachment 134956

Out for a walk in the neighborhood on Jan 8th, before the big storm.
View attachment 134958
View attachment 134962

If you didn't live in CA I'd say just open up the cleanout that comes out of the house before it goes to the tank to relieve the pressure, but the EPA around there would be all over you for that. Hopefully when the water goes down your field will recover.

I'm going to be dealing with leach field issues here soon. Nobody knew about testing the soil for proper drainage back in 1965 when it was installed. 57 years later it's definitely surfacing now. It was fine with just the little old lady living here, but not 2-3 people. Everyone has to have a sand mound style or anaerobic system due to the poor draining of the soil in my area.

Back