Best open carry holster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the best open carry holster for a Glock 26? I'm wanting a belt holster.

Thanks in advance!

The one that works best for you. Too many choices. This is something that needs some time and thought along with a tryout and some practice. There may not be an exact answer. The choice might depend on climate, dress code and preference and may change as you gain more time carrying.

How's that for ducking the answer?

I have a couple of hand-made leather holsters custom made to the guns I carry in them(I actually give my holster maker the gun, and he molds the holster to it).

Without actually being a "retention" holster these do a pretty darn good job of retaining the gun without any additional straps or other fittings-they pretty much require you to pull the gun straight out. I do have a thumb break on some for better retention. The straight sides of an automatic make retention even better than on a revolver.

A well-made leather holster is truly a work of art. I have some plain ones and some with various tooling patterns. One of my favorites is what's called a triple basket weave with my initials and made for my Colt Trooper.

I open carried for a long time in KY before I got my CCW, and still do with some regularity. For non-LEO, I think a true retention holster is probably overkill, but I do think some level of retention to prevent a random gun grab or more importantly the gun falling out is a good idea. If nothing else, you should look for a strap, although I have a strong preference for thumb breaks for their easier operation.

If you've been carrying concealed for a while, you likely went through a bunch of holsters to find one that suited you, and probably still select from a couple depending on the situation. Open carrying is no different. I've found that a right hip holster with a small amount of forward cant works best for me, but again that's a choice thing and I do have them in other configurations as the situation dictates. A shoulder holster can be a very comfortable alternative with bigger guns and in certain situations.

I dont know what the best belt holster might be, but I do know what the best budget holster is. The Glock sport combat holster, made by Glock, is SURPRISINGLY good for a $13 holster. It pulls the gun in tight to the body and is pretty durable. It's much better than the Serpa holster, in my opinion. And it gets rave reviews by most people that own them. Can't go wrong for $13.

http://www.amazon.com/Glock-Sport-Combat-Holster-9mm/dp/B015ZPIE7K

I don't think I'd use a non-retention holster for OC. I do have a non-retention OWB holster for my M&P made by Jason Winnie.

http://www.jasonwinnie.com/

Mine's the open top pancake style with body shield. It's an excellent leather holster, and I use it on the range or under a jacket carrying concealed. It fits very tight to the body and conceals the gun well.

For my Shield, I recently bought a Blade Tech Total Eclipse holster. It's an OWB holster and fits great. It has a adjustable, but passive, click retention with the trigger guard. It also fits tight to the body, and would work well for both types of carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back