Best Oil For Turbo engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zveroboy
Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Red Line carries neither the Dexos nor API ratings that your owner's manual likely references.

It exceeds those ratings by a factor of ten.
On the other hand there are cheap n nasty, low quality oils out there that do carry the specification, because the blender paid to have the spec printed onto the bottle.

for shear stability, oxidative stability, film strength and a strong add pack, Redline is the way to go. Others may suffice, but none will lubricate or protect from wear as well as Redline.

I've heard it all too many times.

Those "cheap n nasty" oils, if they carry real specs on the bottles, that means they have passed INDEPENDENT TESTS.

I invite you to PROVE your statements.

For the OP: afaik, the latest Porsche A40 tests include a "hot autobahn shutdown" test for turbos.
This was discussed here

Those real specs are just met, at the bare minimum, by large corporations with the liquid cash to buy the tests & certs.
Redline far exceed the specs but don't buy the testing

Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula and Castrol 0W-30 European Formula (called EDGE now?) have been my turbo oils for a long time.

I do need to learn what a DEXOS is. Kira

Those real specs are just met, at the bare minimum, by large corporations with the liquid cash to buy the tests & certs.

I think that Redline 5W30 looks like a fantastic warm climate oil with an HTHS of 3.7 and NOACK loss of only 6%, but its CCS viscosity at -30C is at the high end of its grade for synth. I am one of those few who actually starts his car at very low temps (parked outside on ski weekends in the Whites) and don't feel this is the oil for me as a result...haven't done the research to see where Redline is on calcium given my DIT concerns about its effect upon LSPI.
http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/Motor Oil PDS 5-13.pdf

OP: Nice Ride!

If it were my vehicle I would go with a full synthetic "Dexos" in the grade spec'd by GM in whatever name brand you like. Me personally, I like Pennzoil so I will recommend Platinum or Platinum Ultra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
OP:
If it were my vehicle I would go with a full synthetic "Dexos" in the grade spec'd by GM in whatever name brand you like

Yes !

Dexos for the warranty (plus it's a good standard) and full synthetic because that can handle the heat of a turbo better.
In your favorite name brand.

Job done.

Cheap company then. Pony up the cash and demonstrate that you meet the specs if you want to compete.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Cheap company then. Pony up the cash and demonstrate that you meet the specs if you want to compete.

Substitute the word "cheap" for "too small a company to pay fees that are aimed at huge international corporations" and you're right on the money
wink.gif

The 1970s marketing still works . Except todays oils aren't the oils from the 1970s

Red Line carries neither the Dexos nor API ratings that your owner's manual likely references.

We could use some more information though. Please read this.

On the other hand there are cheap n nasty, low quality oils out there that do carry the specification, because the blender paid to have the spec printed onto the bottle.

for shear stability, oxidative stability, film strength and a strong add pack, Redline is the way to go. Others may suffice, but none will lubricate or protect from wear as well as Redline.

The question is does it matter and is the extra cost involved for redline worth it?

My wife changes her 2005 Legacy turbo oil every 4k with conventional. She never cools it down or warms it up. The OEM turbo is in excellent condition with 190,000 miles...

Originally Posted By: wemay
No need for Red Line, Royal Purple or Amsoil. All great but not necessary. Many Dexos certified, top line oils out there...

Pennzoil Plat/Ultra
Castrol Edge
Valvoline Synpower
Mobil1
Quaker State Ultimate Durability
etc

There's no need for a watch that's waterproof to 100m if you're not going to dive that deep, but you still have one.
There's no need for a car that can exceed the speed limit
There's no need for many things but we do them regardless - more is obviously better;)

This will be a good analogy when you can prove RL is better than any oil i mentioned but the same measure.

We're still waiting for your research papers, studies, or even UOA showing Red Line is 10 times better...

Originally Posted By: zveroboy

I've heard it all too many times.

I invite you to PROVE your statements.

Pfff, repeating the same old story may prove things, but not the statement itself.
I don't dare to ask you once more for a proof.
frown.gif

To the OP: Since you are getting the free oil changes for probably 2 yrs/24K miles, tell your service guy at the dealer that you want full synthetic (probably Mobil 1) and you will pay the difference. I do this at my dealer; he charges me a $20 upcharge for the Mobil 1 5W-30 - worth it IMO.

Last edited:
If it were me, and I have had three turbo cars in a row - most going well over 200K miles before changing cars, I'd put Rotella T6 in and not look back. But it is not specifically Dexos cert, so maybe go with the other oils listed ...

Rotella has been servicing turbo motors under heavy load and high heat for decades now and no-one complains about their engines dies from either turbo failures or basic engine component failures that I've heard of ...

Last edited:
I feel turbos need full synthetics. If the dealer only provides blends, do it yourself.

The only other oil I'd consider would be Pennzoil conventional 10w30, but I doubt GM would like that for warranty purposes.

Originally Posted By: Trav

We could use some more information though. Please read this.

Man the lifeboats its gone over the boots. Come on now, Redline may be good but its certainly not 10x better. I would put PU or Mobil 1 0w40 up to it any day.
No one can just pay to print the dexos spec on the bottle it has to prove it meets the spec and a decent spec it is.
+1

Originally Posted By: Trav

Man the lifeboats its gone over the boots.

Excised from Trav's entire quote by me. Because it's just hilarious!
crackmeup2.gif

And we are supposed to just take your word for it?

In an unlikely event the OP's engine has a lubrication-related failure while using a non-approved oil, will you pay for his new engine?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

And we are supposed to just take your word for it?

In order to make the claim, then surely there's SOME evidence that Olas can bring to the table WRT to the claim.

What we DO know about Redline...
* They claim suitable replacement for GF-5 (with an HTHS of 3.7 ????)
* They claim A3/B4

That's deceptive right there, there's no way an A3/B4 with an HTHS of 3.7 can meet "energy conserving" GF-5...if they tested it, then clearly they could'nt claim it, because then it would just be a lie rather than deceptive made up stuff.

Does a small company get a free kick for claiming the impossible ?

I guess it "exceeds" the minimum requirement.

As the other factors, their unique chemistry would lead one to think that deposits could be an issue...so the OP's question re turbos is relevant.

Amsoil's testing put Redline's TEOST outside the GF-5 limits, and quite a bit worse than most of the oils that carry certifications.

So it "Exceeds" the industry limits on TEOST for a spec that it claims to be suitable for.

But it must be "ten times better" somewhere else then...

I would advise the OP to avoid this oil while under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back