Best Oil For Turbo engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redline 5w30 has too much Phosphorous to meet even SJ and SL limits, much less SM and SN. So it's not an oil I would recommend for an engine under warranty.

Me so dummkopf eh; Now I'm confused. Wouldn't "synthetic blend" indicate that the engine oil is formulated form more than one synthetic base oil type? Is a scotch blend half beer or a blend of more than one scotch to achieve a specific goal?
Signed; I wish I could afford single malt in Canada eh?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Me so dummkopf eh; Now I'm confused. Wouldn't "synthetic blend" indicate that the engine oil is formulated form more than one synthetic base oil type?

LOL

The OP lives in Washington State and is likely subject to emission testing along with his warranty requirements. So a high quality SN oil seems called for in the warranty period.

I must say though that I haven't seen such a Lord of the Flies hysteria for what was obviosly a simple figure of speech since I was maybe nine years old.

I have some "prove its" for you. Prove that a mineral/PAO/blend survives and works to the same high temperatures as an ester based formulation. Prove that lower AW amounts of additives such as zinc/phosphorous, et al, are superior to more of those within reasonable limits of those additives. Prove that using a mineral/blend can be made as unharmful and ecologically friendly as an ester. Prove that esters use just as much nonrenewable resources as the others.

Prove. Prove. Prove. Ridiculous isn't it and totally schoolyard stuff. Apologies to the OP. We aren't always like this. Give Olas a break for goodness sake.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
The OP lives in Washington State and is likely subject to emission testing along with his warranty requirements. So a high quality SN oil seems called for in the warranty period.

I must say though that I haven't seen such a Lord of the Flies hysteria for what was obviosly a simple figure of speech since I was maybe nine years old.

I have some "prove its" for you. Prove that a mineral/PAO/blend survives and works to the same high temperatures as an ester based formulation. Prove that lower AW amounts of additives such as zinc/phosphorous, et al, are superior to more of those within reasonable limits of those additives. Prove that using a mineral/blend can be made as unharmful and ecologically friendly as an ester. Prove that esters use just as much nonrenewable resources as the others.

Prove. Prove. Prove. Ridiculous isn't it and totally schoolyard stuff. Apologies to the OP. We aren't always like this. Give Olas a break for goodness sake.

Sorry but only one person made the assertion that a particular oil is 10 fold better...

Originally Posted By: wemay
Sorry but only one person made the assertion that a particular oil is 10 fold better...

I know. My issue is with how many piled on to a figure of speech.

I know. My issue is with how many piled on to a figure of speech.

Right. So he followed that figure of speech with "Redline far exceed the specs," as if that made it any better. Figure of speech or not, we still have no idea what he based these statements on, and without it, it just makes him sound like a Redline fanboi.

Unfortunately, it's beginning to catch on. That ridiculousness was also claimed here. And ridiculous claims, where we're dealing with products that go through standardized testing, should be jumped on. Ten times, indeed. More like ten times the shovel to wade through the fertilizer.

Originally Posted By: AUSA
Hi Gents:
I am new to this site and having looked around really feel like this is THE place to get answers for engine oil questions. OK. Here goes.

I have a 2014 Cadillac CTS V Sport twin turbo. It is a 3.6 liter DOHC w DI. Cadillac recommends DEXOS blend. I hear I should go full sync? I have 4K miles on her, and need some sage advice on which oil to use. Thanks!

Personally I think M1 or Castrol 0w-40 are two of the best oils you can buy for TGDI engines. And it is what I run on my V6 EcoBoost with confidence.

That said, they are not Dexos1 certified. This doesn't automatically void a warranty as the manufacturer would have to verify that the failure was oil related. So if you stick with a Dexos1 oil, I'd go with M1, Edge, PP, QSUD, or Synpower.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Unfortunately, it's beginning to catch on. That ridiculousness was also claimed here. And ridiculous claims, where we're dealing with products that go through standardized testing, should be jumped on. Ten times, indeed. More like ten times the shovel to wade through the fertilizer.

I agree with disagreeing in such cases. What I don't care for is hectoring and belittling language. At some point we start sounding dumber, or at least cruder, than a simple fanboy.

I think that happens as people are on the forum longer and longer, and I, too, am guilty of that. You see the same bizarre pronouncements time and time again. You explain them away kindly and respectfully and carefully a few dozen times, but it eventually evolves into telling the person that they're simply peddling manure.

I understand that. I have a lot of respect for the board and all you guys who built it. I was just getting concerned what a new outsider like our OP (post #1) must think and it bothered me. I'll go back in my hole now, no harm, no foul.

Olas has been around enough to know better. There's nothing wrong with Red Line, but there are two issues that are important in this thread, and that the OP should consider, and that's where people got annoyed.

The vehicle calls for a dexos1 specification. That may or may not be the "best" choice for the vehicle in question. GM's specification doesn't call for the best, most thermally stable oil out there, Red Line or not. And, if dexos1 could only be met, hypothetically, by Red Line, there would be a holy war of epic proportions on BITOG for GM foisting an expensive, comparatively hard to find lube upon its customers. In any event, the OP should first look towards a dexos1 licensed oil, assuming he wishes to follow the path of least resistance for warranty concerns. Going to simply dexos1 compliant or something totally different (i.e. Red Line) is perfectly acceptable, provided it's within one's comfort zone and area of knowledge. I have no problem using Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 in my G37. I don't blindly recommend it in every Nissan or Infiniti thread, though.

Of course, the ten times better isn't quantifiable, and Olas is technically savvy enough to know better about that, too. But, none of that excuses rude remarks.

To the OP, if you're still here and not been frightened away, if it were me, I'd be grabbing whatever dexos1 oil you happen to like best and stick with it, for the oil life monitor (OLM) dictated intervals. For me, that would probably be M1, Pennzoil Platinum, or Quaker State Ultimate Durability, since they would be about the most readily available for me. The dealer would probably use a dexos1 blend, and some of those are available at certain retail locations.

Thanks for the advise gents! I am still here, and actually enjoyed all of the passionate discussions. Looks like I have two key take away. First, use a good full sync oil that is Dexos certified. I want to avoid warranty issues, so this seems right. Looks like Mobile 1 or PP are good choices. Second, I really like the advice of asking the dealer to use full sync and pay the difference. I will give it a try next week.

One more thing, and sorry to bother; should I stick with the Delco P - 63 oil filter? Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't like AC Delco ecore filters, but I do like AC Delco classic filters. So, I don't know exactly what I'd do if I was in your shoes. The dealer may also have a fully synthetic option, if that's your preference, and it may not be too much extra money.

Thanks for the advise gents! I am still here, and actually enjoyed all of the passionate discussions. Looks like I have two key take away. First, use a good full sync oil that is Dexos certified. I want to avoid warranty issues, so this seems right. Looks like Mobile 1 or PP are good choices. Second, I really like the advice of asking the dealer to use full sync and pay the difference. I will give it a try next week.

One more thing, and sorry to bother; should I stick with the Delco P - 63 oil filter? Thanks!

Glad you are still here and you enjoyed the lively discussion. Welcome!! by the way.
At least nobody ignored you.

I like your take home, a full synthetic Dexos oil, and ask the dealer to do it for you with you paying the difference. If they don't have a full synthetic there, you can usually provide your own and just pass it to them to use, same with a good filter. Just make sure they are happy it meets warranty standards before you buy it.

Have fun in you new car.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I agree with disagreeing in such cases. What I don't care for is hectoring and belittling language. At some point we start sounding dumber, or at least cruder, than a simple fanboy.

Crickey! I didn't think so many people would take a turn of phrase out of context.
DeepFriar - thanks for seeing it how I meant it
Garak - I know it doesn't meet spec, I was going off the question asked in the thread title. The OP didn't ask for recommendations of the cheapest oil available at Walmart that meets spec, he asked for the best oil.
To me, best is AW & FM adds, absolutely NO VIIs whatsoever, thermal resistance and oxidative resistance - Redline fits all those boxes..

Re all of the "how is it 10x better?" remarks - how many individual VII molecules are there in your oil? None in Redline. PPM of phosphorous? I have shimmed bucket type cam followers so more zinc is better. We all know cleanliness is next to Godliness, right? Esters clean, others varnish and sludge. Redline is clearly superior in all these fields and they advise you to mix within their own products to achieve the KV/HTHS values you need. So their customer service and openness with information is 10x better than all the other oil companies who only tell you "it's proprietary"
At the extreme end of the scale - which oil can stand upto the conditions within an 8000bhp top fuel engine in a dragster? That's right, Redline can.
Can an oil stop the Hemi Tick? redline can.
Ad infinitum...

Originally Posted By: Olas
It exceeds those ratings by a factor of ten.

That's quantitative, or a statement of fact, not a turn of phrase or figure of speech...deservedly, you got asked for qualification/justification.

Hi Gents:
I am new to this site and having looked around really feel like this is THE place to get answers for engine oil questions. OK. Here goes.

I have a 2014 Cadillac CTS V Sport twin turbo. It is a 3.6 liter DOHC w DI. Cadillac recommends DEXOS blend. I hear I should go full sync? I have 4K miles on her, and need some sage advice on which oil to use. Thanks!

DEXOS blend is what you should use. Its what the maker of your very expensive car recommends. I would trust them over the opinion of anyone else. There is a reason for semi syn and Cadillac is not the only one that recommends semi...

Whether or not you choose "DEXOS" approved semi is up to you and up to you to research but using a semi I would do for sure.

Last edited:
Edge, M1, Synpower, and PU have all be recommended in this thread. I've run all these in my modified/tuned turbo and would run all of them again. I run the Xw-40 versions, but my owner's manual allows them. 5w-30 in any of these four should get you as far down the road as you want.

Edge and synpower might have an advantage on high temp deposits. There was a amsoil test a few years back that suggested so, at least...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back