Best oil.... for the price

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after browsing this site for some time, I'm on to my second thread.

Anyway, I see lots of oil are turning out good reviews (UOA) today. So my question is with so many good oils on the market, which ones are the best bang for your buck in the classes of dino and synthetic? Which ones have the longest oci for the least cash?

I know most things are specific to a particular engine and how you drive, but in general some oils have to be a better value than others and this will give myself and others a good place to start when searching for the best oil for our car/truck.

Thanks!

I here about all these coupons and rebates.... where do you guys find them? Is there a special area here I don't know about lol?

Thanks for all the replies guys/gals!

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
While it lasts: many of the WalMarts have Valvoline MaxLife, in a box of 5 qts, on sale for $7.50. That's only 12 cents a qt more than Supertech.

cheers.gif
fruit.gif

I would say Havoline dino and rotella t. penzoil platinum would get my next vote.

BITOG sales/rebates forum Check often for good deals.

FREE Maxlife

Pep Boys Rebates

CSK rebates

Advance Auto isn't out here, so I don't have that direct link.

But check for the monthly rebates and you can score some deals. PenzPlat was less than $.50/qt after multiple rebates earlier this year.

If you don't mind doing rebates, they are definately THE cheapest way to get oil and other things. Purolator filters for $0.99 or less after rebate, various fuel injector cleaners are Free After Rebate (FAR) many times. Last summer Bosch filters and Techron were FAR. Stock up when you find the deal and you can do full syn oil changes for less than $5-10 with the filter price included.

cheers.gif

For regular price and no specials,rebates etc,,Phillips Trop Artic with out a question is the best low priced lube,and for sale items,Chevron is really good,have purchased Quacker for 88 cents ,Shell gets low priced on sale amoung othors,Schaeffers is also a good choice if you want top tier lubrication.BL

I like exxon superflo. You can buy all day anytime for about 2 bucks a quart. If you catch it on sale or with rebates I have seen it as low as 1 buck a quart.

quote:

Originally posted by mossad:
Mobil Clean 5000
1.97/qt on sale right now at Advance Auto

They also have Regular Mobil 1 for $4.77 a QT. and EP Mobil 1 for $5.9?.

Best bang for the buck in conventional is Wal-Mart house brand, Jrfish007. It works about as well as any conventional oil out there in UOA.
For synthetic... man, that's hard to say. With the way oil prices are jumping around, I'm inclined to say that most folks would do well to find the lowest price they could on 5W30 from any of the following brands:
Redline
Mobil 1 Extended Performance
Amsoil (excluding the XL7500 line)

If you were looking for a 40-weight, I'd give honorable mention to Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W40. It's a tough oil and priced below the trifecta I mentioned above.

I'd second the WalMart SuperTech for regular dino, although personally I buy whatever SM oil is on sale and change it at 5K.

For synthetic, the Trop Artic at WalMart is a blend, and at$1.48 a quart, is hard to beat for the money.

I agree with TomJones 76 with the Rotella. Also Pennzoil Platinum is a great buy when you can get it for 2.00 a qt. With you being in Ohio the best that I can think of for conventional is 69 cents coupon for a qt from Pep Boys for Pennzoil.
patriot.gif

While it lasts: many of the WalMarts have Valvoline MaxLife, in a box of 5 qts, on sale for $7.50. That's only 12 cents a qt more than Supertech.

Also at WM's in this area: Phillips 66 TropArtic synthetic blend at $1.48/qt.

I stocked up on Formula Shell SL dino some months ago, it should be a good oil for 3000 up to maybe 5000 mile OCI's. It's often on sale at all kinds of stores- I bought all mine at Walgreens!
grin.gif
for my area, it was an excellent buy at $1.29/qt.

People keep posting about oil for $.49/qt after rebate, or other similar deals. They seem to be mostly out west or in the northeast. If anything like that is available in your area, go for it. Right now Valvoline will rebate the purchase price of 5 qts of Maxlife- you wind up paying only for sales tax & a stamp.
wink.gif

So far, it looks like anything rated SM should turn in good to excelent results. If price is important, or you just like finding a bargain, shop around & look for sales, rebates, etc.(Lots of problems reported with Pep Boys rebates, though!
mad.gif
)
cheers.gif

pennzoil platinum for synthetic, easy call. as for dino, the cheapest SM rated dino you can find would be the best bang for the buck.

After I finished typing that, it occurred to me that you didn't mention synthetic blends. There are some good oils in that category, although my personal preferences come down to either:

1. The cheapest oil that works at all, run at intervals ANY proper oil can handle
or
2. The best oil I can afford, run at 1 year intervals.

I don't like climbing under my vehicles more than I absolutely have to. As a result, M1, M1 EP, or Amsoil get my vote on annual (give or take) OCIs.

Group IV/V in any case.
Preferable AMSOIL all, Mobil 1 all, MOTUL 8100, ELF/TOTAL 0W30 or 0W40.
The better is cheaper, and not the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back