Best oil for new GM Direct Injection Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
We purchased a Chevy Traverse LTZ with the direct injection engine. Anyone know if these engines are prone to any oil related problems? I have read the direct injection is particularly hard on oil.. don't know if its true. I changed the oil at 1000 miles because it looked black.. I know that the color doesn't mean much but I am a little old school. Anyway, just ticked 2000 miles and its black again. Doesn't smell bad, just black. Wondering if it has something to do with the direct injection... Any thoughts? I was planning on Castrol GTX for oil changes, but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks.

I'm sure Castrol will be fine, and I'm sure you can go longer than 2000 miles (of course). DI isn't really hard on engines, but since there is no mist of fuel to wash deposits from the intake valves the vaporized oil that passes through the PCV can have a tendancy to form some crud there. Changing oil more often won't have a direct effect on this.

How do you like the engine? I see it's rated 32 highway vs 25 for my Highlander, are you getting anywhere close to that? It's a big car, is the power OK? Is it smooth... I hear they're putting it into a 4000 lb Buick and a little interested to see how that decision pans out.

My two cents, best of luck with your new ride. Gtx, every 5000 miles sounds good.

Actually the Travers engine is rated at 17 city / 24 highway for mileage (according to the window sticker). We are getting 19mpg in our local city driving. Haven't had a chance to open it up on the highway yet. We are very impressed with the vehicle. Its our first GM purchase. The engine has a lot of power and is very smooth and quiet. Sometimes its hard to tell its even running.
Throttle response is pretty instant. It was a little hard getting used to.

Personally, I'd run a good synthetic (for that extra bit of protection), a good quality (non-Fr*m) oil filter, and let the oil life monitor tell me when to change it.... and not worry a bit.

(I'd run Pennzoil Platinum and a Wix or AC Delco oil filter. But that's just me. Pennzoil Platinum is an excellent oil for the money, and oil analysis proves it.)

If you look in the UOA section you will find that the 3.6L DI GM engine does beat the snot out of oil and changing according to the OLM using a SM/GL4 oil meeting the GM 6094M spec for the 3.6L will probably get you safely past the warranty period but questionable if you will achieve the longevity most of us are seeking.

Having said that, it is my understanding that you will benefit a DI engine by using an oil that has a very low Noack Volatility number, a max of 11.0 but you can purchase oils that have Noack Volatility well below that. Not sure you current selection achieves a low Noack Volatility number. I think I would also suggest exceeding the 6094M GM spec and use an oil that achieves the GM 4718M spec.

Last edited:
Is the '08 Pontiac G6 GXP 3.6L VVT a DI motor? Or is it just the one in the caddy?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lonestar
If you look in the UOA section you will find that the 3.6L DI GM engine does beat the snot out of oil and changing according to the OLM using a SM/GL4 oil meeting the GM 6094M spec for the 3.6L will probably get you safely past the warranty period but questionable if you will achieve the longevity most of us are seeking.

Having said that, it is my understanding that you will benefit a DI engine by using an oil that has a very low Noack Volatility number,a max of 11.0 but you can purchase oils that have Noack Volatility well below that. Not sure you current selection achieves a low Noack Volatility number. I think I would also suggest exceeding the 6094M GM spec and use an oil that is achieves the GM 4718M spec.

I don't plan on relying on the OLM. I don't trust it. I'm a little old school and still go by the 3K mile OCI. Since the DI engine beats up on the oil, would anyone agree that a 3K mile OCI with a good conventional oil would be better than a 5K mile OCI and, say, Pennziol Platinum?

From what I've seen, these engines murder oil. If I was using the OLM, I'd wouldn't use anything other than a synthetic. If I were using a dino, I would go past about 3-4k.

These engines are going to cause problems for GM down the road. Like the Northstar, in a few years people will start having oil consumption issues with these engines...just my opinion.

You can start all types of arguments on dino VS synthetic in any engine. However, if the exact same engine you have was place in a CTS, SRX, or the new Cadillac Lambda platform it would come with a factory fill of synthetic oil, specifically M1. In my Lambda I will be using synthetic, probably Amsoil but at a minimum PP, the new Valvoline formula, or M1 and change at no more then 5K intervals until UOAs indicate different. The problem with a UOA is that is it is not going to show you the junk building up on the valves.

Can you recommend a few oils with a low Noack Volatility number?

The owners manual states I must use an oil that meets the Gm 6094m spec. It says nothing about the 4718m spec. Will I run into any warranty issues if I use something that other than GM 6094m?

And unless I am mistaken, only a few oils meet the GM 4718M spec and I believe they are all synthetic.

Originally Posted By: RamAir5
Can you recommend a few oils with a low Noack Volatility number?

The owners manual states I must use an oil that meets the Gm 6094m spec. It says nothing about the 4718m spec. Will I run into any warranty issues if I use something that other than GM 6094m?

And unless I am mistaken, only a few oils meet the GM 4718M spec and I believe they are all synthetic.

GM 4718M is the spec for Corvettes, and is a tougher spec than 6094M. All 4718M oils will also be 6094M approved. 4718M is an exclusive club, as far as oils go.

I wouldn't use anything less than 4718M in your application, it will only cost you a few bucks more per change. Pennzoil Platinum is GM 4718M approved.

Wouldn't limit myself to 4718M oils. If you're looking for low valatility, Amsoil ols are good. XL 5W-30 meets API specs, and has good numbers.

I'm assuming that PP will survive a 5K mile OCI with this "tough on oil" engine?
Why the concern about the longevity of this motor? Should I expect problems down the road with this engine? After spending the kind of money I just spent on the Traverse, you have me at least a little concerned. Thanks...

If you snoop around for info on DI engines, regardless of manufacture, you will find that that they tend to develop a lot of deposits on the values and tend to clog up PVC systems. Without any specific basis besides logic, I will only run a Tier 1 gasoline in my DI and will use a synthetic oil with a very low Noack rating. And although people on BITOG will come out of the wood work on this, I will dump the synthetic oil well before the OLM says it is time. This is solely based on the UOAs I have seen on this engine thus far and not my UOAs for I only have 2K miles on my 3.6L.

I believe this is only the 2nd year for the 3.6L DI and it (the DI version of the 3.6L) was used exclusively selective Cadillacs in 2008. It should provide a good service life but I suspect to achieve that will take a bit more care and attention to the type of gas used, type of oil used, clean air filters, and clean PVC systems. Time will tell.

More DI engines will be introduced as manufactures work to achieve new fuel efficiency ratings. The 3.6L has a lot of power and torque for its size but as stated, I do not think it is an engine that you can run oil in for 8K to 10K miles and use whatever gas they have at the local Stop and Go.

If you snoop around for info on DI engines, regardless of manufacture, you will find that that they tend to develop a lot of deposits on the values and tend to clog up PVC systems. Without any specific basis besides logic, I will only run a Tier 1 gasoline in my DI and will use a synthetic oil with a very low Noack rating. And although people on BITOG will come out of the wood work on this, I will dump the synthetic oil well before the OLM says it is time. This is solely based on the UOAs I have seen on this engine thus far and not my UOAs for I only have 2K miles on my 3.6L.

I believe this is only the 2nd year for the 3.6L DI and it (the DI version of the 3.6L) was used exclusively selective Cadillacs in 2008. It should provide a good service life but I suspect to achieve that will take a bit more care and attention to the type of gas used, type of oil used, clean air filters, and clean PVC systems. Time will tell.

More DI engines will be introduced as manufactures work to achieve new fuel efficiency ratings. The 3.6L has a lot of power and torque for its size but as stated, I do not think it is an engine that you can run oil in for 8K to 10K miles and use whatever gas they have at the local Stop and Go.
It's PCV not PVC!

Sorry, thats a pet peive of mine!

Originally Posted By: EricG

It's PCV not PVC!

Some people say Positive Crankcase Ventilation and some say Positively Vented Crankcase.....same thing, just semantics :).

Originally Posted By: EricG

It's PCV not PVC!

Uh huh.... and making a big deal of others' typos is a pet peeve for a bunch of other folks as well.

Plus, you misspelled a word while correcting someone else for doing the same thing.

Ooops.

I'm a fan of the new engines. The thing sound like it has a supercharger. And it reaches 7000RPM!
shocked2.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3to8FLOxhc&feature=channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back