Best oil for new GM Direct Injection Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the Pontiac website says the '09 G6 GXP is "SFI" not "DI"...so I am assuming that only the caddy's got "DI"???

I need to know whether an '08 had DI or not.

Originally Posted By: lonestar
Having said that, it is my understanding that you will benefit a DI engine by using an oil that has a very low Noack Volatility number, a max of 11.0 but you can purchase oils that have Noack Volatility well below that. Not sure you current selection achieves a low Noack Volatility number. I think I would also suggest exceeding the 6094M GM spec and use an oil that achieves the GM 4718M spec.

+1 lonestar. In part that's why I am using a 4718 oil in my Traverse. (Two changes from now I will try out use an oil with a lower NOACK # than the QH).

See here RamAir5 for two UOAs of this engine.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1494396

Last edited:
My brother has the new GM engine for his Cadillac CTS and it has more power than my 08' Impala SS with the Corvette engine!!!!! For a V-6 that is impressive to say the least. His dealership uses Castrol "Syntec" instead of the Mobil 1 that is GM's standard. On my Impala SS the dealership uses Chevron products instead of Mobil 5000 for dino and their synthetic version for the Corvette's.

I guess each dealership options to use their own as they see fit.
Anyone know what the GM part number is for the over the counter oil/standard?

Durango

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Well the Pontiac website says the '09 G6 GXP is "SFI" not "DI"...so I am assuming that only the caddy's got "DI"???

I need to know whether an '08 had DI or not.

Well I guess I was wrong by stating all 09 GM 3.6L are DI – I thought they were. However, it is my understanding that in ‘08 only the Cadillac line got the DI version of the 3.6L and in 09 the DI version was dropped in at least the Acadia, Traverse, Enclave, & Outlook as well as Cadillac models.

Originally Posted By: EricG
. . . It's PCV not PVC!

. . .
Sorry, thats a pet peive of mine!

You know that old saying about people who live in glass houses, and throwing stones???

You are correct. PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation. PVC = Polyvinylchloride, a plastic from which pipes and food wraps are made.

But here's the problem: It's "peeve", not "peive". . .
48.gif

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: EricG

It's PCV not PVC!

Sorry, thats a pet peive of mine!

Uh huh.... and making a big deal of others' typos is a pet peeve for a bunch of other folks as well.

Plus, you misspelled a word while correcting someone else for doing the same thing.

Ooops.

That would be O/K if I corrected his spelling, but I corrected his wording. PVC = Poly Vinyl Chloride, PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventalation. I dont't care how well he spells, but I do belive in using the right wording.

Are only the DI 3.8L engines hard on oil? I have a neighbor with a non DI 3.8L Acadia and would like to fill him in if necessary.

Originally Posted By: lanteau
Are only the DI 3.8L engines hard on oil? I have a neighbor with a non DI 3.8L Acadia and would like to fill him in if necessary.

I think you mean the 3.6 engine. And yes there are a couple of problematic UOAs posted in the past 3 or 4 months for 07/08 non DI Acadias. Do a search.

Last edited:
I wish - I have a 2008 Aura XR that I wish had the 3.6 DI motor. The G8 would be a good candidate for the DI motor. It is getting rave reviews in the press in the Camaro.

woahhh so the 3.6L SFI (non-DI) "GM" engine is hard on oil, regardless of whether it is in an Acadia or not??? Or just the Acadia? Is it a PCV thing or what?

ALLLLLSOOOO Is the DI version making that much more power than the non-DI version? All I can tell you is the G6 GXP is darn fast regardless of the "apparent" fact that it is not DI.

The 3.6L DI used in the Enclave and Acadia is rated at 288 HP and the Taverse and Outlook have a 281 HP version as well as the 288 HP version. All have 6sp autos. Is it fast? Well, in a 4600 to 4800 lbs vehicle it is not exactly a pavement eater but it does not feel under powered in town or on the highway. You do have to get use to the 6 sp trans at lower speeds for it seems, at least mine anyway, that the vehicle is always seeking the correct gear. The focus is on economy so the trans wants to get the engine turning as slow as possible based on the speed you are going. Sometimes it shifts into a higher gear a bit sooner than it feels it should but, tap the gas and it does down shift quickly.

I suspect in a car like the Camaro that weighs at least 1000 lbs less than the GM crossovers the 3.6L would scoot very well. However, if getting a Camaro why get a 3.6L when the 6.0L is available

Last edited:
When we bought our Traverse LTZ the salesman told us the 7 extra horses (288hp vs 281hp)come from the dual exhaust. The Buick and GMC Lambda platform CUV's have duals therefore they have 288hp with the DI engine. The Traverse and Outlook are available in trim levels that do not include the duals.
Our Traverse is very quick for its size. Handles much like a car than a Crossover. It doesn't lean much when cornering and has great pickup.

Originally Posted By: RamAir5
When we bought our Traverse LTZ the salesman told us the 7 extra horses (288hp vs 281hp)come from the dual exhaust. The Buick and GMC Lambda platform CUV's have duals therefore they have 288hp with the DI engine. The Traverse and Outlook are available in trim levels that do not include the duals.
Our Traverse is very quick for its size. Handles much like a car than a Crossover. It doesn't lean much when cornering and has great pickup.

Well the non-DI 252hp 3.6L in the G6 GXP sure gets up & goes...0-60 in 6.0 sec, that is as fast as the twin turbo 300ZX was if I remember correctly

Ok, the recommendation is to go with an oil that has a lower NOACK rating. I have been doing a little research and the 10w30 oils have a lower number than the 5W30 oils. Will I run into any issues running a 10w30 oil when GM recommends 5w30? Both weights are GM 6094m and GM 4718M approved.

Pennzoil Platinum is 9.7 for their 10w30 and 12.5 for their 5w30. Castrol doesn't even list theirs.
Would someone please educate me as to exactly what the NOACK Volatility means and why it's important... in layman's terms. thanks.

NOAK Valatility numbers are how much oil will 'vapourize' out of the oil in the engine, and this is problematic b/c it causes consumption (loss of oil volume); but more importantly, when these vapours cool on metal surfaces, they leave varnish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back