Best Oil for 2011 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Lambda V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rodraid

The manual states 5W-20 up to 10W-30 so what would be better in Dallas, TX?

If it were my car, I'd go with the thickest oil the manufacturer allows for.

We use 5W-20 Chevron Supreme in all our late model Hyundai customers cars with no trouble at all so far. We also stock Chevron Supreme Synthetic if customers want but only our Honda customers ever want Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5W-20. I do know Hyundai dealers in this area try everything they can to kick out warranty claims so keep records of everything.

boss do you hear any start up noise either when you first start it in the morning or after it sits for a couple of hours in your 2011 santa fe? Being in the engine business i see this a problem with a lot of those those engines

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
boss do you hear any start up noise either when you first start it in the morning or after it sits for a couple of hours in your 2011 santa fe? Being in the engine business i see this a problem with a lot of those those engines

Some of the 3.3-3.8 Lambda engines had bad timing chain tensioners. Noise on start up was the indication of bad seals on the tensioner. IIRC all Lambda engines have mechanical lifers.

There were a bunch of changes lately to the Lambda family, DI for one, and the creation of the 3.5l. It may be possible there are timing tensioner issues again.

Since January I own the same year/model, same engine. Dealer used 5w20 Syn Blend and a Hyun oem filter for first oc. I believe the oil to have been similar to/same as Motorcraft SynBlend (Conoco) as they use Kendall oil advertising.

Recently diy'd the oc using 5w20 Pennz. Plat. and a Hyun. oem 3C30A filter. I think you might find the linked thread interesting regarding Hyun oem filter choice. Since that thread I found a local deal on Napa Gold (wix) cartridge filters. They look identical to the Hyun. oem C250 and are also made in SK just like the oem. Stocked up so that's what I plan on using in the future. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2375885

For now I plan on sticking to the 6 month max severe service oci, but like you may go up to 5k in that time as opposed to the recommended 3750 mi.

IMO, 5w20 year round even in Texas will work fine. It's what the dealer here uses, and what I plan on running. Quaker State is recommended by Hyun, but any major dino, syn blend or synthetic for 5k OCI would also be fine. QS Ultimate Durability or PP would be good choice in synthetic oils.

One other suggestion, you might find the Genesis owners forum of value for more information. Fwiw, I've experienced no engine issues, as alluded to above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back