Best oil filter from reading this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree whole-heartedly with the statment above.

Flow is not an issue on just about any mass market filter from any brand name. They all will flow WELL more than the engine oil pump will ever push. As a mass generalization, probably on a factor of 2:1. So quit worrying about flow. How the PureOne ever got this undeserved reputation for restriction is beyond me; it's an internet myth. Somewhere here (cannot find it at the moment) there is a response from an engineer with lab data showing the filter more than adequately flowing, even past what a high-performance Corvette needed at full WOT rpm. Folks need to get over this. Any brand name filter will flow more than well enough. Period.

Further, there is a great deal of data to show that as long as the OEM specs are met (min flow, min efficiency, size, dP, burst pressure, etc), then the filter is really moot. I am not saying a filter is unimportant; do NOT misunderstand me here. I am saying that as long as you meet minimum safe OEM criteria, any filter will do the job well enough to support a very long OCI. You can buy a "better" filter, or even what you believe to be the "best" filter, but you'll not see any significant shift in wear one way or the other, in normal use. I would challenge anyone to prove otherwise with real world data or a credible SAE study. There is simply enough variance that the small nuances of filtration get lost in the noise. The only time you would see a true shift in performance is either to GREATLY extend the OCI (thereby pushing a lessor alternative to the point of failure), or gross system negligence where a premium product would not avoid failure, but perhaps postpone it's arrival by some undetermined amount.

There is no "best" filter that can be covered by a blanket conversation. However, there are many good products that will more than fill the need. What you "want" past that is up to you, but don't for one second believe that your best is always the best. The only way to PROVE what is "best" for any particular application would be to do a LONG, CONTROLLED series micro-analysis study. (See my article about normalcy on the home page).

Originally Posted By: SilverGGA
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...9148#Post309148

Mixed bag of options there ... as usual.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Agree whole-heartedly with the statment above.

Flow is not an issue on just about any mass market filter from any brand name. They all will flow WELL more than the engine oil pump will ever push. As a mass generalization, probably on a factor of 2:1. So quit worrying about flow. How the PureOne ever got this undeserved reputation for restriction is beyond me; it's an internet myth. Somewhere here (cannot find it at the moment) there is a response from an engineer with lab data showing the filter more than adequately flowing, even past what a high-performance Corvette needed at full WOT rpm. Folks need to get over this. Any brand name filter will flow more than well enough. Period.

You mean this thread that was linked already a couple times in this thread ... and in many other threads every time someone chirps out that "PurOnes are restrictive to flow". Here's real measured data ... not some internet squirrel's assumption that the PureOne is restrictive because the pleats look packed too tight together ...
lol.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

Ah yes, thank you kind sir! You are a credit to the site! That snake would have bit me for sure ...
I'll bookmark that link. Actually, I probably already have it bookmarked ... amongst the 5700 other things I have marked ... which is why I could not find it in the first place ...
Sucks to get old and start forgetting things ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Ah yes, thank you kind sir! You are a credit to the site! That snake would have bit me for sure ...
I'll bookmark that link. Actually, I probably already have it bookmarked ... amongst the 5700 other things I have marked ... which is why I could not find it in the first place ...
Sucks to get old and start forgetting things ...

lol.gif
... yeah, too many bookmarks in the world. I try to post a link to that thread any place I see the opportunity. Maybe in a decade or so people will realize PureOnes aren't really "flow restrictive". And I agree and have said so many times that almost any good brand oil filter will flow well enough to not make a difference to the engine.

There are these KIA/Hyundai engines however that seem to be sensitive to oil filter, and I haven't quite determined why ... I think it's a combo of a different oiling system design/pump and maybe the use of counterfeit oil filers by some.

I have been an AC Delco oil filter user for years, used Motorcraft oil filters when I owned a Ford. I have always tried to use OEM filters whenever possible.

Since joining this site, folks on here make it almost sound like AC Delco oil filters will be the death of my engine and I better use a PureOne, Mobil 1, etc., or else. While I am no fan of E-core AC Delco oil filters, I imagine that they do their job and the negativity is all mental.

Originally Posted By: stchman
While I am no fan of E-core AC Delco oil filters, I imagine that they do their job and the negativity is all mental.

Wrong, it's not imaginary when you actually experience a blow out, dissect why and come to factual conclusions:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1807522&page=1

Use them all you like. If I were you I would look down the center tube first and make sure the pleats are tight and even.

Originally Posted By: webfors
While I am no fan of E-core AC Delco oil filters, I imagine that they do their job and the negativity is all mental.

Wrong, it's not imaginary when you actually experience a blow out, dissect why and come to factual conclusions:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1807522&page=1

Use them all you like. If I were you I would look down the center tube first and make sure the pleats are tight and even.

The AC Delco PF48 is not an E-core filter. I bought a whole bunch of them when I knew AC Delco was starting to move to E-core filters.

I do agree that the cage is not a good design as the media had to go somewhere. My girlfriend's Cobalt used that canister filter with an E-core style cage.

Originally Posted By: webfors

The AC Delco PF48 is not an E-core filter. I bought a whole bunch of them when I knew AC Delco was starting to move to E-core filters.

I do agree that the cage is not a good design as the media had to go somewhere. My girlfriend's Cobalt used that canister filter with an E-core style cage.

The non-ecore AC Delco's are fine filters. Seen many of them cut open and they look great.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

grin.gif

Yes. However, the main message I picked up from Terry in that post, is that it doesn't really matter much. The order of importance is:

1) Air filtration (good air filter seal, no stupid oil soaked filter that will pass oil to the sensors and stuff downstream)
2) Oil
3) Oil filter

If (1) and (2) are taken care of, (3) doesn't really matter much as long as manufacturer's specs are met.

If either (1) or (2) are screwed up, it doesn't matter whether you get your (3) from aliens.

grin.gif

Yes. However, the main message I picked up from Terry in that post, is that it doesn't really matter much. The order of importance is:

1) Air filtration (good air filter seal, no stupid oil soaked filter that will pass oil to the sensors and stuff downstream)
2) Oil
3) Oil filter

If (1) and (2) are taken care of, (3) doesn't really matter much as long as manufacturer's specs are met.

If either (1) or (2) are screwed up, it doesn't matter whether you get your (3) from aliens.

The way I see it is that 2) & 3) are tied together. Use a good oil filter and the oil will stay cleaner longer, which is important if you are doing long-ish OCIs.

You can buy a really well constructed, high efficiency oil filter for $6~10. IMO, that's not gonna kill anybody in the wallet, and it certainly can't hurt the longevity of the engine. And no, I wouldn't use a cheap filter just to save a couple bucks not knowing if spending a few bucks more does make a difference or not. I keep my vehicles 15+ years, so call it "cheap insurance".

The problem I have with AC Delco oil filters is that I have to remember to look for the Classics and be sure to not buy the "E" series (Champ) of oil filters. That seems easy enough but why even bother ?

Another reason is I'm concerned that AC Delco will realize that the "E" series filters are being avoided by some do-it-yourselfers and start putting the "E" series into the Classic boxes.

I just put on the last of my known good AC Delco PF52 and it will be my last. I just don't want the hassle of dealing with AC Delco and I cannot reward AC Delco for going to the cheap Champ filters anyhow. It'll be Purolator Classics, NAPA Gold or comparables from now on.

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
The problem I have with AC Delco oil filters is that I have to remember to look for the Classics and be sure to not buy the "E" series (Champ) of oil filters. That seems easy enough but why even bother ?

Another reason is I'm concerned that AC Delco will realize that the "E" series filters are being avoided by some do-it-yourselfers and start putting the "E" series into the Classic boxes.

I just put on the last of my known good AC Delco PF52 and it will be my last. I just don't want the hassle of dealing with AC Delco and I cannot reward AC Delco for going to the cheap Champ filters anyhow. It'll be Purolator Classics, NAPA Gold or comparables from now on.

I have a stash of assorted filters even though the vehicles that they went on are long gone. I was looking for my old tools that I left behind at my folks' place where I did oil changes for them and my own cars. There were a bunch of AC and equivalent filters in the corner that I'd long forgotten, including PF47, at least one PF52, PF53 (for their Camry), and at least one Super Tech with the old Champion design. Some are over 12 years old.

I remember when the AC filters were a grab bag of suppliers, including GM in-house divisions and Champion Labs before E-Core or their folding into Fram. I even remember some that were labeled as made in England by GM's UK division. These ones were very different looking with a different base design, and a ridge around the circumference of the filter. I found one on sale on eBay:

$(KGrHqYOKocE35g,etHUBOG32T,(e!~~_35.JPG

Someone actually had a stash of older PF47 filters and decided to cut them open:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2785956

So there was the made in England version with flat-sided fluting (this one is in good shape, but he cut into one that was rusted):

Image12122011182744.jpg

Later on there are photos of what look like the AC Rochester version. Then I remember the Delphi versions that had a dual-level baseplate.

Ok, I've been reading and contributing to this forum for about a month now. After a lot of reading from posts on here it seems to be that the best oil filter out there is the:

Purolator PureOne

From the chart that ZeeOSix posted the PureOne filters out 51% of particles at the 5 micron level. Only way it would seem to get better filtering would be to use a bypass system. Since the PureOne oil filter is $7 at Advance Auto, it's on par price wise with regular filters and filters as good as a filter costing twice as much.

Yea thats a good filter I have had some problems with flow restrictions back when they were in the BLUE CAN.

However you might want to take a look at FRAM ULTRA...

I was not a big fan of FRAM for a while and after I got a FRAM ULTRA and took it apart after useing it I was shocked.

I evern took the filter element OFF and there is 3 layers with the metal screen.

IMO

FRAM ULTRA plus its only like $1.50 more then Pureone.

might be same price or cheaper if you get a walmart

Ok, this is a good discussion.

So does the PureOne oil filter with its higher efficiency reduce oil flow? It seems to make sense than a more restrictive filtering element results in decreased oil flow.

It did for me.

I had a 1997 Buick Lesabre with low low miles my Grandpa left me when he passed away.
Had a 3800 Series II V6

When I would put a PURONE Oil filter and be at idle the Oil pressure would be near the red.... the flow was that bad.

then I would rev the engine up and it would climb higher.

So I got a AC DELCO PF47 NONE E CORE and the oil pressure gauge would stay perfect in the middle at all times.... Idle, or driving.... just perfect

Well I thought that it might of been a bad filter... I tried a PUREONE again and it did the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!

then I went back to store and they had no PF47 and I got a FRAM Extra Gaurd and the oil pressure gauge was perfect in the middle like the A/C Delco...

Ever since then, I have not used a PUREONE.

Now perhaps since now they are in a new Yellow can , perhaps they changed it up, I dunno

However I have not tried it on my Honda

Also I have heard to many stories about them being to restrictive..

I rather have good FLOW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: David1
When I would put a PURONE Oil filter and be at idle the Oil pressure would be near the red.... the flow was that bad.

then I would rev the engine up and it would climb higher.

So I got a AC DELCO PF47 NONE E CORE and the oil pressure gauge would stay perfect in the middle at all times.... Idle, or driving.... just perfect

If that oil pressure gauge stayed in the same spot in the middle of the range at idle, and while driving, then it wasn't a very good gauge. It should move around when the engine RPM changes, and should go down when at idle. The gauge movement with the PureOne filter is how a good oil pressure gauge would normally work. Lower oil pressure at idle, higher oil pressure at revved up engine RPM. Maybe the oil pressure sensor was located before the filter on that car, and what you saw was that the PureOne was really the best flowing filter and the others were the restrictive ones.
lol.gif
That's how the gauge would have reacted if located before the oil filter.

And beside, the only way you could actually get lower oil pressure at idle is if the oil pump was at max pressure relief while idling. Do you know how restrictive the filer would have to be to cause that? ... basically fully clogged. I doubt an oil pump would even go into pressure relief at idle if a filter was totally clogged and was flowing 100% of the oil through the bypass valve. So things just don't add up with what you've described seeing.

Originally Posted By: David1
Now perhaps since now they are in a new Yellow can , perhaps they changed it up, I dunno

I've posted the flow vs psid thread about a dozen times in the last week (even in this very thread
grin.gif
), and that thread proves the yellow PureOne is not restrictive to flow. Can't vouch for the old blue PureOnes, but I doubt they were very restrictive either.

I have also heard many stories on the Net. No doubt there may be some truth in them, but most are baloney.

Pure One is just fine in our apps, no problems here at all...

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I compiled a list from 2012 what BITOG'ers were using, and the PureOne was very popular at #1 reported useage.

The number to the left is the ranking, the number to the right is the number of filters used on the BITOG oil change thread.

1 Pure One 147
2 Motorcraft 119
3 Puro Classic 97
4 Wix 64
5 Mobil 1 48
6 AC Delco 42
7 Napa Gold 41
8 Toyota OEM 32
9 Bosch D+ 31
10 K&N 27
11 Other OEM 26
12 Fram Extra Guard 25
13 Hyundai/KIA OEM 24
14 Mann 24
15 Other Store Brand 23
16 Bosch Premium 20
17 Fram Tough Guard 17
18 Amsoil 13
19 Royal Purple 13
20 Fram Ultra/Extended 12
21 Quaker State 12
22 Mopar 11
23 Baldwin 11
24 MicroGard 10
25 Honda OEM 8
26 Super Tech 8
27 BMW OEM 8
28 Napa ProSelect 7
29 Casite 7
30 Driveworks 5
31 DENSO 5
32 Mahle 5
33 Napa Silver 4
34 Hengst 4
35 Valvoline 4
36 Napa/Wix syn 3
37 STP 3
38 Purolator Synthetic 3
39 Hastings 2
40 Fram High Mileage 2
41 MicroGreen 2
42 Champ 2
43 Pennzoil 2
44 Fleetguard 2
45 Knecht 1

There's a lot to like with a PureOne, I can't use them on the Jeep they are bad for rattle but they work fine on our other vehicles. Tough Guards on the other hand filter just as well as a PureOne at 99% and start up problems disappear.

Down the line, how many folks will be left stranded along side the road with a worn out/ failed engine because they had chosen filter #12 over filter #1 ??

I've posted the flow vs psid thread about a dozen times in the last week (even in this very thread
grin.gif
), and that thread proves the yellow PureOne is not restrictive to flow. Can't vouch for the old blue PureOnes, but I doubt they were very restrictive either.

Zee, I'm afraid it's wasted breath or in this case wasted typing for some individuals. All one has to do is read the posts in this thread and elsewhere to see that it goes beyond echoing the P1 restriction myth, to an agenda. I mean everyone knows that "stories" are more reliable than the scientific data posted in the flow vs psid thread.
whistle.gif

And how long has it been since the blue P1's have been sold, 2008-09? Even if there was a shred of real evidence regarding flow restriction of the previous P1, it's irrelevant to the current P1. Agreed though, doubtful they were very restrictive either.

All that said, I do appreciate your persistence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back