Vintage PF47 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a stash of old AC PF47 oil filters. I think they're from around 1982. One of them was lying in the trunk of my mom's old Buick, so I thought I'd cut it open to see if it was intact, and if I could use the rest of these filters on her car. Here are some pics of one of the nice boxed filters:

Image12122011182744.jpg

Image12122011182815.jpg

And here's the rusty one from the trunk cut open (and slightly mangled from using a hacksaw, sorry..):

Image12122011200713.jpg

Image12122011220824.jpg

Overall it still seems solid after 29 years or so. The media is difficult to tear apart, and the rubber pieces are still soft and pliable. I installed one of them on the Buick back in March and the car hasn't seemed to notice. I just thought the pictures would be interesting to someone here.

Very interesting, in fact. Looks like they went the sealed pleat/no endcap design and it seems longer than current PF47's.

Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Was the filter or box marked with the country of origin? I remember buy AC Delco filter up until the late 1990's that were made in England and were built like a brick outhouse. I missed them.

This one is indeed made in England. I also have a US made AC filter in the stash from the mid 80s or so. That one has much larger oil inlet holes, I can probably post a pic of that one too.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Suprised at the low number of inlet holes, but it looks like a solid filter for sure.

The combined area of the 6 inlet holes in the base is probably the same or more than the area of the hole in the base fitting on the engine.

Here's the American made version:

121029_0001.jpg

121029_0004_edited.jpg

And here's the back of the box, listing which engines this filter is intended for:

121029_0003_edited.jpg

Ah, the good old days. Too many cost reduction "initiatives" between then and now for my taste.

Why have there been so many product cheapenings and outsourcing to low wage countries while the products we buy seem flimsier by the year AND more expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back