Best oil filter for Saturn SL2

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best oil filter for a Saturn SL2 with the double overhead cam engine? The oil filters that the dealerships sell are made by FRAM. I have not had good experiences with these filters-especially on a cold morning you can hear engine noise. Oil filters made by other companies sound much better on a cold morning. I have been trying to find the best oil filter for the best price.

Saturn dealerships sell Fram oil filters?
shocked.gif
I'd never have thought of that. Look up the correct size/part number in any of these: Wix, Hastings, Baldwin, AC-Delco, Bosch Premium, Purolator Pure One, or maybe even a WM SuperTech. I can't guarantee that these brands are "the best", but any of them should be much better than a Fram.

I like Purolator for cost/benefit - for the Saturn the number is L10241 for the PremiumPLUS, and PL10241 for the PureOne. I normally use the PureOne, except I use the cheaper one while running AutoRX, to reduce the chance of clogging because I run a 1000 mile interval.
My choice of the PureOne is based on the filtering efficiency and construction and materials quality - almost nothing is better, and you have to pay twice as much to get anything even a little better. I'd rather spend the money on the oil. Plus, if I'm going for a more aggressive filter, I like to upsize the filter itself to reduce backpressure and increase dirt trapping capacity. But in the Saturn there's no space for a bigger filter, so I stick with the stock size.

I've been using the ACDelco PF53 in my saturn for the last couple changes. However, I suspect the anti-drainback valve doesn't work as well as the PureONE because if the car sits for a while without running(more than 5 or 6 hours) the car starts funny like the first time after an oil change when there's no oil in the filter. But if I start the car and run it for like 5 minutes then go out an hour later to use it it starts normally. It never did that with the PureONE filters I was initially using. Heh, I just put 2 and 2 together on that. I better switch to a different filter next time. I hear bosch and mobil1 filters are very good.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back