Best oil filter for extended drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I'm not understanding why PureONE filters are being recommended in the same sentence with filters that are designed specifically for long OCIs like the Mobil M1, Bosch Distance Plus, Fram Xtended Guard, and Royal Purple. PureONEs are designed to be a high-end filter for normal OCIs. Sure, you can leave it on there as long as you want (or dare), it's your car, but it's not intended for the same service intervals as the Purolator-made Distance Plus, for example.
Purolator does not sell a Purolator-branded filter designed for long service intervals, regardless of how some people use them.

Would u say that all oil filters are designed to meet OEM specs?
if u agree, then oil filters are designed for at least 15k. Reason, my dodge dakota service manual requires oil changes at 7.5k and oil filter changes every other oil change. that means oil filter changes every 15k. it does not specify what filter to use, of course the dealer would use mopar filters. Who makes mopar filters?, think orange painted black.
All of your statements are incorrect and based on the marketing hype of the filter makers.

Any filter is pretty much good UP TO 15k where specified by the OEM and (typically) mileage is used instead of time (in a whichever comes first deal).

Purolator makes the aftermarket MOPAR filters. Fram was just a Fram and was the aftermarket filter referenced by MOPAR (by name).

All filters meet or exceed OEM spec's ...at least so far. There was one Cummins issue with Frams, iirc. I'm sure it's over with now.

But that all said,

Quote:
'm not understanding why PureONE filters are being recommended in the same sentence with filters that are designed specifically for long OCIs like the Mobil M1, Bosch Distance Plus, Fram Xtended Guard, and Royal Purple. PureONEs are designed to be a high-end filter for normal OCIs. Sure, you can leave it on there as long as you want (or dare), it's your car, but it's not intended for the same service intervals as the Purolator-made Distance Plus, for example.
Purolator does not sell a Purolator-branded filter designed for long service intervals, regardless of how some people use them.

What makes the existence of the M1 or D+ degrade the PureOne? If I come up with a Gary's D+++ will it be a risk to use the lesser offerings?

The PureOne is a fine filter. It has a pretty good bang for the buck. I'll give it a bump for very wide spread availability and (usually) a good enough price advantage over a WIX to make it a go. I'd say that it's a waste if you don't do enough mileage to make it pay over a Classic or (insert any basic filter here). The stuff that they let through isn't a problem if you're either dumping the sump often enough, or filling most of your driving with low loading miles.

It's an insoluble collector that also provides a catch basin for the stray chunk that may get spit out from time to time.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Amsoil EAO!

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back