Best new 12v battery for J.D. D130 ? Original battery GY20982 ( CCA : 195 ) is 6 years old and getting weak starts

I went to AGM batteries after when the OE one failed on me after 5 years. 1999 John Deere F510 and the first AGM was an Odyssey PC625 or so. It lasted 15 years and I just replaced it a couple years ago with one from eBay and local (Joliet IL) Power Star also called a PC 625 and half the price of an Odyssey at $70 in 2018.

Saturday morning I started my D140 [same engine as the OP] with a going on two-year old 230 CCA battery having a date code of 03/19. Overnight temperature had dropped to 28F, and I imagine that the battery wasn't much warmer than that when I started the mower. In any event, the first half second of cranking sounded weak, but then she fired right up. She hadn't been driven in two weeks either.

The original battery was only 195 CCA. It served me well for four years but gave up the ghost at the beginning of season five. I don't recall ever attempting to start the mower at such a low temperature, so the initial half second observation may be completely meaningless.

Thumbs up to you guys with the AGM batteries; that's the way to go if you can afford them and have a long term outlook.

Mine cranks slow when it gets cold, 3s of it comes out. To get all the old out I need to add another quart or so until I see clear oil drain out.

Thumbs up to you guys with the AGM batteries; that's the way to go if you can afford them and have a long term outlook.

heres to hoping! Mowing season seemed to stop early this year, so it’s gonna be a longer winter for the mower. Makes me think it wouldn’t hurt it to give it a quick top-off charge next weekend if I’m around...

Back