Best Napa oil filter for GM crate engine for max power/torque?

Ok so I have gone down a rabbit hole on GM crate 350 racing oil filters. I have crate in a dirt late model and have been running 51061R Wix racing filter with 20w-50. I'm looking for max hp and less of a restriction so would the gold or platinum be a better option? I see the 41068 has the synthetic material and the 1060/1061 has enhanced cellulose at 21 microns. Someone also said that 21060 which is 25 microns makes the most power. Anyone have insight here for a dirt late model as tying to get the most power? I know the 51061R is what most use but looking to gain what we can. Especially as they love thicker oil now. Thanks for the input!

I have not dyno tested them or done any testing. Was looking for some insight first. Like a 41068 should it be used due to filter material? Which one is lestt restricted is what I was after to even see if there is a difference.

I have not heard of a certain oil filter making more power. How often will you be changing the oil and oil filter?

I do oil and filter every 5-6 races 35 laps each night. Yeah I've heard some have tested. I'd assume less microns is less restricted.....just a guess tho.

Doubt an xg5 would fail you. And any excess pressure which could theoretically cause more restriction and thus reduce hp is gonna get bypassed or bleed out of the system. Why are you running 20w-50? That's the bigger hp thief.

What's your hot oil pressure at idle and by that i mean at least a half hour or more of driving. A euro or diesel 0/5w-30/40 grade oil would give you no issue even with a stock pump if you're keeping the revs on it. I run hdeo in my gm trucks. Ran that in my old 350 as well.

Why a XG5 over a napa? Yeah I can see too much pressure is a killer too. Had 10-30w but gm wanted 50w and with the 30w rolled over. They want thicker oil due to the lifters it seems.

Hot at idle after a race is 35-40 psi. I haven't thought of a diesel oil but def know the thicker oil made it better up top. Makes sense why GM wants it.

Why a XG5 over a napa? Yeah I can see too much pressure is a killer too. Had 10-30w but gm wanted 50w and with the 30w rolled over. They want thicker oil due to the lifters it seems.

Hot at idle after a race is 35-40 psi. I haven't thought of a diesel oil but def know the thicker oil made it better up top. Makes sense why GM wants it.
When you are racing, what rpms is the motor at? You have the crate engine for dirt track racing with a kicked out oil pan?

Night racing on Saturday nights. Yes gm crate with kicked out pan,100% stock and sealed. Engine rpm limit is 6200.

If you want more power you need to stop using 20w-50 oil
I ran 10w-30 and as stated above the engine rolled over up top even with new springs. Back to 20w-50 and engine was best its been and top 5 in hot laps. So hard to go thinner with newer crates as lifters don't like it. What is your suggestion?

I don't know what this term rolled over means
The engine was flat and no longer pulled down through back stretch. Power rolled over...hit a peak and power rolled down. Swapped oil and it was back to normal and fast again.

That engine is being run hard in that car ! I would guess the oil gets hot.

A few PSI difference in the delta-p across the oil filter isn't even going to be measurable on how it effects the change in engine HP output on a dyno ... in the accuracy noise level. Get an electric water pump instead if you don't have one.

Do a fluid HP calculation on what it would take to push X oil volume through an oiling system with 78 PSI instead of 75 PSI for example - assuming a 3 PSI delta between filter A and filter B on the engine. It's a very small HP difference ... in the noise.

What do you think the max GPM the oil pump is putting out near redline? You running an oil pressure and temperature gauge? Do you know what PSI your oil pump goes into pressure relief? Does it hit pressure relief near redline with the 20W-50?

Last edited:
I ran 10w-30 and as stated above the engine rolled over up top even with new springs. Back to 20w-50 and engine was best its been and top 5 in hot laps. So hard to go thinner with newer crates as lifters don't like it. What is your suggestion?

what about M1 0w40? :unsure:

Hold on, bud. You said the engine was rolling over at high rpm. On 10w30??? What oil Temps are you running??? Where are you sampling oil temps, what's the oil pressure???

If it's rolling over on 10w30, that can only mean that it's bleeding out of the lifters at high rpm. If 10w30 does that on a simple 350 with a 6200 rpm limit, that oil has to be running crazy high temperature.

Been a bit since trying to make power with a 350, but I'd watch out for number 7. If the oil is that thin to be bleeding down at high rpm, I'd be worried about oil pressure to number 7 rod as I believe it's the last to get pressure, it may be 8....been a bit. But watch out either don't exit stage left.

If you're looking for power, are you allowed to run electric vacuum pumps??? Major power could be had if you can run a vacuum pump and vary the vacuum pump speed dependant on rpm to get you the best result.

I've ran a Ford electric vacuum pump (out of a cobra I think) on a 2.3 road race car and we found as much as 30+ hp on the top end.

Back