Best mouse abatement for large building.

The prior owner of the building did not maintain mouse abatement protocol and as a result I noticed a lot of his vehicles had mouse damage. As of right now, I am unable to seal up the building as this will be an ongoing project slated for the next 2 years. So for this winter I need to find the best way to control the mice with the understanding the building will have plenty of gaps and spaces for them to enter.

Over the weekend I placed a whole bucket of those green poisen cubes. I would like some opinions on further steps. I will be storing some of my vehicles in this building as well as some friends vehicles.

Rodent bait is effective but make sure to keep bait stations filled as they can get emptied out surprisingly quickly.

I'm my experience, other "home remedies" like mothballs and dryer sheets don't work.

Some 5-gallon water bucket traps might be ideal in the kind of building your description suggests. You don't have to check and reset them every day, and trapping will avoid the problem of poisoned mice dying in the vehicles.

Amazon sells various kits, and Youtube has DIY videos.

Take out your wallet. Damage from mice is nasty and will cause a lot of $$$$ and grief.

My recommendation- buy cases of rat glue traps, and place a dollop of chunky peanut butter in the middle of the rat glue trap.

On the outside, which must be done- place 50 plus small enclosed mouse bait stations.

I am not a fan of using poison indoors, the mouse die in unreachable places and will smell for a year long time, and good the bathroom while they are dying. The rat glue traps will catch multiple mice, and will be a way to access the situation on a daily basis.

With an unsealed building, this is a big undertaking. You have to go all the way to stop the mice. Not just inside, you must go outside and go on the offensive....

Peppermint oil seems to work. Not sure it will stay entire storage cycle.

I use that in certain areas and others just use bucket trap(peanut butter above water line with wood ramp up bucket.

I have a $25 Wyze Wi-Fi camera plugged in attic to keep tabs on mouse captures .

Some 5-gallon water bucket traps might be ideal in the kind of building your description suggests. You don't have to check and reset them every day, and trapping will avoid the problem of poisoned mice dying in the vehicles.

(y) (y) Amazon links for purchase are in the YouTube descriptions.

Wild deer mice(hoarders) in autumn will move into a building and collect and stash the poison in piles. Be wary of kids and pets getting into it (had experience with this). Poisoned mice will die inside the walls and HVAC ducts, creating a horrible stench.

Remove any food sources. Trap, trap, trap........and then trap more. Mice can get through holes about the size of a dime (look it up) - very tough to seal up a building 100%.

Good luck!!!!!

Look into electronic devices.
I have one that has worked better than anything and I went back to buy more, and they were discontinued.
I have had it for 8 years and it simply plugs into your wall outlet.
It's for all insects-mice-squirrels etc.
I have a large barn with a kiln, and I don't want any mice around and it is just off a big creek.

When I travel and rent a house in Florida, I bring it with me.
I never get anything in my lumber barn until I go away, and I unplug it and when I return, I have mice in my traps.
It happens every time.

However, don't buy big in any brand as many are junk. Try a few and go from there. If you need some help on ones I know are
junk, feel free to PM me. If you lived close, I'd lend you mine and watch it clean out the building.
I have not been able to find the one I mentioned. I assume they went out of business. Don't know.

The prior owner of the building did not maintain mouse abatement protocol and as a result I noticed a lot of his vehicles had mouse damage. As of right now, I am unable to seal up the building as this will be an ongoing project slated for the next 2 years. So for this winter I need to find the best way to control the mice with the understanding the building will have plenty of gaps and spaces for them to enter.

Over the weekend I placed a whole bucket of those green poisen cubes. I would like some opinions on further steps. I will be storing some of my vehicles in this building as well as some friends vehicles.
plank of wood, a wooden dowel, 5 gallon bucket, peanut butter, 3 gallons of water.

Get a few ball bearing mouse traps.

1695056316775.jpg

Ive never found one that really works as described. One or two mice here or there perhaps.

Ive had the best luck with the black plastic snap type mouse traps. They look like the standard wood ones with the L shaped bar that comes down on the mouse, but for whatever reason they work better.

Get 11" conveyor roller (13" with the pins), drill 1/4" holes and insert it across a 5 gallon bucket. Spread peanut butter on it and fill the bucket with water.

Back