Best MOLY additives?

Just looking for additives, I already have oil. Various companies, weights, etc.

I'm neither asking nor soliciting a debate on the merits, nor slander to any company or lubricant. I'm seeking objective information on any oil additives that have a healthy dose of moly. I've acquired a large stash of oils, all with seemingly excellent VOAs, but looking at the VOAs for some of them they are light in the moly category and I'd like to add a shot of moly to the OCI. The oils I have seem to have between 50ppm to 100ppm. I see that premium oils like Redline, Amsoil, PUP, have 200-300+ ppm.

If you have seen or had success with a moly additive please post up. If you just have a snarky comment, please keep it to yourself and move along.

Last edited:
Pass on MoS2 and consider Tungsten/Wolfram. Eurol Engine treat contains a healthy dose of Vanderbilt Vanlube W-324. 'W' stands for Wolfram (Tungsten). Much better thermal stability compared to MoS2, no solids, no risk to fall out of suspension. Vanderbilt Vanlube W-324 is what Ravenol is using in there higher-end engine oils.

And as should be noted in these numerous and repetitive “what’s the best” questions, no UOA can discriminate in any way which one is better. If you’re trying to use the UOA for that purpose you’re better off just skipping it and saving your money. Your imagination as to whether it is better or worse is just as valid as the UOA.

For MoS2

For MoDTC
It was thought that Lubegard Biotech had it. Though I can't find specific reference for why that was.

And as should be noted in these numerous and repetitive “what’s the best” questions, no UOA can discriminate in any way which one is better. If you’re trying to use the UOA for that purpose you’re better off just skipping it and saving your money. Your imagination as to whether it is better or worse is just as valid as the UOA.

I fully agree on that. I don't recommend using additives, I just wanted to provide
a suggestion for an - I believe - "superior" alternative to using MoS2. At least W-324
is more modern, probably more advanced compared to MoS2. It's one of Vanderbilt's
latest developements and used in some GM/VW/BMW/Porsche/MB approved PCMOs.

Indeed, the reason Mobil doesn't sell "Mobil 1 oil saver" is because the product is already blended optimally. Ravenol doesn't use moly because they use tungsten instead. Other blenders use titanium.

With some of these products it's a lot like buying an AI, CADEX or McMillan precision rifle and then buying a "cryo treated" barrel from the guy that runs the local junkyard because he's advertising "it's got EVEN MORE STEEL!" and of course more must be better. And cryo treated? Jesus on a napkin, give me 20!

More importantly is the additive "package" and not about one ingredient.

Indeed. Maybe Lubrizol should start producing additive packages not based on performance, but on component quantity.

You could have:
Low moly "super wimp" formula for those "girly oils"
Medium moly "regular" formula for those that are thrifty
High moly "super" formula for those that just need MORE
and EXTRA BIG ASS MOLY! for those that need MOOOOOOORE! It's the MOLY MULTILATOR! It'll put moly in your neighbour's engine!

Indeed. Maybe Lubrizol should start producing additive packages not based on performance, but on component quantity.

You could have:
Low moly "super wimp" formula for those "girly oils"
Medium moly "regular" formula for those that are thrifty
High moly "super" formula for those that just need MORE
and EXTRA BIG ASS MOLY! for those that need MOOOOOOORE! It's the MOLY MULTILATOR! It'll put moly in your neighbour's engine!
And don't forget those that also might have a stout dose of boron. The crowd would go wild!

Here is some information.
Regarding fully formulated oils with higher Moly I've found that generally QS Synthetic and RGT are 150-200ppm Moly.
I'm not sure if RGT is available readily anymore.
And i'm not sure if QS SP still has higher moly...i'd like to know the answer to this.

I love the comments on here...Moly has been one of the greatest antiwear additives EVER.
And now it aint $%*# anymore. lol give me a break.

Here was VOA of Biotech

And VOA of a different Lubegard product:

Back