Best MB 229.51.

Hi.
As an aside to my earlier question, is there any advantage to opting for a 5w-40 oil rather then a 5w-30? Will the 40 weight offer better wear protection?

I'd stay with MB229.51 and 5W-30, preferably M1 ESP. 5W-40 doesn't necessarily provide better protection, however higher KV100 and higher HTHS likely lead to thicker MOFT. No DPF means less stress to both engine and oil.

i think the motul 8100 x clean 5-40 has the best approvals. mb 229.51 ,bmw ll04, porsche A40.as the tech sheet says..

''The ACEA C3 standard requests from the lubricant significant oil film resistance and low emission performance for powerful engines: MOTUL 8100 X-clean 5W-40 has synthetic base stocks and dedicated SAPS levels that generates outstanding oil film resistance, reduces friction in the engine and provides after treatment devices compatibility. MOTUL 8100 X-clean 5W-40 brings high lubricating properties such as wear protection and high temperature resistance for better controlled oil consumption. ACEA C3 lubricants achieve extended drain intervals managed by vehicles on-board computer.''

for bmw like mine this is the oil from motul that is close to motul specific 5-40 from specs side of things. motul suggests a 40 for the bmws i guess.

''The MB 229.51 requires among many other severe constrains from the lubricant ''

''The PORSCHE A40 standard requires extreme high shear resistance from the lubricant.''

i amnot so usre about the bold . i mean, they are all called synthetic after the castrol winning trial against mobil..even the group 3 ones.so ita might be group 3 with some esters or polymers as they claim.i don't care about that anymore since they all prety much have the same base stock,group 3 oils..its the additives that matters ,the recipe and the quality of the base oil.

i am also betwwen 5-30 and 5-40.opinions about that are split.some say that 40s are bettter option for start-stops.i do a lot too.because the oil its thicker and when the engine sotps ,the oil stays in the ''pipes'' and protects the engine when the soon next start is close to happen,so the engine is not unprotected..thats not fully happens with 30s because they are too thin and go back and don't stay in the pipes..i wonder if there is truth in that.

sorry for my english tech terms, i hope you can understand me.

If HTHS rules, Ravenol VMP 5W-30 and REP 5W-30 are both HTHS of 3.7 mPas.

VMP: MB-Freigabe 229.51; Porsche C30; VW 504 00; VW 507 00 ; BMW Longlife-04

REP: MB 229.51; MB 229.52; MB 226.5; Renault RN0700; Renault RN0710; GM dexos2™; BMW Longlife-04

M1 ESP 5W-30 will do a great job though. The "best MB 229.51"? If there's any it's Ravenol REP 5W-30, to me at least.

England isn't really what I'd call an extreme-climate zone. Not need for a 5W-40.

Last edited:
the redline professional 5w-30TD has an HTHS of 3.6 aswell

I believe it's available with another branding
It is Phillips 66. It is a ok. Other performance aspects are so so. Typical GrIII oil. For that money many other oils with better properties.

Hi edyvw.
Thank you for the recommendations. Both are readily available.

Do you think i should still stay with MB229.51/52 even though i have no DFP?

Thank you.
I had a 642 with the DPF and used SK/E9 diesel oil and that’s what I would recommend. I used 5-40. That’s the best way to protect your engine. Also, stop and go is very hard on these engines. You should change the oil more often. Engine never gets really hot.

It is Phillips 66. It is a ok. Other performance aspects are so so. Typical GrIII oil. For that money many other oils with better properties.

I know, but the point is that most xw-30 C3 or A3/B4 don't have a declared HTHS and it is assumed it's barely 3.5. There doesn't seem to be much difference between the thickest xw-30 and the thinnest xw-40 however.

So how does the Mobil One ESP rate? Mobil One ESP has the ACEA “C2 and C3” approval. The ACEA approves Mobil One ESP for light duty non-turbocharged diesels. In other words, it is NOT approved for a Turbocharged BlueTec diesel. The API gives Mobil One ESP the “SN” approval. “SN” is the approval for gas engines. Wait a second… I though this was a Diesel engine? This can’t be true. This is Mercedes-Benz and Mobil One we’re talking about. They don’t make mistakes like this. You’re right, it’s not a mistake. If you look at a bottle of Mobil One ESP or the Mercedes-Benz branded 5W/30 oil, you will NOT find the ACEA or API approval on the label. The disclaimer says one of these approvals must be on the container. Where is it? In plain English, the oil in the bottle is not for a BlueTec diesel. This oil does not meet Mercedes own standards.

And you believe that? Even though the engine calls for MB 229.51 and the oil has an MB 229.51 approval it "isn't approved" or even appropriate? Perhaps I just got it wrong.

And you believe that? Even though the engine calls for MB 229.51 and the oil has an MB 229.51 approval it "isn't approved" or even appropriate? Perhaps I just got it wrong.
Yes. I believe a guy who has worked on MB's for 30 yrs and has seen 100's of OM642 engines and their problems. Mercedes only cares about getting the DPF to last past the warranty. If you are concerned about engines longevity, I would use a diesel.oil. Out of warranty of course. Modern diesel oils have 1% Saps vs .8% for the .51/52 oils. These days there are plenty of places that will clean your DPF if it clogs. Mercedes has even come out with a kit for use in shops.

I know, but the point is that most xw-30 C3 or A3/B4 don't have a declared HTHS and it is assumed it's barely 3.5. There doesn't seem to be much difference between the thickest xw-30 and the thinnest xw-40 however.
It is in 3.5-.3.6 range with few non
Correction: per Stephens Service Center Website.....not Mercedes-Benz

The best MB 229.51 oil without exhaust treatment concerns, is a MB 229.5 oil
Based on?

Yes. I believe a guy who has worked on MB's for 30 yrs and has seen 100's of OM642 engines and their problems. Mercedes only cares about getting the DPF to last past the warranty. If you are concerned about engines longevity, I would use a diesel.oil. Out of warranty of course. Modern diesel oils have 1% Saps vs .8% for the .51/52 oils. These days there are plenty of places that will clean your DPF if it clogs. Mercedes has even come out with a kit for use in shops.
Is he engineer in Mercedes? Not to mention that using low-SAPS oils is not only about DPF. But, if that guy says it, it must be true.

Back