Best lab for checking exhaust gases in coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any recommendations for a Lab to send in a coolant sample so I can diagnose an over heating problem on my Civic. I would prefer something beyond Yes exhaust gases are present in the coolant but we can't tell you exactly how much. I would prefer a result that would tell me "Yes you definitely have a leaky head gasket since the concentrations are rather high and not deemed to be a slight trace of exhaust gases blowing though the coolant.

Any input greatly appreciated,

Glen

ufo.gif

coffee.gif

Bump
Any recomendations?

I don't know of any such service.

Using the so called "Block Check" sometimes is not conclusive, especially if the damage is light. "Block Check" uses a chemical that changes from blue to green in the presence of exhaust gas. You load it into an aspirating device that sucks air from the cooling system from the cap opening. Don't allow liquid coolant into the chemical, just fumes. A similar test can be done using an emissions sniffer. Real bad ones will show a huge increase in HC. Be careful not to suck coolant into the sniffer though.

Sometimes there is no other way than to pull the heads for inspection so try to eliminate all other possibilities as well as you can first.

Based on my experience owning several Hondas, I would follow this rule-of-thumb: If the Honda has over 100,000 kms and its cooling system is doing weird things (bubbling in the reservoir, gurgling heater noises, etc.) it's a pretty safe bet the head gasket is leaking exhaust gases into the coolant. Honda head gaskets tend to fail gradually over several years, rather than all at once in a plume of white smoke like certain other (GM, Ford, Chrysler) makes do.

The Block Chek is an old and relatively poor example of a combustion tester. For greater accuracy use a dual chamber model like the Uview 560000. Just FYI, the chemical used in all these things is bromothymol blue, a short range PH indicator that tests for carbonic acid caused by CO2 in the coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back