Best Grease Gun

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
I have a Performance Tool pistol grip grease gun from O'Reilly that I bought as a get by. It's working well enough that I'm still using it. I replaced the coupler with a Lock n Load from TSC and then a Lincoln needle nozzle. I think the parts upgrades help.

I tried three performance tool ones and they all sucked and I returned it and spent the extra to get the flexzilla. Loooooove it! Don't know how you can tolerate the performance tool crap.

As I said, mine does a good job. If it hadn't, I would have returned it.

You got lucky
smile.gif
quite a few customers return them.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I have an Alemite 555-E Pistol Grip thats at least 15 years old. Probably 200 sticks have went thru it.

I have had Dewalt Cordless, Lincoln Cordless, Lincoln Air Powered and a couple of Lincoln Lever guns thru my garages and heavy truck garage.. none have survived.

I am spoiled to the pistol grip now.

This is the one I have. It's only a few years old but works great. Works better than any other grease gun I've ever owned. I bought mine from LockNLube.

Here's my dealeo. It's 2020 and there is no such thing as a grease gun that don't leak all over. I've told all my friends that if they want to be the next millionaire just invent the first leak proof grease gun. Should be a real easy task of making a seal assembly on the plunger but nobody is doing it.

S
Originally Posted by P10crew
Here's my dealeo. It's 2020 and there is no such thing as a grease gun that don't leak all over. I've told all my friends that if they want to be the next millionaire just invent the first leak proof grease gun. Should be a real easy task of making a seal assembly on the plunger but nobody is doing it.

Someone has. The Lube Shuttle by Airtec. I has a proprietary screw in plastic tube, with a sealed rear plunger. I works by suction alone. No rods, no springs, and apparently no leaks. The disadvantage, well they are proprietary tubes. So the grease options are limited at the moment. There is a grease pump adapter available as well as empty tubes you can refill yourself, if you already have one of those hand pumps and a 5 gallon pail or grease.

Originally Posted by mangler
S

Someone has. The Lube Shuttle by Airtec. I has a proprietary screw in plastic tube, with a sealed rear plunger. I works by suction alone. No rods, no springs, and apparently no leaks. The disadvantage, well they are proprietary tubes. So the grease options are limited at the moment. There is a grease pump adapter available as well as empty tubes you can refill yourself, if you already have one of those hand pumps and a 5 gallon pail or grease.

Well well that is the first attempt I've ever seen.
Currently unavailable on amazon

Originally Posted by PontiacHO
Dave9 must know something the rest of us don't.
Please provide your solution.
The group here needs to know where we all went wrong.
Comments?

Time flies. It's possible that since mine has worked well for so long, that I have no idea how crappy the imports are now, and it is also possible, that I'm thinking in terms of the value of a dollar decades ago so yeah, I'm probably wrong and my cheap grease gun is now equivalent to someone else's midrange grease gun. Then again I bought it locally so I could inspect what I was getting before purchase. That probably has more to do with it than anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PontiacHO
Dave9 must know something the rest of us don't.
Please provide your solution.
The group here needs to know where we all went wrong.
Comments?

I don't presume to speak for Dave but I will tell you where a lot of people "go wrong".

The basis for my answer is that back in the day when I was but a millwright for an MRO company, I and a few others were trained and certified as warranty field engineers regionally in the service dept. for both Lincoln and Stewart Warner/Alemite for all of their products. We had to solve problems with grease guns, air motors, single point lubricators and everything else in the product line. ( to date this- I was there before battery tools were even thought about and the first air powered ones were introduced). "Bad" grease guns was probably the single most common.

Just like you have to have a follower in the drum with an air motor with shovel foot- you have to almost have like one of those old Playtex bags for the baby bottle.

If a grease gun catches an air bubble anywhere- it will cease to function and you have to physically "burp" it ( it will not work itself out)

Common causes are the cartridge itself- it caught air or the plunger captures a bubble. Then cheaper ones have weaker springs and don't end seal like they need to.

The plunger doesn't seal properly thus catching air- just like an air embolism, it travels up the tube till it hits the plunger.

short or fast stroking the gun is guaranteed to do it eventually.

Battery guns seem to be better because they are consistent.

Now when I set up lube rooms or conduct ML-1,2 and other lube training, I recommend where practical to remove the purge plug ( on units that have them) and charge the gun from a bulk drum through an air motor pump and go through the failure points on manual ones where it can catch air.

Obviously there are mechanically defective guns out there but most pumping issues on grease guns result from the above reasons and are easily remedied and avoided.

Tom does it seal though?

I hate leaky grease guns, After reading this post....I ordered 2 of the Lock & Lube LNL162. They fit very well! You have to release the air as you slid them on, I don't see how the gun can leak while storing/using them. Now it will probably be a mess when you remove the boot for a cartridge change!
It also comes with a boot for the Coupler.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Price aside, which one would you choose and why?

Alemite 555-E Pistol Grip Grease Gun -

Alemite 500-E Grease Gun -https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B009K52YIC

Price aside, which one would you choose and why?

Alemite 555-E Pistol Grip Grease Gun -

Alemite 500-E Grease Gun -https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B009K52YIC
Country of origin?

Lincoln 1147 have always been a 100% lever grease guns. We used to use the Lincoln PowerLuber 14.4v cordless grease guns years ago and they worked well, but the batteries didn't last long term for us. I have a Dewalt 18v gun now that I use 20v batteries with the 20v to 18v adapter and it works very well. The only complaint I have on the Dewalt is that its very heavy. I will be purchasing a 18v Milwaukee soon and possibly the 12v later to try.

Reactions: MM8
Any input on this one?

Back