Best Grease for Tie-rod End

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a search here and could not find the answer. I assume this is not a critical application compared to ball joints so maybe any multi-purpose lube would be ok? Thanks.

I think pointing your wheels in the same direction is pretty critical.

I don't see keeping "cheap grease" around in one gun and "good stuff" for ball joints in another.

Even if sway bar end links are decided to be "not critical" they're usually pretty cheezy and could use good grease most of all.

You want high moly or other anti wear agent grease for sliding/binding stuff, not wheel bearing grease for rolling stuff.

Mopar Multi Mileage.Its been around since the 60s.Long strand Barium complex.

Some grease have a dedicated purpose, keep that in mind. A good quality grease will resist water wash out and chassis grease should have a GC/LB rating. I prefer a tacky grease because it stays in there longer. Some grease has moly added for a better EP rating to resist wear.

Bargain grease is just that and not the best choice if you are concerned about wear. Synthetic grease is what I have used the past ten years and it does a good job for the difference in price.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/grease-gear-oil/grease/

Originally Posted By: NHGUY

This. Or an longfibre grease for excavators ( wich Mopar Multi Mileage basically is.)

Use a grease that is GC-LB rated. I prefer a GC-LB grease with added moly.

Just remember that some types of grease are incompatible with others. Whatever type you use now, remember to use that type any time you re-grease the joint.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY

This sounds like a really good grease. How does it rank compared to other brands ?

B

Thanks for all of the responses. Moog says to use a premium quality lithium or synthetic grease. I called and asked them about moly. They said it would be ok but it really does not matter what grease you use as long as you grease it on a regular basis.

Sounds like they already got it covered. Any decent NLGI 2 CG-LB rated grease. Lithium vs synthetic isn't really a valid comparison as lithium is the thickener type and synthetic refers to the base oil.

I am using Valvoline Synpower but after more researching I'm pretty sure you can get better for cheaper. I still like it and believe its a great grease, just maybe a little pricey for what you get.

The Rat gets Ford spec black grease, BMWs aren't grease-able. Except , I've used the Ford grease to re load the center drive shaft bearing. and the recycled tie rods on the last BMW. I drilled the crowns on the TREs and used a needle to get the grease into them. I sealed the holes with a smear of RTV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back