Best grease for caliper slide pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gomes512
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: gomes512
Plumber's faucet stem lube.

Essentially your basic water proof silicon grease. $2 for a large tin. Resists high temps. and stays were you put it.

Stuff lasts until the pad material is completely gone

Is this what you use on your own vehicles?

Yes all four, two GM's, two Mopars.

3 of the 4 are over 140K and one is at 40K. Never had a stuck caliper pin or bulging slide pin boot.

That's quite interesting especially for the price($2.00). I like saving money too! I'm paying $13/Green & $14/Black for the Permatex Lube. I don't think that I'm going to run right out and buy some plumbers faucet stem lube as I already have both Green/Black lube already and both are already open jars/bottles. But, I will certainly consider it(seeking more info first) when I use up my current lubes.

Gomes512, you mention that the faucet lube takes the heat well but, how about sub zero temps after a vehilce has been sitting all night and just starting out in the morning before the brakes have a chance to warm up and get hot? Any stickyness or binding in the brakes while still cold?

Last edited:
Using Versachem Synthetic caliper grease here and havent had any problems. Ive used it on my cavalier since 2007 and I do alot of stop and go Ive never had a pin seize up. It doesnt snow where I live but it gets pretty hot 100+ degrees 90% humidity.

Can someone define a proper cleaning of the caliper slide pin/ cavity? I usually just spray brake parts cleaner in the cavity and drain/wipe out. I then relube with everything brake part lube. TThoughts?

Originally Posted By: FordSVTGuy
Can someone define a proper cleaning of the caliper slide pin/ cavity? I usually just spray brake parts cleaner in the cavity and drain/wipe out. I then relube with everything brake part lube. TThoughts?

That is a very good question. Your procedure is the same as mine, just spray the cleaner in there really good to get all the old grease out. I'm always scared that I'm leaving some cleaner in there though and I'm going to break down the new grease!

I would love to know the "proper" way to do it, not just what my dad showed me
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back