best gear oil/ ATF pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

I used to own one of these things 5 years ago and did my gear oil and ATF fluids on them. It wasn't the best but it worked because of the cramped area, i could get the bottle in at a good angle. I normally warmed up the fluid a little bit to help it flow better.

Today, I was started to do my rear diff and well that pump turned into junk! Did move anything. Luckily, i just connected both hoses and hooked it up the my trunk and let gravity do its thing. I still need to do my transfer case and front diff, i need something easier and less messy.

Ive seen the ones that look like soap dispensers, are they any good?

I use the cheap one from HF. Doesn't have all those connections and fittings. Just a pump for gear oil and a little silicone hose I got from work.

I just took a piece of clear vinyl tubing and attached it to the top of a pointed cone type lid that you cut open on a standard gear oil bottle and once it was on there I zip-tied it in place. Now I just screw this onto the container of fluid and squeeze the bottle. It runs up the tub and into the Diff/Transfer case. The excess falls back into the bottle when it's full. No mess and it was free given the crap I had lying around.

Shown in the 2nd one at the bottom of this picture.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bowlofturtle

Today, I was started to do my rear diff and well that pump turned into junk! Did move anything. Luckily, i just connected both hoses and hooked it up the my trunk and let gravity do its thing. I still need to do my transfer case and front diff, i need something easier and less messy.

Did you pump some soapy water through it after each use and then clear rinse water? If not, the oil over time will eat the seals. The "hand lotion" pumps are much worse - they move so little that it feels futile.

I'd get another one of those for $5 from HF and then just maintain it. They are $9 every day, 20% off coupon allways, and frequently on sale for $5.

Made my own from a Sta-lube gallon container of GL-5 gear lube and Sta-lube gear oil pump which fits the gallon container. Removed the hose and replaced it with about 4-5' of similar hose from Amazon. Put clamps on the hose ends and a Lisle hose shut off clamp to stop the dripping. Allows me to keep pump away from car instead of underneath it. Works like a charm. I add more gear lube to the container as needed.

Sam

Originally Posted by StevieC
I just took a piece of clear vinyl tubing and attached it to the top of a pointed cone type lid that you cut open on a standard gear oil bottle and once it was on there I zip-tied it in place. Now I just screw this onto the container of fluid and squeeze the bottle. It runs up the tub and into the Diff/Transfer case. The excess falls back into the bottle when it's full. No mess and it was free given the crap I had lying around.

Shown in the 2nd one at the bottom of this picture.

[Linked Image]

I used a method to the lower picture and will continue for future diff changes. However, instead of the short hose attached to the cap of the GM bottle, I bought 3 ft of 3/8 ID hose (2 ft would have been enough) from the local hardware store and forced it onto the cap of the Valvoline gear lube bottle. Just insert the tip into the diff, tilt the bottle, and squeeze until it is empty - about 1 min per quart. Of course, I was paranoid that the hose would slip off, so I added a clamp the first time I did this. The second time I did not use a clamp and it held just fine.

Last edited:
I typically just use some vinyl tubing on the gear oil bottle nipple, also. Recently got a pump like the pictured HF unit but from menards to do my tranny woth. It worked great.

Originally Posted by buck91
Recently got a pump like the pictured HF unit but from menards to do my tranny woth. It worked great.

Same. The nice thing about the HF unit is that it is $5 with the coupon. Given this price there is no need to clean it after use; just chuck it and buy a new one next time.

Originally Posted by Oro_O

Did you pump some soapy water through it after each use and then clear rinse water? If not, the oil over time will eat the seals. The "hand lotion" pumps are much worse - they move so little that it feels futile.

I'd get another one of those for $5 from HF and then just maintain it. They are $9 every day, 20% off coupon allways, and frequently on sale for $5.

Did not think to clean, honestly i did gear oil first and cleaned it out and put ATF thru it for my T-case. So it was stored with ATF. I'll grab the $5 ones if i see the coupon.

Seems like the clear tube makes the most sense. Go figure its about $5 as well.

Seems like the clear tube makes the most sense. Go figure its about $5 as well.

10 ft of the hose is about $5 at Lowes. Just cut what you need and save the rest for the next 4 times. Or buy it by the foot at local hardware store if you only want a short piece (about $.50/ft).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back