Best First Motorcycle: How Much Is Too Much Bike??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 6'2", 180 lbs. I have some time on a CBR250 and Ninja 300. I liked the CBR250 better. The Ninja might make a few more HP, but the CBR actually makes a ft-lb or two more due to it being a longer stroke single vs a twin cylinder. It was easier to ride in traffic and modulate the clutch than the Ninja. I expect the next CBR300 to be even more betterer.
smile.gif

I have ridden a CB500X and a NC700X, and ended up buying the NC700X. It is my daily commuter, averaged 63 mpg, and is the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.

For your First bike That pretty much depends on you and your right hand ! If you can NOT ride over your head you will be good buying the bigger bike . I don't know you so I can't say whats best for you .

I have found that if the power is there I'm gonna use it .

I have never had a "sport" bike because I know what I will do and I'm not real crazy about the ride position. Even the goldwing I had short term was put thru it's paces on the Dragon so it really is a go with your gut kinda thing !

Also a bike is like a lady you will have a few before you find the keeper !

Good Luck

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sonataman

Lifetime average since owning it is 73+mpg.

awesome!
makes a prius look like a gas guzzler lol

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: grampi
Talking about 250s and 500s seems funny when you ride an 1800...but I guess a guy's gotta start somewhere...

What's the point of posting this? You ride a VTX1800 correct? Lots of bikes with far less displacement, and far less weight, put more horsepower to the ground.

The VTX1800 puts down approx. 90 rwhp. The old GSX-R 750 that was mentioned earlier in this thread, puts down approx. 20 more rwhp, and weighs far less.

Displacement doesn't tell the whole story.

I was posting more about the size of the bikes rather than the power...and I don't have a VTX, I have an M109R, and it has a bit more power than the VTX...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunruh
yes my 250cc puts out a dyno measured 42hp.
that 1800 is a wimp.

Yeah, but my 1800 makes 100 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheel...what does a 250 make, maybe 20?

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of a time in my 10 years of riding when I needed more power to "get out of trouble" than my GS500 has (40 hp). Nope can't think of one
grin.gif
FWIW I'm 6'3" ~185 lb and the GS500 is a good fit.

I'm firmly in the "start small" camp, both in terms of size & weight and power. Being a good motorcyclist has much more to do with what's going on between your ears than how skilled you are in the actual operation of the bike. A light, modestly powered bike will do what you need a first bike to do - help you learn to ride and learn whether or not you actually want to be a motorcyclist. If you like riding and are good at it you've got your whole life ahead of you to spend more money on bigger and faster bikes.

jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greenjp
I'm trying to think of a time in my 10 years of riding when I needed more power to "get out of trouble" than my GS500 has (40 hp). Nope can't think of one
grin.gif

Same here. Even the slowest bike is still quicker than most family cars.

that 1800 is a wimp.

Yeah, but my 1800 makes 100 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheel...what does a 250 make, maybe 20?

28 actually, but cc vs cc your bike is a gutless wimp.

i have 1/7th the cc, but make 1/4th the torque and almost 1/2 the hp.

and my motor is not that impressive compared to say an 85cc yz/cr mx bike.

judging a bike by its motor is just like judging a book by its cover

that 1800 is a wimp.

28 actually, but cc vs cc your bike is a gutless wimp.

i have 1/7th the cc, but make 1/4th the torque and almost 1/2 the hp.

and my motor is not that impressive compared to say an 85cc yz/cr mx bike.

judging a bike by its motor is just like judging a book by its cover

Since when is motorcycling all about having the most HP per liter? Anyone knows that no big v-twin is going to be the HP champ in any comparison, they're all about lots of torque and running at very low RPMs while at highway speeds. BTW, how fast is your 250's engine turning at highway speeds? 6K? 7K? Mine turns 2800 at 60 MPH...in other words it's just loafing along, while your little 250 is screaming like a banshee at those speeds...

Are you guys finished waving your d er engines at each other?
grin.gif

My post wasn't meant to mock people who ride small bikes, but rather it was just comment as I've been riding big bikes for so long now I couldn't imagine riding something that small again...I guess some took it the wrong way...

You sure seem to stir the hornets nest whenever you start posting in a thread for some reason grampi.
smile.gif

My post wasn't meant to mock people who ride small bikes, but rather it was just comment as I've been riding big bikes for so long now I couldn't imagine riding something that small again...I guess some took it the wrong way...

That was how I interpreted your post. My apologies for incorrectly assuming your intent.

grin.gif
FWIW I'm 6'3" ~185 lb and the GS500 is a good fit.

I'm firmly in the "start small" camp, both in terms of size & weight and power. Being a good motorcyclist has much more to do with what's going on between your ears than how skilled you are in the actual operation of the bike. A light, modestly powered bike will do what you need a first bike to do - help you learn to ride and learn whether or not you actually want to be a motorcyclist. If you like riding and are good at it you've got your whole life ahead of you to spend more money on bigger and faster bikes.

jeff

In 30 years of riding on the road, I can clearly recall numerous times where having a surplus of power, and being aware of my surroundings, absolutely got me out of harms way.

I would also say that having excellent bike control skills, is just as important as having a good head on your shoulders. You can be brilliant, and have great self-control. But if you don't know how to control a bike properly under any circumstances you encounter, you're likely to get into trouble sooner or later.

Hi-I've been very happy with my Kawasaki EN500. Twin cylinder, 6sp, bullet proof, easy for beginner, can be fast, and with an airhawk cushion does well on long trips for me. And is cheap and available.
Good luck. Bill

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
You sure seem to stir the hornets nest whenever you start posting in a thread for some reason grampi.
smile.gif

To be fair, I do stir things up in here quite often, so I really can't blame people for thinking all of my posts are that way...

Originally Posted By: 02SE

That was how I interpreted your post. My apologies for incorrectly assuming your intent.

Not a problem!
smile.gif

I couldn't imagine riding something that small again...

Maybe you should try. It could be fun for a change.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I couldn't imagine riding something that small again...

Maybe you should try. It could be fun for a change.
smile.gif

My sister actually has a Yamaha 200, not quite sure what model it is, but it's one of those dual purpose bikes, and I rode that a couple years ago...it was fun, but so small!

I like big bikes too. I have been riding for 30+ years, and my first bike was a brand new 1981 Honda XL 250. I wish I would have bought the XL-500 about 6 months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back