Best engine ever made? And why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: morris
was there ANY engine that was NOT listed on this thread? iam so glad there are so many great engines. LOL

Vega 2.3;
Pontiac OHC 1.8 and 2.0L;
Honda Civic 1.3 (early 1980's);
Ford 3.8L V-6;

....just to name a few...

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: morris
was there ANY engine that was NOT listed on this thread? iam so glad there are so many great engines. LOL

Vega 2.3;
Pontiac OHC 1.8 and 2.0L;
Honda Civic 1.3 (early 1980's);
Ford 3.8L V-6;

....just to name a few...

Let me add a few others

CADILLAC HT4100
CHEVY 2.2L I-4 PRE ECOTEC
CADILLAC V8-6-4

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Rolls-Royce Merlin
It saved England in WW2.

True! Without it the Americans would not have been able to use landing strip England and the Germans would have taken Russia out after England fell.

Spitfire would have been no match for the ME109 or FW without the Merlin.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
I think a shorter list would be:

Best transmissions ever

The early Chrysler a604
wink.gif

chrysler used the 727 in drag race cars in the early 60 when NO one else could get other trans to hold up up in drag racing. AND the chrysler trans was faster than the same car with a stick shift. granted the 3 speed stick shift was not a great trans. but weight in 64 chrysler did come out with a realy good 4 speed.

Mercedes Benz M-119. 5 liter- 4 cam V8.

Hand assembled- in 500SLs, 500Es, and S500s. Same engine turbocharged in Sauber/Mercedes won Lemans 24 hour prototype class in 1989.

For me, it has to be the Skyactiv-G at this point. Great MPGs, power, torque and no fuel dilution in my application. Just a great engine.

How has no one mentioned the 7.3 powerstroke?

The Toyota 1.5l is UNKILLABLE.

I held that motor at redline for near entire tanks of fuel and it was just a testament to engineering.

Originally Posted By: sgvaibhav
the old civic engine.
dont know the engine name... but yeah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtKgOk-j3Zo

longest redline ever sustained
shocked.gif

Holy F! Wow! I think that is the reason why many Honda engines have been suggested in this thread!

I'm going to go with Honda's F series F20/F22. As I state some info about the engine, remember Honda designed this engine in the 1990's...

-Highest specific output of any naturally aspirated production engine from 1999 to 2009 when Ferrari introduced the 458 Italia (120hp/liter)

-Carbon fiber reinforced cylinder linings (Fiber Reinforced Metal advanced metallurgy)

-World's first use of metal injection molding for the rocker arms

-Uses forged internals for incredible durability (as a matter of fact I know guys with turbo kits who are making over 500WHP on the stock block and head, I also know guys with around 200,000 miles on the engine)

-Molybdenum coated piston skirts for reduced friction

All put together it's a high performance, durable engine with advanced engineering that took nearly a decade to begin showing up in competitors' production engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back