Best Cycle Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have owned and ridden many Suzuki inline 4's since '82. I ride hard and long including dragstrip passes and 2,200 mile trips. I have always used the Fram "orange can of death" bought at Wally World. Never had any oil issue of any kind. All of them lived a long and productive life.

I was in a US Walmart yesterday ( I live in Canada) and was checking out the famous Supertech ST7317 oil filters that many Honda owners use. There were at least a dozen or these filters on the shelf. Every one but three of them had hardened adhesive spread out all over the bottom plate. They were not assembled to very demanding expectations. I bought the 3 that had no adhesive overflow. In comparing the Supertech to the Wix 51356 when I got home, the Wix is so much better constructed. It also costs 4 times as much, but once these Supertechs are gone I'll only go with Wix.

I got a Wix 24941 oil filter for my bike for about $6, which is about half of what they want for an OEM oil filter for it, and it's probably as good or better than an OEM.

A well respected mechanic recommends the K&N filter and Rotella (non-syn) for the Kawasaki ZG-1200 Voyager XII. His Voyager is currently over the 300,000 mile mark and running strong. I hope mine goes that far!!! I am happy with the combo as well.

Originally Posted By: irv
I would look into a Hi-Flo filters, lots of people including racing teams use them.

I just got a bunch of these for my GZ250. Glad to hear they're decent.

Originally Posted By: Redline955
This is a really informative article, done by someone who did a lot of research. I know of many people, including myself, who use the Pure One filters with no problems. Read it and see what you think. http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html

It is informative up to a point. The constructions and anti drain back valves are discussed as well as a rough guide to filter area and types of filter media used. There is no objective data on filtering capability though, which is why this question remains unanswered IMO.

That information listed on the link has been there for a few years now.
While the internals of most filters haven't changed, some may have; a few changed manufacturing plants/sources.
Lower volume filters (like cycles) are more pron to this than faster turnover filters.
I use auto filters on my cycles for that reason alone; but also because auto filters cost less than specific cycle filters.
I haven't switched to Super-tech filters from Wal-mart yet, but that may be coming.
Wally world filters are decent quality filters. (Champion made)

I have used the supertech filters for years. I bought one a few days ago for an upcoming change. You cant beat it for $2.50.

+1 for HiFlowFiltro. The are the maker of K&N motorcycle oil filters, by the way. HiFlowFiltro also makes good OEM replacement air filters under their own name. I do not think they make any K&N air filters.

The Purolator motorcycle oil filters I saw that Amazon sold were made in China.

WIX & Napa/Gold filters are way overpriced, but buying a year's worth for the family fleet from fleetfilters.com is very affordable. I aggregate the filters into one yearly order to save on shipping charges.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
+1 for HiFlowFiltro. The are the maker of K&N motorcycle oil filters, by the way. HiFlowFiltro also makes good OEM replacement air filters under their own name. I do not think they make any K&N air filters.

Hi-Flo Filtro on the left, K&N on the right.

HF123_1.jpg

I use the Hi-Flo's on my bikes if I cant get them I use Emgo.

The above posters are right Hi-Flo's make K&N's and some OEM brands.

You can get Emgo or Hi-Flo's onlike for like $3 and change.

Originally Posted By: beechcraftted
I have owned and ridden many Suzuki inline 4's since '82. I ride hard and long including dragstrip passes and 2,200 mile trips. I have always used the Fram "orange can of death" bought at Wally World. Never had any oil issue of any kind. All of them lived a long and productive life.

I've seen people speak well of them on other forums also.
I think I may go with a Fram CH 6012 cycle oil filter at my next oil change in the Spring, with a mix of leftover oils I have : Delvac, Rotella, and Delo..

I've seen Hi Flo HF401 filters for sale on ebay and amazon for just $3.40 each but the shipping charge kind of kills the deal. If I could get them locally I would. The CH6012 sells for about $3.50 locally.

Is it me or does the K&N look like the media is a bit thicker? By the way Dennis Kirk has Hiflowfiltro for $7 to $9 depending on the application. Tons of motorcycle stuff there and if you buy $100 on various things shipping is free. Just saying, it is Christmas. Shipping on filters is not high though as long as you are not getting ripped on Ebay or Amazon. Go to denniskirk.com if interested.

I use the Purolator Pure One auto filter on 1 bike and have never had any problems despite it's recommended not to. On the same note, I would also use the ST filters if they are still made by Champion Labs, or NAPA Gold.

On my other bike (Harley) I use the Harley filter. Although many aftermarket filters will work, some of the Harley engines are a higher flow rate with lower pressure, thus a 30 micron filter is recommended. I have heard some problems with the use of 5-10 micron on these motors.
Going the other way, the other system - higher pressure, the 5-10 micron filters are ideal & recommended.

1st - 2nd pass efficiency / quality / known to be good in the MC world / reasonable price / available in longer than standard length / --- all or a combination of most listed works for me.

Shell Rotella 5w-40 (in one bike)
Amsoil 20w50 (in other bike)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back