Best Cycle Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides the Kawasaki OEM oil filter, which do you think would be the best : Wix, K&N, NAPA, or Fram?

You'll probably get a lot of replies, so, here's mine: OEM; WIX; Purolator. Those are what I've used for years in a variety of MC's, mainly Suzuki's, and never had a problem.

Nice thing about Puro's - Amazon runs some really good specials ever so often, and you can get 'em for around $6.00, no shipping charges if you buy 4 or so...
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Take the Fram form your list and add the Mobil 1 oil filter. I buy M1 oil change specials for cars that M1 makes no oil filter for, so I get an inexpensive M1 filter for the bikes instead.

I got a Wix for about $6. They wanted $10 for an OEM and about $7 for a NAPA.

I can get a Fram CH6012 for it for about $3.50 at Walmart someone said, but I think I'll go with the Wix. I tend to think a Wix is better than an OEM and is also cheaper.

PS - I don't understand why both of those Purolator ML16812 oil filters are different. One at the Purolator website looks like the one my bike takes. The ones sold on amazon in a 2 pack look like canister type oil filters but have the same part number.
21.gif

Anyone know what's up with these?

The motorcycle specific Purolator filters are real junk, in the same boat as Fram. I use the auto Pure One that gets some of the highest ratings. Maybe you could go to the forums that discuss your bike, and find the Pure One part number.

You use a car oil filter on a motorcycle? A PureONE is a car oil filter and I was just reading at their website that a PureONE is not recommended for motorcycles because they would restrict the oil flow too much..

Originally Posted By: Redline955
The motorcycle specific Purolator filters are real junk, in the same boat as Fram. I use the auto Pure One that gets some of the highest ratings. Maybe you could go to the forums that discuss your bike, and find the Pure One part number.

My cartridge Purolator filter for my Yamaha is a well built unit with more media than the Wix.

Please dont run a fram. I have seen a ver low mileage older Kawasaki have a lubrication related failure with a fram.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
You use a car oil filter on a motorcycle? A PureONE is a car oil filter and I was just reading at their website that a PureONE is not recommended for motorcycles because they would restrict the oil flow too much..

I have been running Purolator Pureones on my Polaris ATVs for two years now with no problems. I believe that story to be a "We dont liability" thing. Any time its a spin-on type, I would go with a automotive filter, even if you feel the Pureone is too restrictive, try the Walmart Supertech. There is a site that crosses all the filters over to car types. There is actually alot of car parts that match Polaris parts, such as cooling fans and thermostats, that you are just paying the dealer fees when you could get the same part or even superior part at Advance Auto.

Yes but my bike takes a cartridge type filter equal to a Wix 24941 so I don't think a spin on filter will work on it.

In that case I have had good luck with K&N, Purolator, and Wix.

The K&N had the most media and it as synthetic instead of a paper/syn blend.

OK thanks. Hopefully the Wix will work good. I've shied away from Wix car oil filters in the past because they were so small compared to all the other brands, but then I came to BITOG and heard everyone talk so well of Wix filters.

thumbsup2.gif

While the Wix/Napa Gold filter is not the most efficient filter on the market by far, they are built for flow, solid construction, and longevity. The Wix/NG can is stout like a Mobil 1, K&N, or Amsoil, at about half the price. The filter is not as likely to reach full capacity if left on too long in an extreme situation. The up front bypass is a good design that some folks like.

The PureOne is more efficient and flows really well these days, but the can is not near as heavy duty and the goofy gold color is an issue for some folks. I still like them and would not hesitate to use them on a bike, regardless of what Purolator says. Just my opinion.

Years ago, I used Perf-form oil filters, but have not heard much about them around here. They are somewhat expensive and online order only, it seems. But the quality seemed very good.

There's nothing wrong with Fram cartridge filters.
They are widely available Wal-mart carries some; most auto parts stores care several brands.
Most cycle spin-on filters (except Suzuki) have an auto filter that will work great for less money.

I use a Bosch Premium on my bike because it seems to the be most available brand in the correct size. It has had good reviews on here and seems to work well. I change my oil and filter as soon as my shift feel goes south. That's usually about 3k and I bet just about any filter can handle that.

I would look into a Hi-Flo filters, lots of people including racing teams use them.
Also, if truth be known, a lot of what your currently using could be a Hi-Flo anyways as they make them for certain OEM's.

Do a google search, they are great filters and priced about half of what your probably paying for a filter with a better known name on the side of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back