Best Car wash / wax combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax works pretty well. I've used it a number of times, though the wax effect doesn't last as long as a dedicated wax would, in my experience. YMMV.

I like the discount stuff. I think it is Corral? It is blue and at either Meijer or China-Mart, works fine for me.

The combined ones are useless as far as im concerned. Use Megs gold class and just do a real wax twice a year and you wont have to mess with a product that only lasts one rainfall

Originally Posted By: BrandonVA
would i need to buy some sort of sprayer for that? any other options?

Normal $1 sprayer from Home Depot will work fine. The finer the mist, the better.

A cheaper alternative is Opti-Seal - but it will take you about 15 minutes versus 5. Plus it doesn't repel dirt as well as Hydro. But Opti-Seal only runs $20-$25 for an 8 oz bottle. I've done 6 cars with my 8oz bottle and I still have 75% left. From my experience, it lasts about 3 months on a car that is parked outside 24/7 in San Francisco and is only washed monthly. You apply Opti-Seal with a generic yellow foam applicator.

If you want something that lasts longer, you're probably a good candidate for a paint coating or something like Sonax Polymer Net Shield.

I have not tried any of the mystical coatings, but the best wash / wax combo product - for not a crazy high price are Eagle One Wax as You Wash, followed by Eagle One Wax as You Dry OVER a good wax already there. Something like Colonite 476 or 915. (Don't waste your time with Colonite 845). I used 915 a couple months ago and it's awesome. Great luster, super huge protection so far and road junk just slides off.

I'm not saying this Eagle One soap is super aggressive OR takes the place of wax, but it sure does gently lift bugs and gunk off - on the other hand it's not aggressive at all to existing waxes. Now I doubt it really adds much if any wax, but again I don't want it stripping my wax which it doesn't and if it adds anything, then it's a bonus. The Wax as u Dry makes the car drying super fast, adds a little protection over your wax job and good to go.

If you are looking to avoid tradition waxing you can use a spray wax (either OTC or prof) and use it during the drying process or after you dry or after the car is dry. Depending on the product. The technology for this has increased vastly over the years and has increased protection and shine.

If you're looking for pure convenience, give no-rinse washes and spray waxes a try.

You could do far, far worse than the Optimum No-Rinse and Optimum Spray Wax combo (or Opti-Seal).

I started doing this to my car years ago, so there may be better products out there.

Go to the local spray car wash and use the WAX button instead of the rinse button and your good to go, don't know what they use but the paint comes out slick when you dry
21.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic

If you want something that lasts longer, you're probably a good candidate for a paint coating or something like Sonax Polymer Net Shield.

What do you think of the Sonax TC? I've heard some good things about it.

Wash+Wax soap lasts the shortest. It is not designed to replace wax. Wax as u dry lasts a bit longer, but still isn't meant to replace wax. Spray wax, good ones can replace wax only if you have prepped the surface meaning polishing. If you're going that far to pre-prep, you might as well wax the car since these days is the easiest and fastest step.

For your needs, I recommend putting a base coat of wax, then when washing always use a wash+wax soap then dry with a wax-as-u-dry spray. That method will at least put some wax on your car. Whatever products you choose is up to you. If you want to see how good wax-as-u-dry can get some Meguair's Ultimate Quik Wax on your fingertips. that Meg's isn't a wax-as-u-dry, but you can use it as so. Get enough to dampen your fingers so that it dries. You can almost feel it cross-link. And that's with the oil on your fingers.

Last edited:
I tried ONR Wash and Wax today. When diluted 1 oz to 2-gal and used with a chenille mf mitt, it works decently well for less-than-perfect paint finishes. It cleans well, adds shine and leaves the surface decently slick. Good product for when you are forced to use a rinseless wash.

Originally Posted By: Zeus33

What do you think of the Sonax TC? I've heard some good things about it.

I'm do not see a Sonax TC? Or are you referring to the Auto Finesse Tough Coat? If so, I have not used it.

Last edited:

I'm do not see a Sonax TC? Or are you referring to the Auto Finesse Tough Coat? If so, I have not used it.

Sorry. I should have been more clear. What do you think of the Sonax PNS The Critic? You are the TC lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back