Best bypass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to install a bypass filter set up. I was looking at either Frantz, Gulf Coast, Motor Guard or Oil Guard. Can any of you that have installed these please help me out?

i'll give it a go, i just installed the frantz onto my 4runner and a gulf coast 01jr on my land cruiser. and i just won a motor guard filter off of ebay and will play around with that. i can say that i like the frantz a bit more than the gulf coast because the gulf coast has a cheesy internal devise to extract the roll, it has no screen like the frantz and the center tube dosent seal like the frantz(infact there is no seal on the center tube thingy in the 01jr) i do however like the design, and construction (still needs alittle fine tuning) of the 01jr (the clamp is awsome). maybe if someone would combine the 2 or three designs we might have something to write home about, i did notice today on a instuction manual that i got from Ralph when i ordered my 01jr, it showed the flow of the motor guard filters to be opposite of the frantz(typo maybe) but then again i look at all of the restrictor holes that are incorporated into each design and they are all in the return side of the units, kinda odd considering that you dont want the full pressure inside of the unit but rather just what is needed to do the job(leaking potential). the o1jr is suposed to be rated at 75psi and i dont know what the frantz is (asked the owner but she didnt know either)

the motor guard is made of cast aluminum, not really one of my favorite metals. so thats why i opted for the others. but i can see how it would be superior in its filtering (kinda crimping both ends of the roll to form a better seal around the canister), now if some one would take the design of the motor guard make it with the fiberous nylon like the 01jr and putting stainless or of the like, bungs for the fluid it would be an outstanding over engineered something i would love to try to sell to the public, right now at work i talk up the frantz

hope this helps a little

They all hook up pretty much the same way. The orifice is at the outlet so that it won't plug up with large chunks of carbon. It's a carry over from the old days when engines were a lot dirtier. My 43 year old Frantz came with the orifice at the inlet. When you have a filter tested to 400 PSI and rated at 125 PSI it doesn't matter where the orifice is. The Motor Guard will take a lot more pressure than 125 PSI without leaking. I run them at 135 PSI at work. The others will start leaking before the Motor Guard It would probably explode before it started leaking.
It's like a hydraulic fitting. I've never had someone send back a Motor Guard and tell me they didn't know it was die cast aluminum. The old Frantz oil filters were rated to at least 100 PSI. I've had a few that used a gasket with no memory and didn't last long. I've had a few that have lasted many years. Complaints are very expensive. I don't want complaints.
If you purchase a filter get a Motor Guard, Frantz or Gulf Coast. Personally I like the Motor Guard the best. Don't waste money on less effective filters with expensive elements. The Australians have a copy of the Frantz made in the 50's. One company has an advanced element. Cut open the cartridge and you will find a roll of toilet paper. I can't see paying 10.00 for a roll of toilet paper. Tissue paper is the best filter know. If you made a housing to fit it a box of kleenex tissue would work as good as toilet paper.

Ralph
burnout.gif

[ August 16, 2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: RalphPWood ]

I have the oil guard and I'm very impressed with it. Definitely check their website before you buy. Don't be fooled by vague claims of filtering ability, especially below 1 micron(there is no test to prove it). Try to compare the absolute filtration of each filter. I looked at a lot of filters and felt the oilguard was the best bang for the buck. Sure i have to buy filter elements for it, but I'm more comfortable with a consistent quality element designed to filter and stay together in oil.
Be happy with your decision. Any bypass filtration is a vast improvement over the stock spin-on.

I'm using the OilGuard too. Oil analyses have shown that it's definitely working. Whether it works better than the TP filters I don't think anyone can say for certain. I don't know what kind of vehicle you have, but you should definitely identify the location of the filter in order to find a filter that will mount and fit in that location. OilGuard can be better for things like compact cars because they have a filter that's smaller than any TP filter.

quote:

Originally posted by gwillis6:
I am looking to install a bypass filter set up. I was looking at either Frantz, Gulf Coast, Motor Guard or Oil Guard. Can any of you that have installed these please help me out?

Is there some reason you don't want to look at the Amsoil By-pass filters? If you are looking for a easy to maintaine set-up Amsoil uses spin on filters that are similar to a Spin on Full Flow filter but have high desinsty media made of celluso, cotton fibers.

Here is a cutaway of the filter:

-

I have reviewed some incredible results with the Harvard filter. Harvard has been around for years and produces a very high quality filter product. Reasonably priced but does not have easily installed 'packages' but gosh, the results...
I have seen diesel engine oil cleaner than 15/13/10 ISO which is pretty incredible. John Kennedy is coming out with a complete kit for the Chevy/GMC Duramax soon. Highly recommended..
George

I have not installed one yet, but after a lot research I feel the OilGuard and Amsoil set are some of the best ones. I totally disagree with T.P. setup.

I will be running the OIlGUARD on my toyota and the AMSOIL on my diesel soon.

CRW

I used the Frantz by-pass filter once, and now I'm using the Amsoil dual by-pass filter.

I was very happy with the Frantz, but I went with the Amsoil this time for the ease of changing filters. I like the fact that both filters are remotely located and easy to access.

I like the fact that I only change 3 quarts a year which makes running Amsoil's oil more affordable, and along with that I appreciate not having to drain all the oil three times a year.

Either by-pass seems to be overkill, so you might as well go for ease of filter change.

[ August 24, 2003, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: greencrew ]

Steve, the Frantz seems to keep the oil cleaner. I don't know how fair the comparison is though.

Frantz:
dino Castol dino
by-pass changed 2k
full flow changed 6k

DB:
Amsoil syn
by-pass changed 12 months (14k)
full flow change 6 months (7k)

I recall someone once said that no media cleans as well as good ol toilet paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back